GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How do I fix leaks in my cold air intake?

DeVfrodan

Passed Driver's Ed
For you guys who remember my saga from the past few months with phantom misfires (Or what felt like misfires) and weird issues with my car (2013 mk6 GTI), I have finally found the culprit with a smoke test; I have three leaks in my CTS Turbo cold air intake (The revised one that looks very similar to Unitronic's).
The three leaks are in these places:
- At the connection between the MAF sensor housing to the coupler that attaches it to the main intake pipe, where the coupler is connected to the MAF housing. (The clamp is tight, but air is getting through)
- At the connection where the pcv hose meets with the main intake pipe. (The clip is slightly broken but still seats and holds the hose in place, but there is clearly some oil leaking from it. Maybe the o-ring?)
- At the bolt in the hole on the intake pipe located where it turns down into the turbo. (That one should just need tightening but any other helpful tips are appreciated!)
I am looking for any tips or fixes for these leaks. I don't know how to fix them as they are installed to the best of my ability and seemingly done properly, so mainly I am looking for advice as to how I can eliminate these leaks and have a relatively air tight intake system that doesn't cause my car to shit it's pants sometimes...

For anyone wondering, I have had an ongoing issue that was consistently happening but at random intervals, seemingly at no particular repeatable circumstance or environment. The car would feel as if fuel was cut, just for a moment, or sometimes lasting multiple seconds where the car could not recover until I put in the clutch, let off the gas and coasted to a stop (The car would drive away fine from said stop afterward). I have also been experiencing a fluctuating high idle that tries to correct its self when the engine is warm, which lead me to do some preventative maintenance and I replaced the pcv valve. Obviously this did nothing, along with vacuum line checks and forum surfing, but finally the issue is found, which is why I'm asking for your guys help to fix it!
Before you people gain a bad opinion about CTS, keep in mind that I installed the intake in my driveway as my first ever modification to a car. I am a 19 year old guy who has never worked on cars, who's only knowledge comes from youtube, so roast me, not CTS. The intake is actually pretty awesome and other than my lack of mechanical prowess, theres nothing wrong with the intake.

Anyways, hope you guys can give me some solid ways to fix the leaks as I am pretty broke from paying to find this issue and don't want to take it to my mechanic if I don't have to.
Happy new year and all that, heres to a year of happy cars and happy drivers,
DeV

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
You can buy a new PCV breather hose on ebay for cheap, comes with a new O-ring. Maybe get a new coupler and hose clamp for the MAF one or just adjust it, and I have no clue what the bolt in the hole on the intake is. I'm not familiar wit the CTS intake.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Tighten everything up.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
- At the connection between the MAF sensor housing to the coupler that attaches it to the main intake pipe, where the coupler is connected to the MAF housing. (The clamp is tight, but air is getting through)

Pull it apart, make sure the pipe and inside of the coupler are free of dirt and clean. Reattach carefully and don't over tighten the clamp which could distort or warp the coupler/pipe. This is intake piping not boost piping, it's not going to blow off from pressure, don't need to torque it down. lol Make sure the pipe is fully seated into the coupler, not crooked or misaligned.

- At the connection where the pcv hose meets with the main intake pipe. (The clip is slightly broken but still seats and holds the hose in place, but there is clearly some oil leaking from it. Maybe the o-ring?)

If it's leaking, it's not seated. Replace it and the o-ring.

- At the bolt in the hole on the intake pipe located where it turns down into the turbo. (That one should just need tightening but any other helpful tips are appreciated!)

Are you talking about the two plugs you screw into the rear intake pipe per their instructions?

Follow Joe's advise. Tighten it up. ;) Might try some blue loctite just to help it seal and not worry about them vibrating out based on their location.

vdubnick

Drag Racing Champion
1610558537642.png