GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How exactly should I go about hooking up an amp and subs

Ka0sGh0sT

Hello! New GTI Owner. I have a 2010, had it for a week now. I'm wanting to install my 2 12 inch subs, but have no idea how to hook up the amp for them. I've been asking and told it was easiest to just do a line out converter from the rear speakers to the amp to power the subs. My car has the Dynaudio system in it, so I'm asking those who know more about GTIs with this system.

I don't currently have an amp, so there is some leeway there. I dont know the impedance or RMS of the subs, I remember they are 400 watts, bit not sure if that's max or RMS. They've been out of a car for a while (easily 6 years)

I can do the Line out, that's not a problem, but I'm hoping to save some money from not having to buy one, to drop on a better amp.

I'm asking here as I've searched a lot, on this forum and others, and havent gotten a definite, "yes, you can splice into these that are before the amp, and run them to the aftermarket amp." I was hoping to find an amp that has speaker wire inputs as well, I've also seen speaker wire to RCA adapters that dont use a converter box, they just get spliced in

Last edited:

gijoewoz

Go Kart Champion
Firstly, you need to make sure that the rear speaker outputs are full range. I don't think that the fronts are, but the rears should be. If they aren't full-range, then you won't get the frequencies from them that you need to run the subs.

Once you confirm that they are full-range, you can tap into them wherever you find most convenient. I'd personally grab the signal from behind the head unit (then again, I'd replace the head unit anyway). As long as you have a full-range signal, you can send the speaker level input to an amp that accepts high level inputs, then you won't need a line out converter. You'll only need the LOC if your amp does not accept high level inputs, since you don't have the amp, you might as well just make sure that what you buy has high level in.

Regarding the sub impedance, often it's stamped onto the magnet. If there are no markings to show the impedance you can buy (or borrow) a digital multi meter to check them. One you know the impedance, you can match an amp to them. You need to know if they are dual voice coils, or single voice coils, and the impedance of those coils.

Power isn't so much an issue, you can get an amp with half the subs rated power, or double the rated power, it really doesn't matter. You can use the gains on the amp to set a higher powered amp to a safe level, or use a less powerful amp and set the gains to avoid clipping. You'll have more output potential with more power, but it takes a lot more power to achieve very small gains in SPL (double the power equates to 3dB increase max).

Ka0sGh0sT

This thread has everything you need to know about hooking up a line output converter, amp, and sub to a MK6 GTI with Dynaudio:

https://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35644

I didnt see anything about a line out converter in there. That thread did come up in my search. It may be my phone, but last post was a control knob install, and just tapping into the wires in the b pillar. I didnt see any continuation from that point.

Really, my question is, since I have the dynaudio amp, can I tap into it's inputs to skip using a line out converter for an amp for my subs?

Tony48

Go Kart Champion
I didnt see anything about a line out converter in there. That thread did come up in my search. It may be my phone, but last post was a control knob install, and just tapping into the wires in the b pillar. I didnt see any continuation from that point.

Really read through that thread. There's a ton of pages but worthwhile info if you really want to do this. The OP did extensive testing and logging using a Line Output converter tapped off the rear speakers and determined the Dynaudio system reduces the bass at higher volume levels to prevent distortion in the stock speakers. You can use a LOC such as the LC2i that is designed to restore the bass at higher volume levels.

Really, my question is, since I have the dynaudio amp, can I tap into it's inputs to skip using a line out converter for an amp for my subs?

Possibly yes if you use a high quality amp that will accept a full range signal and convert it to a sub signal. There aren't many with that option and many amps won't be able to deal with the DC offset present in the low level signal before the Dynaudio amp. I dealt with this for my car and I had to build a filter that removed the DC offset (huge pain in the ass and not worth it at all).

The LC2i setup is proven to work by many for our cars. If you want a relatively simple way to add some quality bass without breaking the bank that's the way to go.

Ka0sGh0sT

Really read through that thread. There's a ton of pages but worthwhile info if you really want to do this. The OP did extensive testing and logging using a Line Output converter tapped off the rear speakers and determined the Dynaudio system reduces the bass at higher volume levels to prevent distortion in the stock speakers. You can use a LOC such as the LC2i that is designed to restore the bass at higher volume levels.

Possibly yes if you use a high quality amp that will accept a full range signal and convert it to a sub signal. There aren't many with that option and many amps won't be able to deal with the DC offset present in the low level signal before the Dynaudio amp. I dealt with this for my car and I had to build a filter that removed the DC offset (huge pain in the ass and not worth it at all).

The LC2i setup is proven to work by many for our cars. If you want a relatively simple way to add some quality bass without breaking the bank that's the way to go.

Thanks for responding, and explaining. I get it now. The full range deal. That is a good reason, and an actual reason, instead of just saying to do the line out. (Not here, but every time I ask in a few facebook groups, I dont get any kind of explanation why it wouldn't work, it's a bit maddening to ask if something will or will not work, and why or why not, and get most of the question ignored)

As for that thread, I think my browser is broken or something. I don't see anything for pages. But it's just that thread, I've checked others and they have a page thing. Quite odd. I'll check it on a desktop soon.

Tony48

Go Kart Champion
Thanks for responding, and explaining. I get it now. The full range deal. That is a good reason, and an actual reason, instead of just saying to do the line out. (Not here, but every time I ask in a few facebook groups, I dont get any kind of explanation why it wouldn't work, it's a bit maddening to ask if something will or will not work, and why or why not, and get most of the question ignored)

As for that thread, I think my browser is broken or something. I don't see anything for pages. But it's just that thread, I've checked others and they have a page thing. Quite odd. I'll check it on a desktop soon.
No problem. That thread is 35 pages so definitely check with another browser or on desktop.