GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How long do Golfs/GTI's last?

alecbaktamian

I'm 16 and got my car in June. It's a mk6 gti DSG. I was just wondering what the average "life-span" is on our cars? How long till it's time for a new one

pixlgeek

Passed Driver's Ed
There are so many factors in a question like this.

Perhaps the single most important factor is how you drive. Second to that is how you maintain the vehicle (regular oil changes/tune-ups/etc).

As long as you take care of the car it will take care of you. With a GTI (Gasonline obviously) you can get 150,000+ miles out of it. Again, this is all under the caveat that you take care of the vehicle, break it in properly, and maintain it when required.

Congrats on your new car, this board is a wealth of knowledge for you. You've got a great car there, please do take good care of it.

DarkCloak

Banned
With proper care forever. Follow the service intervals in your manual to the T. If you maintain it right you should be able to keep you car in peak condition well through college and at least 10 years after.

Once you the car gets to be about 6-8 years old you should have afew repairs needed. Alternator, starter, etc.. most of these can be easily replaced for a few hundred bucks and will be good for another 100k. The GTI can last forever if maintained well. A lot of people will think they will need a new car at this point but they will not.

Now is your LA Los Angeles or Louisiana? If in CA your car will be exposed to very little weather and your risk of rust will be very low. Just wash and wax regularly. This is one of the reasons why in California you see a lot more classics. The cars are exposed to less.

If in Louisiana. The constant rain and precipitation will eventually threaten the underside of the car and rust will be a very real threat if not well cared for. This should not be a factor though for at least ten years.

Chef_R_Gamie

Ready to race!
There are so many factors in a question like this.

Perhaps the single most important factor is how you drive. Second to that is how you maintain the vehicle (regular oil changes/tune-ups/etc).

As long as you take care of the car it will take care of you. With a GTI (Gasonline obviously) you can get 150,000+ miles out of it. Again, this is all under the caveat that you take care of the vehicle, break it in properly, and maintain it when required.

Congrats on your new car, this board is a wealth of knowledge for you. You've got a great car there, please do take good care of it.

Totally agree with everything above comment says... Take care of it for real .... You're young and you'll probably want to drive it hard and since you just learned how to drive just take it easy, it will save your life and your car's life as well... If you give it a reason to last it will but don't take care of it and the car will let you know how upset it is with you! Haha ;) enjoy it

alecbaktamian

Thanks and what do you guys think about it being DSG? I live in Los Angeles and I didn't get stick cause my dad said it was impractical. I've been getting so much shit for the car being automatic lately since all my friends are getting stick cars it's getting to me

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
at 16 it lasts as long as the next cool party and a car full of friends and roofies.

Chef_R_Gamie

Ready to race!
Thanks and what do you guys think about it being DSG? I live in Los Angeles and I didn't get stick cause my dad said it was impractical. I've been getting so much shit for the car being automatic lately since all my friends are getting stick cars it's getting to me

I will say that while I prefer manual .... Your 16 yr old friends ( no offense) have no idea what DSG is and that is one of the best auto options around.. It's dual clutch if you didn't know and is a pretty good set up for you at your age and being in LA.... :thumbsup:

MooreHeat

Ready to race!
I had a MK2 ('87) just last summer. It drove great for me, I never took it very far 'just in case'. It had 180k on it. I sold it to a friend before I deployed, and he blew it up. This is also the same guy who's transmission went out in 2008 Silverado.. sooo yeah.

sh314

Ready to race!
I have no idea as the gti was my first car too, but they should last a long time. Prob not by the way i drove in the past year, I've been babying it much more now.

littleazn248

Go Kart Champion
there is no set time to how long any car will last. It depends on how many parts you are willing to replace as well as how well you up keep the car.

Bender1

Banned
at 16 it lasts as long as the next cool party and a car full of friends and roofies.

Beat me to it.

Even if you don't wreck it (you will), chances are this car will have a much shorter life in your hands than someone else's.

If your folks are buying it for you, here is what you do:

"Mom, Dad, I really want a VW GTI but I know its too much car for me at this point. What if I were to get a good condition used Civic for now, would you be willing to help me out on a GTI when I graduate from high school?"

1) Points with your folks
2) You will actually learn how to drive well, rather than just learning how to drive fast.

A base golf is perfectly fine for a new driver and will last a long time with proper care, but I suspect it will look like this

in short order.

WinkleDinkle

Passed Driver's Ed
Beat me to it.

Even if you don't wreck it (you will), chances are this car will have a much shorter life in your hands than someone else's.

If your folks are buying it for you, here is what you do:

"Mom, Dad, I really want a VW GTI but I know its too much car for me at this point. What if I were to get a good condition used Civic for now, would you be willing to help me out on a GTI when I graduate from high school?"

1) Points with your folks
2) You will actually learn how to drive well, rather than just learning how to drive fast.

A base golf is perfectly fine for a new driver and will last a long time with proper care, but I suspect it will look like this

in short order.

I always go into rage mode when I see spoiled kids get cars like this bought for them, but then I feel better when I realize there are other bitter old people like me on here.

GTIMKV20

APR Stage I
GTI at 16 is just plain dangerous. I drove my 89 Mitsu Galant like a racecar when I was 16. 1.2L 4 banger never felt so fast, lol.

As others said, the GTI will last forever if maintained, cared for, and not driven like an asshat. But at 16, I'm sorry but your chances of it making it to 18 in that car are quite slim.

As for your manual friends. Read up on the DSG transmission, then explain to them they will NEVER be able to shift as fast as you. true story.

Bender1

Banned
Sorry - I misread your first post. I see you already got your car.

1) Don't drive like an ass-hat.
2) Don't drive beyond your skills (which you probably don't know yet).
3) Routine maintenance.
4) keep it clean.
5) Don't mod with cheap shit and dont mod without thinking about what you are really doing.

Follow those and it should last you a long time.