GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

HYDE16 Reviews - Fluidampr® Crank Pulley for Volkswagen TSI® Applications

Status
Not open for further replies.

JT641

Banned
Is there any install instructions? Just need to know how difficult the install is to know whether or not I need to budget cost of installation at a shop.

Shouldn't take more than an hour to an hour and a half tops by a reputable shop. I having a shop do mine. Yes it comes with instructions as shown in a previous reply

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!
You guys make it sound like this part is basically a mandatory upgrade for K04 and up?

I'm gonna do this mod just because it reduces vibrations for SMFW and adds power safely.

I'm not sure why, but a lot of people just go CAI, stage 1 tune or CAI, downpipe and stage 2 tune. And they leave out the other "small" mods (TOP, Throttle pipe, DV+, Damper pulley).

I'm going for a fast Gti and all these "small" mods add up to some nice HP/TQ gains and smoother power delivery across the board.... so why not do it?

I'm only stage 1 and I will be getting this at some point (after my stage 3 clutch is paid off).

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!
Is there any install instructions? Just need to know how difficult the install is to know whether or not I need to budget cost of installation at a shop.

Yeah, I'm thinking a shop shouldnt charge more than 1 hour of labor. I'm just hesitant to do this mod myself due to that special tool that is required and me being nervous of screwing up my engine in some way.

In theory, its just as easy as removing the plastic liner on the passenger side wheel well and then removing the bolt holding the pulley and holding it in place with a special tool and putting the new pulley on with new bolt and maybe a new serp belt?

JT641

Banned
Ordered mine from USP and the Belt, Idler Pulley and Crank Bolt from ECS, Should all be here by early next week

NeoSA1

Ready to race!
I'm genuinely not convinced about this upgrade.

To get this part and have it installed will probably cost me close to $700.

What you're all saying is that the stock pulley isn't capable of "protecting" the engine when you've modified the power output and that the engine is basically waiting to grenade itself?

I'm all for "safety first" mods and the "better safe than sorry" approach. Honestly, I am. That's why I have changed my cam chain tensioner and ALL of the associated parts, as well as upgrading my DSG cooler to a larger size version.

But this part doesn't convince me. I have NEVER heard of anyone breaking a modified GTi because their pulley wasn't dampening enough vibrations. Never, ever, ever. Again, I'm not disputing that the part works - I am disputing the "need" for this part that's being hyped here.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion

What you're all saying is that the stock pulley isn't capable of "protecting" the engine when you've modified the power output and that the engine is basically waiting to grenade itself?

I'm all for "safety first" mods and the "better safe than sorry" approach. Honestly, I am. That's why I have changed my cam chain tensioner and ALL of the associated parts, as well as upgrading my DSG cooler to a larger size version.

But this part doesn't convince me. I have NEVER heard of anyone breaking a modified GTi because their pulley wasn't dampening enough vibrations. Never, ever, ever. Again, I'm not disputing that the part works - I am disputing the "need" for this part that's being hyped here.

If you had a smfw you'd be considering it a lot more.

NeoSA1

Ready to race!
@HYDE16 - honestly bud, no - the usual suspects for people killing engines over here in shi...I mean, SUNNY south africa are chain tensioners and people running MOO-HASSIVE boost and smashing rods etc.

The argument here is compelling enough to at least warrant some investigation. I'll ask my tuner what his thoughts are :)

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!

$700!?!?! The part costs $400/450 with bolt and belt. another 100 for install and done $550 max I would think. And this mod is definately not required at all and neither are the throttle pipe or turbo outlet pipe. But if a part is better than stock and increases performance on top of it, why not replace it? I agree it is a bit pricey though.

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
@HYDE16 - honestly bud, no - the usual suspects for people killing engines over here in shi...I mean, SUNNY south africa are chain tensioners and people running MOO-HASSIVE boost and smashing rods etc.

The argument here is compelling enough to at least warrant some investigation. I'll ask my tuner what his thoughts are :)

That's me there, timing chain failure on engine #1.

Jeff43

Ready to race!
I received mine and have an appointment at KMD here in NJ for the install Friday morning with new belt and stretch bolt.

I'll post up impressions...

Mods are in my sig...

Calkulin

Ready to race!
Since I see more people are getting this, anyone willing to sell or let me borrow the holder tool? That's all I need to get it mounted

Status
Not open for further replies.