GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ignition Switch Replacement/Key Programming 2012 VW Golf

mmorton1

Help! I recently had to replace the ignition switch in my 2012 VW Golf 2.5L because the ignition locked. It would allow me to turn the key far enough to unlock the wheel, but not far enough to start the vehicle. The ignition switch came with a key that went with it. The problem is although the key fits the new ignition switch and it turns all the way, it only starts for about 1-2 seconds before cutting off. The dash says "key not in range". I had a locksmith attempt to program the new key to the car, but he failed to do so successfully. He was also
unable to bypass or deprogram the old key. He then made a copy of the new key with the guts from the previous key, however, that also did not work. Although the ignition switch had been replaced, the old key fob still unlocks the vehicle, makes the alarm go off, etc. My guess is the new key/key fob I received does the same with the car it came from being that it's a used part. The dealership said they could attempt to program the new key, but it's not guaranteed that it will work and I'd still have to pay. They also said they could replace the ignition switch themselves and program it for $1500-2k, which is more than I can afford especially being that I dont feel the car is even worth that much. Can anyone help me with a possible solution???