GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

In defense of the stock suspension

MasterKevin

Ready to race!
i don't understand how people say its not worth it.

When i put my Bilsteins in i wished it would of been the 1st upgrade i did.

It made daily driving from a to b actually FUN.

lol lol

My mechanic was even amazed. And the car definately didn't feel like a fwd car no more.

As i do live write next to a nice mountain pass also :p hahaha

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
About 1 inch lower would be the ideal height for me. I doubt I will miss the stock ride quality when I go lower.

I'm not too sure what kind of setup you're looking to switch too, but from my experience with the suspension on my MKV.....

The aftermarket springs provide a softer/smoother ride compared to stock because they're progressive

I had the DriverGear/Eibach springs (linear springs) and those were nice for handling, but stiffer than stock for sure when driving normal

But yeah....this car just needs a 1" drop to look perfect. Eibach Pro-Kit looks like it'll do the job

Bender1

Banned
Yes I am not talking looks - I am talking suspension geometry in reference to the "best" handling set up.

As I said initially, if you are going to make it a full track car, there are certainly things you can do - but for 99% of folks on here, its counter productive to lower it more than a 1/2 inch (again, from a performance aspect). Stiffer shocks/struts is understandable, but you are not making a geometric change when you do that.

MasterKevin

Ready to race!
Each to their own :p

:p

Bender1

Banned
did you change height at all?

This is not really a to each their own thing - i have to do some measurements, but i STRONGLY suspect that stock height is within 1/2 inch of optimal at WORST (in other words, it may be even closer). Yes it is to each their own in terms of feel, but there is certainly a geometry that will give BEST skidpad Gs and slalom times when everything else is equal.

EDIT: see the photo now (that was not there before). Looks F-ing awesome but I am not talking looks.

Last edited:

Cybe

GolfMK5 Graduate
I had to kill the body-roll with a rear bar. It took care of that and the car pushing (or at least the feel of it pushing) so I'm keeping it.

Otherwise, everything's just right as-is.

PandaGTI

Go Kart Champion
I agree too... stock suspension with stock "summer" tires is tuned really nicely right out of the box.

My problem OTOH was that the car came with the crappy Dunlop A/S...

1) so I decided to upgrade the tires, but then I read reviews that there is an optimum amount of grip that any car with stock suspension is best with... however the tires I wanted to get have more grip than the stock suspension can handle... leading to more body roll which meant actually less contact patch which ultimately causes even less grip... similar to a magazine's review about different size tires on a regular Golf. Ultimately I went with Dunlop Direzza Z1 Starspecs.

2) So I decided to upgrade suspension too and got the H&R Street Performance Coilovers that I have set at about 1.5 inches lower than stock. This combination provides tons and tons and tons of grip on that backroads... no torque steer and ultimately feels very planted and fast... the downside is that the lowered suspension got rid of the tossability of the car, the ability to steer into oversteer/ understeer with the pedal... with the XDS I just point the steering wheel to the inside of the turn and it pulls the car in that direction... but I don't think that really is oversteer and it causes the XDS to work overtime I guess. On tighter courses, the car understeers into turns, but then I give it a bit more gas coming out and the XDS pulls the front end into the turn... that's still understeer

3) So to try to get that easy tossability back... I've read great results from MKV owners using bigger rear sway bars, I've even found out that MK6's come with a "hollow" 24mm rear sway to give it more oversteer, but MKV's where upgrading to 24-28mm solid bars that are still gonna be stiffer than the 24mm rear bar... then I found out about AWE tuning's MK6 GTI running an exclusive H&R time attack 28mm rear bar:

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5528

In fact in AWE's MKV GTI they where the fastest fwd in a redline time attack event which was equipped with Bilstein PSS9's, and the 28mm H&R rear sway bar + Dunlop Direzza Starspecs

In fact H&R equips all their project cars with the smaller H&R front sway bar + 24mm rear sway bar.

So I'm gonna go with the H&R 24mm tomorrow + raise the coilovers from 1.5inches low to 1.2 inches low then I'm doing a track day at Streets of Willow next week and see how it goes... if the back end comes too around too much I'll add the front sway bar.

My other experiences with sway bars as well...

First car was a 1994 Honda Accord lowered on TOkico shocks + Ground Control springs + neuspeed rear sway bar... the car was very fast around the turns... pointed the front end in the direction I wanted and kept foot on the gas to keep the rear end planted and it was fast both on offramps and onramps and on the racetrack... I remember being in a hurry when a prototype E46 M3 test driver thought I was trying to catch him and take pictures ... I was just in a hurry but in the turns my 1994 Honda Accord was fast enough around the turns/ freeway onramps and off ramps around Marina Del rey to stay on him... he was annoyed... but it was fun. Downside was... if you weren't on the throttle enough/ braked late into a turn/ or was too slow... that rear end would come around... happened on a canyon road but was easily corrected with throttle making the car look like it pulled off a clean drift... on the track if I went into turns too fast and braked too late the rear end would just come right around... but if you got it just right it was fast around turns.

Next experience with sways... 2001 E46 BMW + H&R cupkit + H&R front sway set to stiff and one side and soft on the opposite side (to give a middle setting) + the H&R rear set to stiff + Hankook V12 evo's... the car had the same feel as E36/ E46 M3's around tracks and canyon roads as far as neutral handling with oversteer when you wanted but much more planted with much higher grip levels that even with it's 185hp the car was faster around canyons and racetracks than my friend's cars (M3, EvoX, S2000, 911)

Now with the GTI... definetly has lots more grip than any of my previous cars with this setup... but I don't get the same throttle steer/ oversteer at will as the previous cars... yet.

KiwiKawaii

Ready to race!
Does adding only a rear sway really help with the handling? I remember reading a post on Golfmkv forum saying that by only changing the RSB it messes up the overall balance of the car.

Personally I think deciding to lower or not is a more difficult decision for the MK6, since it already comes with the same ride height as the Euro versions. As for the MK5, we've got the ride height raised by 15mm (they say) more like 30mm.

On my MK5, I've lowered my car with springs only and theres about 2 finger gap in front and 3 in the back. About the same for MK6 stock height.

I'd wouldn't want to go any lower, since it would change the suspension geometry.

I do think that changing the dampers is a good idea, since the stock ones are tuned to be a bit underdamped.

PandaGTI

Go Kart Champion
Does adding only a rear sway really help with the handling? I remember reading a post on Golfmkv forum saying that by only changing the RSB it messes up the overall balance of the car.

Personally I think deciding to lower or not is a more difficult decision for the MK6, since it already comes with the same ride height as the Euro versions. As for the MK5, we've got the ride height raised by 15mm (they say) more like 30mm.

On my MK5, I've lowered my car with springs only and theres about 2 finger gap in front and 3 in the back. About the same for MK6 stock height.

I'd wouldn't want to go any lower, since it would change the suspension geometry.

I do think that changing the dampers is a good idea, since the stock ones are tuned to be a bit underdamped.

Yeah, but there are more posts on the MKV forum that says it gets the car right where it should be as far as balance between over/ understeer.

I think a rear sway bar on a stock MK6 will mess up the balance, but if you're lowered with very grippy tires... it will bring that same balance back + make the car grip the corners better.

Here is the AWE MK5 at the track with a 28mm rear bar, Bilstein coilovers, and Dunlop Direzza's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlmi9DdV-90

rigti9

Ready to race!
I primarily use mine as a daily driver, but when I take it through the twisties, I'd like to feel the difference of what a rear sway bar might do to help "reduce" body roll. Also, the idea of a bit wider stance, too. I can definitely feel where there is some improvement to be made, but I don't want to lower the car, per say. Not a fan of fenders over wheels look at all.

Cybe

GolfMK5 Graduate
Just wanted to chime in and say great post Panda. I love reading track stories. I "think" I'm a very good driver, but I haven't had any track time.

The bit about too much snap oversteer concerns me; since installing the bar, I haven't been in a long enough set of twisties to experiment with the throttle.

For my (29th) birthday, I'm looking into performance driving schools.

rigti9

Ready to race!
Just wanted to chime in and say great post Panda. I love reading track stories. I "think" I'm a very good driver, but I haven't had any track time.

The bit about too much snap oversteer concerns me; since installing the bar, I haven't been in a long enough set of twisties to experiment with the throttle.

For my (29th) birthday, I'm looking into performance driving schools.

Yah let us know what you think w/ the bar in vs. stock. Something I'm looking into.