GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Injector cleaner?

Zanic L3

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi all,

My car is currently on a stage 2 tune, just replaced the DV for a GFB DV+, I'm just trying to upgrade everything/do a little bit of maintenance.

I was wondering if injector cleaner is worth it or if it's just snake oil? If yes, did you notice anything? And is it worth pouring a bottle of injector cleaner in it if I'm not getting any actual symptoms that I actually might need it?

Thanks,
Z

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
IMO it is worth it. It won't touch the back of valves, but it will help keep the injectors & piston tops clean. I use Chevron Techron.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Can't hurt.

I just use Top Tier fuel.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
I tend to avoid them as they usually leave residues behind.

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
The thing with all of these cleaners is you aren't going to feel a difference. They just do their job in the background while you enjoy the drive. The proof of their effectiveness comes when you open the engine up. I'm hoping the Techron I use will get me more miles down the road before the carbon cleaning is needed.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
The thing with all of these cleaners is you aren't going to feel a difference. They just do their job in the background while you enjoy the drive. The proof of their effectiveness comes when you open the engine up. I'm hoping the Techron I use will get me more miles down the road before the carbon cleaning is needed.

The thing is if you are using Top Tier fuel....they already HAVE additives to clean the injectors and combustion chambers in them. That's the actual designation of Top Tier is the additive package. That's why I smile when people say they get gas from some hole in the wall and "it's the same as Chevron/BP/Conoco/etc because they buy from the same refinery". And if you are putting a bottle of Techron in every tank you'd get the same benefit for the same end price with less trouble just filling up at Top Tier. If you're not putting a bottle in everytime than you're worse off than just using Top Tier which has additives in every gallon, every fillup.

And again, nothing you put in your fuel tank will have any significant affect on reducing carbon buildup, it doesn't touch the valves in anyway. Sure, hvaing a cleaner combustion will keep stuff out of the PCV whcih is where the carbon buildup comes from.......but the fuel already has cleaners in them, and putting in MORE cleaners will actually have a negitive affect as you are basically doubling up on chemicals that can not be fully consumed so you are creating more debris, not less. So buying a bottle of Techron, or a whole pallet, will not get you any extra miles before needing a cleaning.

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Yes...it helps with the combustion chamber cleaning. Valve faces, injectors, plugs, and all which might allow build-up on their surfaces. Just add 2.5oz to 3oz of NAPHTHA to a full tank once or twice between oil changes. Xylene is a good substitute.

Last edited:

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
I don't put a bottle of Techron in with each fill up, I doubt anyone does. I probably do it every 2 thousand miles or so. Doesn't cost much & I think it will help.

mkv_martinez

Go Kart Champion
I've been known to run a bottle through the system here and there. I don't see any reason not to use them between every other oil change or so.

If I know I will be parking my car for a while, many of them have fuel stabilizers built in; so theres an additional reason to have one on hand right there.

Not going to feel any difference, but I've already had a clogged injector before back at 60k or so miles; so regular maintenence it is for me.