GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

intake valve cleaning and timing chain tensioner replacment

Lös Gehts

Ready to race!
Hey everyone, I think everybody whose up in the plus 100k mileage is interested in this I have 136,000km so I'll put out what it cost me and the results.
I had the service done last week at Independent Tuning, they had the car for 2 days to do everything, dropped the car off Sunday night put the key in the envelope and deposited in their mail slot, they needed the car to be cold to start working on the valve cleaning, they use the walnut shell blasting method and from the pictures they did a great job. first time ive had it done, picked up the car cpo with 51,000km 4 years ago.
I also talked to them about replacing the timing chain tensioner while the car was in, unfortunately the parts didn't come in until the next day and it was late the next day that it was finished, so I picked it up on Wed. after work.
It was mentioned to me that its probably an unnecessary service if I haven't experienced any problems, but I said with all the talk about failures in the first years models id feel better knowing its new and wont cost me $3000.00 to fix the head if it went on me.
So the results are:
The valve cleaning defineatly feel a difference, much smoother through the rev's especially in the low end, fuel mileage seems better in the first week.

Timing chain tensioner seems like theres less mechaniical noise now on idle, if that makes sense.
The cost of all this:
Intake valve cleaning 520.50+tax
Timing chain Tensioner 617.98+tax parts included with oil and filter change
total for both services with tax in $1286.48
which is less than dealer quoted me just for the timing chain tensioner replacment, Mark and Henry did a great job, Mark even coded my tail lights back to OEM for me.

Kato

Ready to race!
Did they replaced the timing chain as well? From what I read, most timing chain could stretched a little, and it was recommended to change the chain as well.

Additionally, which parts were replaced? I have the following items that was recommended to replace:

Tensioner 06K109467K
Crank pulley bolt
Timing cover + seals
Timing cover bolts (15)
Motor mount bolts (3)
Continental serp belt
Timing Chain?

mattdibart

Go Kart Champion
Did you do the valve cleaning as a maintenance item or were you experiencing any issues from the carbon build-up like cold start issues and misfiring?

Lös Gehts

Ready to race!
Did they replaced the timing chain as well? From what I read, most timing chain could stretched a little, and it was recommended to change the chain as well.

Additionally, which parts were replaced? I have the following items that was recommended to replace:

Tensioner 06K109467K
Crank pulley bolt
Timing cover + seals
Timing cover bolts (15)
Motor mount bolts (3)
Continental serp belt
Timing Chain?
The only real issue is the suspect tensioner all the other stuff is not the problem from what they told me

Lös Gehts

Ready to race!
Did you do the valve cleaning as a maintenance item or were you experiencing any issues from the carbon build-up like cold start issues and misfiring?
I did the vslve clening cause the car seemed really sluggish off a start, lime really difficult to take even a camary of the line, no issues with misfires on cold starts.

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
that's really great of you to post where/cost & pics. I want to get my tensioner done and dealer cost was causing me grief. glad to hear there's an alternative though the amount of time to get it done isn't too cool. Not sure I wanna give up my ride for a couple of days like that.. why would it take 2 days for the valve cleaning? Or was the culprit the late delivery of the parts for the tensioner?

In the first picture was it identified what that brown residue was? Is that rust?

FYI

http://www.independenttuning.ca/

Lös Gehts

Ready to race!
that's really great of you to post where/cost & pics. I want to get my tensioner done and dealer cost was causing me grief. glad to hear there's an alternative though the amount of time to get it done isn't too cool. Not sure I wanna give up my ride for a couple of days like that.. why would it take 2 days for the valve cleaning? Or was the culprit the late delivery of the parts for the tensioner?

In the first picture was it identified what that brown residue was? Is that rust?

FYI

http://www.independenttuning.ca/
There was a misunderstanding about getting the chain tensioner done at the same time thus parts weren't in house, but this is a good 5 hr job, and to do both jobs in one day is stretching it for a mechanic who is meticulous about his work, and really they were recomended from word of mouth by a long term client of Mark, I would trust these guys to do the job rather than cheap out on some other garage with no reputation for VW/ Audi and Porsche work. And like I said dealer quoted me $1000-1300 for just the tensioner replacement.

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
There was a misunderstanding about getting the chain tensioner done at the same time thus parts weren't in house, but this is a good 5 hr job, and to do both jobs in one day is stretching it for a mechanic who is meticulous about his work, and really they were recomended from word of mouth by a long term client of Mark, I would trust these guys to do the job rather than cheap out on some other garage with no reputation for VW/ Audi and Porsche work. And like I said dealer quoted me $1000-1300 for just the tensioner replacement.

thanks for clearing that up. Appreciated for sure. I'll be sure to check them out.

any detail per the rust coloured seepage in the 1st photo?

Lös Gehts

Ready to race!
thanks for clearing that up. Appreciated for sure. I'll be sure to check them out.

any detail per the rust coloured seepage in the 1st photo?
Yeah I don't know, I guess I could ask, I think it's probably carbon too, but really I'm just guessing, I don't have any experience with DI engines so couldn't say if its a lean condition on one intake runner.

fredf

Go Kart Champion
I've been to Independent Tuning. Good guys and quality work. But, in the past, I've found them to be at the same price level as the dealership.

forwardlean

Go Kart Champion
The cleaning looks nice. It's around $900 for just this at a dealer from my experience. Did they give you a break on it since you did the tensioner?

Is everyone replacing the timing chain tensioner out of fear? I feel like these things failing seems worse because of the internet and the reality is it's like %1 of cars that have this problem. Seems unnecessary to me, but perhaps in naive.

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
damn skippy out of fear! the thought of having to spend thousands and be without my car for a couple of days vs just spending hundreds does seem to justify the fear factor for me. Dunno about anyone else.

[droc]

Passed Driver's Ed
thanks for the cost breakdown and review -- I like threads like these since I've been looking to do my chain tensioner too (strictly based off of internet fears) time to give these guys a call.

Lös Gehts

Ready to race!
The cleaning looks nice. It's around $900 for just this at a dealer from my experience. Did they give you a break on it since you did the tensioner?

Is everyone replacing the timing chain tensioner out of fear? I feel like these things failing seems worse because of the internet and the reality is it's like %1 of cars that have this problem. Seems unnecessary to me, but perhaps in naive.
I hear you on the internet hype, I've not had a single problem with my car so far " knock on wood", and even they said it's probably not necessary to do the timing chain tensioner, but if this thing did decide to pack it in, I think I'd be pissed I didn't spend the money as maintenance. I look at it like they're lots of people who throw tons of parts on they're car as mods, that weren't really necessary for the car to get you from point A-B complain about how much it costs for an oil change, to me the cars plenty fast for the street and fun to drive, but I would rather maintain it and keep it reliable than mod the crap out of it and have lots of problems cuz I cheaped out on up keep, don't get me wrong I'm thinking of getting a tune now, but im glad I did the valve cleaning and chain tensioner first, I think the tune probably wouldn't have worked to its full potential on my dirty intake valves.

MK5CNY

Passed Driver's Ed
^^i can relate to this approach. I have an extended warranty. And so far my approach is to replace with an OEM+ approach when the opportunity comes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk