GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Is 2k under invoice realistic?

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
I believe VW’s holdback is 2%. If a GTI lists for $32,110 and real cost is $30,816, they can sell it for $30,200 just to move it off the lot and make no money. That would represent 5.9% under MSRP and obviously 2% under real invoice.

There is no way in hell, selling a car at 2k under MSRP is them "losing money", cmon man...

Yeah I wouldn't touch a 2012 at this point unless used. That's a double whammy with the mk7 model coming out and it already depreciating a year.

@GunKata the invoice prices there were from Edmunds.com and match what i have seen on yahoo and trucar. Seems something odd is going on there because lots of people are getting several thousand off invoice. Would be great to find a resource from VW sales on here who knows the REAL invoice pricing.

im really hesitant/critical of edmunds and truecar - esp the latter, as they appear to be dealer backed/supported. Your last sentence is right on though. there is a "real" invoice price and then what you are made to believe is the invoice price.

I paid invoice on my new golf so it's possible

who told you what the invoice was ? if its the dealer, you didn't pay their "actual" invoice price.

GTI7871

Banned
who told you what the invoice was ? if its the dealer, you didn't pay their "actual" invoice price.

Boom!

McQueen77

Banned
its not hard to get a rough estimate of dealer invoice online via edmunds TMV or whatever.. $2k below invoice just means your a greedy bastard who has no concept of business and that people need to make money. $500 below invoice is good. Invoice is also good.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
its not hard to get a rough estimate of dealer invoice online via edmunds TMV or whatever.. $2k below invoice just means your a greedy bastard who has no concept of business and that people need to make money. $500 below invoice is good. Invoice is also good.

right, but the crux of the discussion is - what truly IS the invoice? ;)

jni3

Ready to race!
Don't even pay invoice. Ask the dealer so see the actual price they paid. No way was I paying invoice or TMV and I got my golf for $48XX off msrp.

jeffc31337

Ready to race!
right, but the crux of the discussion is - what truly IS the invoice? ;)

This is it exactly. What is reported online doesn't seem to be accurate because In THIS case there are tons of people on this very forum saying they got several thousand dollars below MSRP which according to information online means they paid several thousand under invoice. I'm not going to pay invoice price if that's not really the going rate, that's bad business.

@McQueen I'm not greedy nor do I not understand business. In my past purchases I've been happy to offer 500-1k over invoice as that was the going rate I was seeing and was happy for everyone to make some money. I do strive to be an informed buyer however. Out of curiosity what was your negotiated price on the Tiguan you just got via your friend at VW? The online invoice is listed as $25,440 for a auto with sunroof.

sikhgti

Passed Driver's Ed
truecar

I have used truecar.com on all of my purchases
They give the invoice price. And also how much can you get the car for below invoice. 2000 grand below invoice sounds excessive.
I got offered to buy a 2013 mustang gt premium for 3000 below invoice, the msg here is that manufactures are making deals on models that are being repaced, i.e mk6 to mk7 gti, 2015 all new mustang. Plus truecar is free
Hope this helps

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Don't even pay invoice. Ask the dealer so see the actual price they paid. No way was I paying invoice or TMV and I got my golf for $48XX off msrp.

:clap:

I have used truecar.com on all of my purchases
They give the invoice price. And also how much can you get the car for below invoice. 2000 grand below invoice sounds excessive.
I got offered to buy a 2013 mustang gt premium for 3000 below invoice, the msg here is that manufactures are making deals on models that are being repaced, i.e mk6 to mk7 gti, 2015 all new mustang. Plus truecar is free
Hope this helps

how did the 2k relate to msrp tho? more and more, it seems like truecar is dealer back - that's why its free - and then I'd have to question the validity of its info.

CA_GTI

Notes about certain GTIs being scarce in SoCal are correct.
Just purchased '13 GTI w/Sunroof&Nav pckg in Deep Black Pearl Metallic (wanted specific color/feature combo) on 1/30. Went to 2 dealers, then my credit union's buying service, Asking for this setup or autobahn pkg. There were only 3 in 200+ mile radius. Best price was what I got - about $1500 below MSRP. and dealers were not interested in 'working price' on what I wanted, even thru buying service. SD market had none; all 3 were in OC or Riverside.

Last edited:

TheJacobs

Not unless you're 'in the business'.

jeffc31337

Ready to race!
Notes about certain GTIs being scarce in SoCal are correct.
Just purchased '13 GTI w/Sunroof&Nav pckg in Deep Black Pearl Metallic (wanted specific color/feature combo) on 1/30. Went to 2 dealers, then my credit union's buying service, Asking for this setup or autobahn pkg. There were only 3 in 200+ mile radius. Best price was what I got - about $1500 below MSRP. and dealers were not interested in 'working price' on what I wanted, even thru buying service. SD market had none; all 3 were in OC or Riverside.

Interesting, there are 8 cars around San Diego or south OC that match what i'm looking for but i'm just looking for options not for color.

As far as pricing goes the GTI for me is a value proposition. If I can get a great deal i'll move, if not ill wait for the MQB GTI or A3.

Hyun

Passed Driver's Ed
Got my '13 4Dr Autobahn for a little more than invoice OTD (below invoice before fees, taxes)

Baldeagle

Ready to race!
There is no way in hell, selling a car at 2k under MSRP is them "losing money", cmon man...

I agree – there is no question that selling a GTI for $2,000 under invoice would lose money. But that is not what I said. I said 2%. 2% is more like $540 (value of the holdback). Internet invoice minus holdback is the point at which the dealership makes absolutely no profit. It almost never happens, but they can do it if they desperately want to move metal over the curb.

jni3

Ready to race!
Maybe a little late....... But there's a guy named Chris at Langhorne VW in Philly that'll get you a hell of a deal and ship it to you for cheap. He's shipped cars all over the states. He was #1 Volume TDI sales rep in 2009 and can move cars off the lot.