GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Is an OE S3 intercooler sufficient?

the_horak

Ready to race!
Hey all! Looking at my intercooler options for future planning. The FMIC is nice because it seems easier to access the install location, but I've already got upgraded pipes to and from my stock IC and losing them is throwing away spent money. Plus it may be the more expensive option to start.

The S3 seems like a pretty standard swap, but it's more difficult to get to, so that's the route I'm looking at. If I get an OE spec S3 intercooler, that's the same as an OEM Audi one in terms of performance, right?

Let me know if I'm thinking about this right. Thanks!

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
S3 and Golf R of same vintage are the same, not sure about newer Audi S3 (2014+) and MK7.
MK6 Golf R has plastic side tanks, Audi S3 of that vintage would have aluminum side tanks.

On my MKV I did not find that the move to the S3 intercooler did much. I ended up going APR, very happy with that.

JOHNDERS2586

Ready to race!
I think I would ask myself, what my future plans truly are? Stage 2?Is it KO4? Bigger? From what I gather S3 intercooler is mild upgrade to stock, so if your just looking for a factory upgrade an not planning on bigger turbo then it might be worth it for a little added cushion.. But you already mentioned you don't want to waste money. So to me "buy once cry once" go for a bigger intercooler now, or pay for it again later when your S3 isn't doing enough.. Not to mention the B%tch of an install job, wouldn't want to do that over again either.. I went FMIC (Neuspeed) when I went KO4 mainly for easy install and esthetics an have been happy with it.. Just my 2 cents..

Last edited:

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
I guess it depends what you mean sufficient for? I mean you can run a K04 with the stock intercooler all day and have zero issues. You probably wont notice anything with an upgraded IC with normal driving and hooning around town, but you'll probably notice if you track the car.

the_horak

Ready to race!
I'm not upgrading the turbo, but I've got my JB4 on the way and I'm in the process of adding a downpipe. I guess I'm looking for some extra protection when summer comes back. If I notice a need for an upgrade I would like a plan.

I did see one or two FMIC that seem to work with the OEM Turbo Outlet and Throttle Body pipes. That should allow me to keep my upgraded piping...

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
I'm not upgrading the turbo, but I've got my JB4 on the way and I'm in the process of adding a downpipe. I guess I'm looking for some extra protection when summer comes back. If I notice a need for an upgrade I would like a plan.

I did see one or two FMIC that seem to work with the OEM Turbo Outlet and Throttle Body pipes. That should allow me to keep my upgraded piping...

In the heat of summer a larger quality intercooler will work better than stock but it will still be limited by the hot ambient air. An air to air intercooler can't cool down any lower than the air it uses to cool your charge air. Water Meth can cool down below ambient and is much more effective if you are comparing the mod of a larger intercooler to that of a properly dialed in w/m system for protection against summer power loss. The best solution is to have both.

the_horak

Ready to race!
An air to air intercooler can't cool down any lower than the air it uses to cool your charge air.
That's a good point. Thanks for that. Water Meth is not a route I'm gonna go, so I'll have to think about it. Thanks. It'll really come down to me checking my IAT as I get into summer and going from there.

I appreciate the intercooler input. It's good to know that I can go OE with the S3 or the R intercooler for mild improvement or resistance against power loss.