GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Is my GTI really a 2012 ?

silverstone007

Passed Driver's Ed
I noticed a build date 09/12 stamped on my 2012 GTI & the date of delivery to the dealer is 02/13 sold 09/13 .
I find this odd that it's a 2012 model , is this normal ? I tought when the car is built after the 6th month of the year it would be sold as the following year model ?

-SnowmanMafia-

Passed Driver's Ed
The 10th digit of my VIN is C=2012 , I find this odd that it was sold as a 2012 & not a 2013 since is was built 9/12 , is there other owners in the same situation as me ?

I mean, not to be rude, but, does it really matter?

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
The 10th digit of my VIN is C=2012 , I find this odd that it was sold as a 2012 & not a 2013 since is was built 9/12 , is there other owners in the same situation as me ?

I think September is the crossover month?, it's the build week that determines the designated year not the month, yours is probably early September hence 2012.
A while back when doing some retrofits I needed to know the build week, I did work it out at one point but can't remember how I did it!

+ 2010 carbon steel grey GTI manual +

Last edited:

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
I mean, not to be rude, but, does it really matter?
i second this. You bought it as a 2012.. it was built in 2012... why are you so set on it should be a 2013?

silverstone007

Passed Driver's Ed
i second this. You bought it as a 2012.. it was built in 2012... why are you so set on it should be a 2013?
from my experience cars built after the 7th month are sold as models of the following year , so I was suprised to learn that VW does not follow what others are doing to sell their cars ,this means my warranty is going to be in effect longer than I tought :)

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
from my experience cars built after the 7th month are sold as models of the following year , so I was suprised to learn that VW does not follow what others are doing to sell their cars ,this means my warranty is going to be in effect longer than I tought :)

I think its stupid car companies can sell model years 5 months before the year even starts. Thats just dumb but when people are like you and wait till the "7th month to get next years car" they will continue to roll them out earlier and earlier for no real reason. Warranty is from build date to if im not mistaken not what the sticker says.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
I think its stupid car companies can sell model years 5 months before the year even starts. Thats just dumb but when people are like you and wait till the "7th month to get next years car" they will continue to roll them out earlier and earlier for no real reason. Warranty is from build date to if im not mistaken not what the sticker says.

No! Warranty is affective from the day of delivery/handover to customer.

Uberryan

Banned
No! Warranty is affective from the day of delivery/handover to customer.

This.

Your warranty doesn't begin until you take possession of the car.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
This.

Your warranty doesn't begin until you take possession of the car.

Ahh well i dunno ive never bought new new. Just know how our warranty works for our items and its from the build date.

So if a 2013 sits on the lot until 2014 when a customer buys it does that 5 year 60k miles start in 2014 or does it start with the model year of the car when the dealer received it?

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Ahh well i dunno ive never bought new new. Just know how our warranty works for our items and its from the build date.

So if a 2013 sits on the lot until 2014 when a customer buys it does that 5 year 60k miles start in 2014 or does it start with the model year of the car when the dealer received it?

As I understand it If it's not registered already it will be from the day it's handed over and registered to the first owner, basically as soon as it has an owner/keeper the warranty begins, so if the dealership pre-registers the car (as many do) and it sits at the lot unsold the warranty is decreasing as the dealer has taken ownership!

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
As I understand it If it's not registered already it will be from the day it's handed over and registered to the first owner, basically as soon as it has an owner/keeper the warranty begins, so if the dealership pre-registers the car (as many do) and it sits at the lot unsold the warranty is decreasing as the dealer has taken ownership!

Okay thanks for the clarification i figured it would usually be once the dealer took possession.

silverstone007

Passed Driver's Ed
You are assuming I bought it new .... but I bought it used , even if could afford a new one I prefered saving $15k to put on mods & other things ...