GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Is there any OEM-looking options for a US owner with a mirrorlink incompatible phone for headunit upgrade/nav?

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
Very true, I personally like the option to not have to have my fucking phone connected to it at all times just for basic functionality. The RCD330+ has you plug that sucker into the front fascia like it's 2010 all over again. I like that the 330+ is OEM, but damn if that isn't a step back from the direction that should've gone. How's music sound compared to your old unit? I noticed a few reports of a hiss, and weak sound output but that was a bit ago. Did they rectify that?

AAwireless works pretty flawlessly with the 330plus. When I get in my car with my phone in my pocket and turn on the key the stereo turns on with spotify almost immediately. I've had it a couple weeks now and it's been pretty solid. I've had the 330plus for 4 years or so and have never had an issue. I am certainly no audiophile but I am running a 10" sub under the rear floor and the audio quality has been really good.

This is Ryans face

Not sure if...
AAwireless works pretty flawlessly with the 330plus. When I get in my car with my phone in my pocket and turn on the key the stereo turns on with spotify almost immediately. I've had it a couple weeks now and it's been pretty solid. I've had the 330plus for 4 years or so and have never had an issue. I am certainly no audiophile but I am running a 10" sub under the rear floor and the audio quality has been really good.
I guess I've never been a huge fan of the whole "need to connect the phone to use GPS" type unit. That's what's pulling me towards the joying is the unit's independence.

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
I guess I've never been a huge fan of the whole "need to connect the phone to use GPS" type unit. That's what's pulling me towards the joying is the unit's independence.
I totally agree. I have a friend who has a joying unit in his car and loves it. I only went the 330 route because at the time it was the only unit I knew was 100% plug n play and wasn't crazy expensive.

This is Ryans face

Not sure if...
I totally agree. I have a friend who has a joying unit in his car and loves it. I only went the 330 route because at the time it was the only unit I knew was 100% plug n play and wasn't crazy expensive.
True, apparently all the steering wheel buttons function with the Joying. I think the only real loss is no MFD nav arrow and I assume song info or details, but I set it to speed read out and forget it usually.

gijoewoz

Go Kart Champion
I am satisfied, overall. I think it's tough to beat for the price. There are still a couple of quirks that can be a little annoying at times, but overall it works very well. The quirks that bother me are related to Carplay/Siri. Sometime (oftentimes) Siri's "voice" becomes very low quality. I'll use Siri to send a text and she'll say "what would you like to say?" very clearly, then when reading back a text it will read back in very poor audio quality. Based on the fact that this doesn't happen every time, I suspect it's something that can be fixed with firmware. The other Carplay quirk is that when listening to the radio while connected to Carplay, you do not get any audio from Siri when trying to listen to a new message. Instead, you have to engage a different audio source first, then you can listen to the message. Basically, you cannot hear anything if trying to go straight from radio to Siri.

I don't know if any similar problems exist when using Android Auto, but overall the pros outweigh the cons. It looks at home in the dash, the screen looks very good, even in bright light, I like having physical buttons/knobs.

After recently using Sony, Kenwood, and Pioneer double dins, I can say that (so far) this is no worse and is easily in the same league, just with different quirks than the more common brands had. None of them were perfect either, which is why I've swapped so many time, so I think I'll stick with the Joying for a while, and hope some firmware upgrades make it even better in the future.

This is Ryans face

Not sure if...
I am satisfied, overall. I think it's tough to beat for the price. There are still a couple of quirks that can be a little annoying at times, but overall it works very well. The quirks that bother me are related to Carplay/Siri. Sometime (oftentimes) Siri's "voice" becomes very low quality. I'll use Siri to send a text and she'll say "what would you like to say?" very clearly, then when reading back a text it will read back in very poor audio quality. Based on the fact that this doesn't happen every time, I suspect it's something that can be fixed with firmware. The other Carplay quirk is that when listening to the radio while connected to Carplay, you do not get any audio from Siri when trying to listen to a new message. Instead, you have to engage a different audio source first, then you can listen to the message. Basically, you cannot hear anything if trying to go straight from radio to Siri.

I don't know if any similar problems exist when using Android Auto, but overall the pros outweigh the cons. It looks at home in the dash, the screen looks very good, even in bright light, I like having physical buttons/knobs.

After recently using Sony, Kenwood, and Pioneer double dins, I can say that (so far) this is no worse and is easily in the same league, just with different quirks than the more common brands had. None of them were perfect either, which is why I've swapped so many time, so I think I'll stick with the Joying for a while, and hope some firmware upgrades make it even better in the future.
Nice! Thanks for the input. I hope android auto plays a little bit nicer.

Quick question, did you end up mounting the Nav antenna? If so, where did you find a good spot to mount it?

gijoewoz

Go Kart Champion
Nice! Thanks for the input. I hope android auto plays a little bit nicer.

Quick question, did you end up mounting the Nav antenna? If so, where did you find a good spot to mount it?
I did mount the GPS antena, although I only use navigation through Carplay, so I've not actually used the antenna yet to confirm if it's working on. I mounted it where I have mounted GPS antennas in the past, above the plastic air vent that feeds the center vents. There is no metal above it, so it shouldn't be a problem that it's in the dash instead of on top of it. Again, I haven't used it though, but all other antennas worked fine there with previous head units.

This is Ryans face

Not sure if...
I did mount the GPS antena, although I only use navigation through Carplay, so I've not actually used the antenna yet to confirm if it's working on. I mounted it where I have mounted GPS antennas in the past, above the plastic air vent that feeds the center vents. There is no metal above it, so it shouldn't be a problem that it's in the dash instead of on top of it. Again, I haven't used it though, but all other antennas worked fine there with previous head units.
Finally pulled the trigger and got the 9" unit for myself. Was told by a Joying rep that you could grab an OEM backup latch camera and use this adapter to pair it to the Joying units. https://www.ebay.com/itm/304782027658

I might give it a shot, but I know we spoke about this before, in case you're interested in retrofitting.

Cal2000

Go Kart Champion
Finally pulled the trigger and got the 9" unit for myself. Was told by a Joying rep that you could grab an OEM backup latch camera and use this adapter to pair it to the Joying units. https://www.ebay.com/itm/304782027658

I might give it a shot, but I know we spoke about this before, in case you're interested in retrofitting.
I am very much interested. I have an OEM backup cam already installed on my car. I’m looking to replace RNS315 with something that works with Apple CP.