GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Issue getting out of reverse, shift fork issue?

twistid

Ready to race!
I've noticed an issue sometimes trying to get out of reverse a month or two after installing FX350. I will be backing out of a spot and when I depress clutch to put it into 1st it will not budge out of reverse. I usually have to turn the car off to get it out of reverse, but one time I lightly kept going in reverse for a split second and it seemed to clear up the issue and it came right out.

The last time it happend I really tried to pull it out and it came out but it didn't feel good while doing it, not that it caused damage but that something was holding it in place.

Is it possible my shift forks have been damaged? It's only when getting out of reverse and I haven't been able to narrow it down if it happens on incline, decline, or flat... It's only happend maybe 3 or 4 times.

I read that shims will help the issue but while searching on that topic someone said that it doesn't matter in O2Q transmissions because its self adjusting or something like that?

If anyone has any advice or suggestions I would greatly appreciate it.

Cryptic19111

Go Kart Champion
Do you push the clutch in, and hold, then take out of gear? or do you kinda stab the clutch in and pull it out of gear at the same time? Sometimes I wonder if the "slow" gear changing is why people occasionally have problems.. like the slave cyl pushes all the way out, and the pressure plate disengages, then slowly creeps back just a smidge so that it has some drag (maybe from tiny amount of air in the system, etc) and now it won't come out. My theory would be that a quick stab of the clutch and pulling out of gear would work since it doesn't have time to settle

Also would be interesting to find if this changes since you modded your bleeder block

twistid

Ready to race!
Yes, I clutch in and hold it while removing gear... I usually only stab the clutch when quick shifting... I suppose it is possible the slave cyl slowly leaks out but if that were the case wouldn't it get to the point where it would continue in reverse with clutch still depressed?

twistid

Ready to race!
Also it has happend both before and after I modded bleeder block. I don't think it has any effect on it.

Cryptic19111

Go Kart Champion
It may drag enough to cause issues getting out of gear, but not enough to move the car. Try doing the whole process a little quicker, and see what happens.

excelevant

Go Kart Champion
I have this problem every once in a while with FX400, I usually just release the clutch pedal just enough that the clutch won't start to bite, then press it back down and it comes right out of gear. I think it's the extra pump that does the trick. Happened before and after modified bleeder block as well. I think the OEM hydraulic system is not up to par with the aftermarket clutch, TOB shims might do the trick, but is an awful lot of work. I also noticed that if I pump the clutch a few times before firing up the car in the morning there is less of a shake upon start-up (which I first noticed when installing the torque arm insert, and got a little more noticeable with fx400)