GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

It's 100% confirmed...... VW GOLF R Coming to US!!

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
goorpy - its barely more efficient, as in 1-2mpg. As for driving, I want to be engaged. I have handsfree BT to talk with - I don't need my hand(s) to be doing anything else.

jerm

Ready to race!
Just saw the article on Worldcarfans, great news.........how many of you guys gonna be trading up?

I'm not going to, at least not this generation. We'll see about the MK7 :)

Plus, there are things that I like better about the GTI; such as the red accents, the Detroit wheels, and the "spread-apart" exhaust tips (I'm really NOT a fan of the close Mini Cooper-esque center exhaust layout)

And in my opinion, the "R" nameplates are overplayed: Honda/Acura Type R, Kia's new "Type R" platform, Nissan's Sentra SE-R (I know I'm missing more).

goorpy

Hey, the Audi TTS has the same set up and DSG!

I'd love to, but the $20k premium puts it far outside my budget. The $40k for the Golf R was going to be pushing it already. I guess I'll wait and see what the MkVII brings to the chilly Canadian shores. :/

I could get a used R32, but I'm not sure how I feel about picking up a car that was likely driven relatively hard, without any kind of warranty.

goorpy - its barely more efficient, as in 1-2mpg. As for driving, I want to be engaged. I have handsfree BT to talk with - I don't need my hand(s) to be doing anything else.
Yea that's really a bonus too. I'm just a fuel economy nerd -- have records of almost every tank of gas since I've owned my car. I love that the R delivers it's power using less fuel, long term, than my 120-something hp Jetta.

I use a BT headset, too -- Ontario recently passed a law banning handheld calls while driving. Fines start around $150 for first offense. I've always used the headset, though -- it's just safer that way.

You don't ever have a tea or coffee while driving, or need to scarf a meal on the go when time is tight?

Talguy

Go Kart Champion
haha AGREED :thumbsup: for the 10,000$ difference I think you can make the GTI perform the same way or better and it would still come out being cheaper

Yea but you won't get the AWD. Thats what this car is all about.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
I'd love to, but the $20k premium puts it far outside my budget. The $40k for the Golf R was going to be pushing it already. I guess I'll wait and see what the MkVII brings to the chilly Canadian shores. :/

I could get a used R32, but I'm not sure how I feel about picking up a car that was likely driven relatively hard, without any kind of warranty.

Yea that's really a bonus too. I'm just a fuel economy nerd -- have records of almost every tank of gas since I've owned my car. I love that the R delivers it's power using less fuel, long term, than my 120-something hp Jetta.

I use a BT headset, too -- Ontario recently passed a law banning handheld calls while driving. Fines start around $150 for first offense. I've always used the headset, though -- it's just safer that way.

You don't ever have a tea or coffee while driving, or need to scarf a meal on the go when time is tight?

I can take a sip of something when I'm cruising along or just "plan" my bites according, lol. Don't they have CPO'd R32's up in Canada?

Djunited1

Go Kart Champion
i agree. but if i was given a brand new gti with 10k$ in mods(performance and cosmetic), i'd take it over a brand new stock R anyday.

GDOGGTI

Go Kart Champion
We have no center channel under the car that is big enough - 10k wouldn't surprise me at all.

mmm screw it I'm gonna start searching.. I wanna know how much it is.

I think you can get AWD installed for less than 10,000. But Bender doesn't so I shall find out :23:

Q822

Ready to race!
I will take a Blue one, 4 doors ...The only concern is the Manual because we only have one car and my girlfriend doesn't really want to learn..but now she has too..
VW made the good choice...Someone who wants a manual Golf R will be harder to take in the DSG worl..But someone who wants a DSG R will be easier to take in the stick wolrd...(there are some exceptions I know...)

itzalexbish

Ready to race!
This sucks, i didn't wait for the R because i thought they would only come DSG!

denisGTI

Ready to race!
Sorry guys, but I don't understand why someone would like to switch from GTI MKVI to "R" unless he/she only wants to brag about driving the "R" model. :iono:

GTI popularity came from its excellent value comparing to other models in its class (WRX, Mazda Speed3 ...).
Jacking up the price for 10 grand puts Golf "R" in different price range where there some serious competitors like bmw 335i and Audi S4, which are much better cars in my opinion (I owned 335i before going for GTI). The only reason I decided to scale down to GTI is that I was able to get close to 335i performance and save 15 grands. If GTI was only 5 grand cheaper, I would keep my 335i for sure as it's in a higher class, performance and brand wise.

Another thing, the AWD will give you better grip, but do you really need that in regular, city driving, for which GTI was designed for? GTI is not designed for a drag racing no matter how much you tune it. For the amount of money you spend to bring your GTI to APR Stage 3, you could have bought a 335i who will have same performances, if not better as stock. So if you need AWD to have better launch on a track, you are wasting your money.

On the other hand, after driving FWD Passat for 10 year in Canadian winters with tons of snow and ice, I can tell you that you don't need anything more the FWD and a good set of tires if you are worried about safety. I think that AWD is an overkill even for Canadian winters. It's more about perception then anything. And if you are really really considered about your safety, you can get the new BMW X3 with 300hp and 300Tq that will be in same price range as Golf "R" and still very fun to drive. Nothing beats bmw handling :)

Anyway ...

Here is a detailed comparison between GTI and R by a gentleman from Australia who seems to know what he is talking about. Note that he was driving a stock GTI. I am sure he would be even less impressed with "R" if he compared it with GTI APR ST1, which you can get for less then a grand installed these days.

http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/f112/golf-r-v-golf-gti-45833.html

Cheers,
denisGTI

blueshirts0819

Ready to race!
I still can't believe DSG won't even be an option.

They've crushed my dreams of buying this vehicle. I could learn to drive manual better, but it's not what I wanted. I could settle for a GTI, but it doesn't have AWD. It's just... less than I wanted.

I'm not angry, because I understand VW had to make some concessions to be able to bring it here at all. But it's such a major component to restrict, and a personal choice. I am sad. They've essentially decided not to sell to anyone who isn't a stick driver.

I'm just disappointed that I can't even fantasize about buying one anymore. I had more to look forward to yesterday when the car was unannounced. I'm going to be stuck in my weak ass Jetta forever.

:(

Haha...that's one thing I didn't want to admit to my car salesman yesterday when he told me the news about the Golf R early in the monring before vw announced it to the public about the R only with the manual tranny. I travel to nyc with my GTI alot and get stuck in traffic constantly. I don't want to keep stepping onto the third pedal. Ahh...maybe 2013 with have DSG...I can always dream.