GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

J.D Power 2010 Initial Quality Survey Results (not pretty)

pvivino

Ready to race!
I suppose they call it "initial quality" instead of "long-term reliability" for a reason. :)

At the very least, the J.D. Power results are based on numerous data points, not just one. ;)

Garbage in, Garbage out.

Think about what your average person that is not in to cars would put in a survey. Your mother/cousin/neighbor/co-worker might report that the GTI has a suspension problem because it is harsh over a speed bump. They might put an electrical problem because the TPMS light goes on when they get a nail in their tire. Most people are not that sophisticated about cars.

Both JD Powers and Consumers are really just customer satisfaction surveys. They are completely useless to me.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
****ATTENTION FORUM MEMBERS****

This is a Volkswagen GTI forum. If you've come here to talk about your other car (which might be a BMW, TSX, Corvette, etc.) you've come to the wrong place. Its great to have general comparisons of the GTI versus other cars, but smashing the GTI in its own realm should/will not be tolerated.

The general idea is that you pay $25K-$27K for German Quality that CLOSELY matches other German brands (theres a reason i highlighted this, because it is NOT exactly the same, stop exploiting). No this car is not a 328i nor is a Mercedes E-Class. But to any commoner it is a damn good car. Anyone who steps in this car with an Autobahn package (or hell, even the cloth interlagos) will say it is a BEAUTIFUL car and still be surprised at how much you paid for it.

Any FANNYS that keep comparing apples to oranges will be be condemned by the ATI crew and other forum members that enjoy their car and are a general enthusiasts. Lets talk about something like history (MK1 and so on) or good stuff about our cars.

There is a 800hp FWD GTI that broke 208 MPH.....and all you can do is argue that the G37 is God compared to the GTI. (Check the off topic forums or autoblog.com)

If you hate your GTI and want/have a BMW,Merc-Benz, G37/G35, etc:

These threads that turn into debates about the dumbest nitpicking deals are detracting from the idea and history behind the GTI. You all should know better, thats why you bought the car.

I welcome any comments, but will not entertain your shenanigans
:thumbsup:

EDIT: Had to put some things and change some stuff around because people are taking my post wrong......who would've knew

Last edited:

fredf

Go Kart Champion
Grambles423: I'm not sure I agree with you at all. While my 2011 GTI has not arrived yet, I still enjoy reading these forums to better understand what to expect and how to operate my impending new car.

But I really don't find it useful at all to just hear from those whose only comments are that this is a wonderful car and nothing else compares. You can just stand in front of a mirror and admire yourself if that's all your looking for.

And while I obviously decided to by a VW, it was not without concern for the service and reliability issues. I love the references to 'German quality' on a car that is one of the most unreliable (at least until the past 2 years) on the market.

In particular, I find it odd to speak of German quality when they can't even consistently screw the door mount in right or get the rear washer to stop leaking. German engineering...maybe. But German quality--not sure what quality we are referring to.

And, while I'm on it, I really find the racist comments about 'rice burners' that one comes across on some forums really offensive.

Now, having said all that, I read these forums several times daily and really enjoy them. Some people here make intelligent observations and comments.
Others are just looking to kill time when they should be working.

My rant is over ....

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
if you dont have the car then how can you compare?

I understand you're trying to figure out what to expect but didnt you test drive the car?

Also, i blatantly put in a lot of technicalities and tried to highlight them, but I guess people are still going to try and exploit them.

You bought a Volkswagen, not a BMW or a Merc. German engineering only goes so far when you're trying to make an affordable car. Deal with it, or get a different car.

I love my car to death. I know its not perfect. I know that every time I hear a small rattle. Everyone else freaks out because they pay 25K for a car and think oh, this should be perfect. Then start comparing to BMW's. If the GTI was 40K-50K yeah you'd expect it to be ALMOST perfect. but its not.

You want a comparison? Try my Old 06 Honda Civic or my Fiance's 04 Camry. MURDEROUS! And to know I paid just a little north of 25K for my car for 10X the quality of that tin can and crap box.

Last edited:

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Hey man, I'm all for it. People just take things so sensitive around here. Its the internet. I could care less what people think of me.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Hahah i love it

fredf

Go Kart Champion
Just for the record: I'm not taking any of this personally or too seriously. I just felt compelled to make a comment.

I'm happy for a group hug (as long as it's only digitally--perhaps I should re-phrase that) but I don't need one.

As said, I voted with my feet and bought a VW. But as to 'German quality'? All the rattles and loose fittings on these cars doesn't attest well to the German worker at all. The engineers may know what they're doing, but the average guy on the assembly line must be stoned to let some of the stuff through that they do.

I'd rather have a car assembled in Canada than Germany, for what it's worth.

However, I bought the GTI for the fun factor. So I'll just have to suck up the quality issues and get on with it.

Consider yourselves hugged!

Diego Armando

Go Kart Champion
So...

You guys are going to touch tips?

NO HOMO!!!!!!!!

msm00b

Ready to race!
Starting price on a 328i: 34-36k
Sarting price on a GTI: 10k less.

How much more should you get for 10,000 dollars? Certainly more than the 328i delivers over GTI. I dumped 700 bucks into my GTI bringing the negotiated total price of the vehicle after mods to 26.5k ... and I guarantee I'll beat a stock 230hp 328i. If you're rolling in money, the beemer is a nice piece of machinery to compliment your nice house, nice job, and nice life. If you're not rolling in money, you're an idiot for wasting it on an overpriced car.

The end.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Starting price on a 328i: 34-36k
Sarting price on a GTI: 10k less.

How much more should you get for 10,000 dollars? Certainly more than the 328i delivers over GTI. I dumped 700 bucks into my GTI bringing the negotiated total price of the vehicle after mods to 26.5k ... and I guarantee I'll beat a stock 230hp 328i. If you're rolling in money, the beemer is a nice piece of machinery to compliment your nice house, nice job, and nice life. If you're not rolling in money, you're an idiot for wasting it on an overpriced car.

The end.

QUOTED THE FUCKING TRUTH!

You sir...must be apart of ATI