GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Just bought a 2013 GTI 2 door base. Moving from a X5 4.8i

idriveastick

Ready to race!
Hey all. Figured I'd drop by and introduce myself. You'll see me around the forum asking newbie questions for a while (if I can't find the answer via search, that is).

Anyway, I'm a long-time BMW'er and I decided to go more inexpensive while maintaining the fun-factor. I bought a 2013 2 door base GTI. 6-speed manual, no packages or options. Color is gray. Not sure which, since their are two.

My background is basically BMW. I've owned two E36 M3s, an E36 318i, a 2005 X5 3.0i, and just traded in my 2007 X5 4.8i. The X5 4.8i is/was loaded, had the sport package, etc etc. I love(d) it, but I wanted something better on gas, cheaper overall, and with a warranty. My extended warranty is running out on the X5 in August of this year, so I figured I'd get out of it while I could. I've had one front wheel drive car, which was a Cavalier back in the day, as my first car. Since then, I've either had RWD or SUVs (RWD/4WD) and am not quite used to the FWD anymore. However, during the test drive, I really didn't mind it. I test drove both the dual clutch and the manual. I really like the manual gearbox, so I went with that.

Edit to add: I plan on doing the Stage 1 tune to get a little more umph out of 'er. Not sure when; probably after a year or so (depending on if I get bored). Also plan on putting some tint on all the way around, as I really love the look of these with dark windows. I probably won't do much other than that. I definitely plan on buying another set of wheels with some snow tires (I live in southern NYS, and we get the occasional big snow storm).

Picking up my GTI Monday afternoon, saying goodbye to the X5 then as well. Here's a photo:

Thanks,
idriveastick

NoSpark

Go Kart Champion
Welcome to the forum! The GTI is a fun car to drive. I would definitely recommend going stage 1, but you may want to get a feel for it stock first. Others may disagree with my suggestion though.

Also, you have the carbon steel grey (CSG) paint.

sent from mobile

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
welcome and congrats.

I've had a bimmer before as well, and nothing like the GTI under $30K will get you a similar interior than what you're used to. Sounds like you definitely went very base, if not too late, try to get a model with the bi-xenon headlights.. they are incredible and on par with BMW's.

DaveSTR

Go Kart Champion
Nice choice. I have a 12 base/6sp manual as well. Great choice. This is fun do it all sporting machine. Ive had all kinds of machines and the GTI has not disappointed. Enjoy and welcome. This is a great forum!

Attachments

• springdetail 2.jpg
    springdetail 2.jpg
    253.2 KB · Views: 205

idriveastick

Ready to race!
Thanks for the warm welcome, all. Thanks for the clarification on the color, NoSpark.

Sounds like you definitely went very base,
Yeah, that was the goal. No reason, really. I'm just ready to be done with all of the gizmos and do-dads that were in my X5. Not saying I am shunning them or won't ever have another X5 again. Just ready for a change right now.

if not too late, try to get a model with the bi-xenon headlights.. they are incredible and on par with BMW's.

I really wanted the Xenons. I'm so used to them in my X5. Do the VW ones also turn horizontally when you turn the wheel? And auto-adjust vertically depending on vehicle pitch?

I saw a few people selling OE headlights for about $1000 or so. I wonder if going that route is a better option? After all, it's starting to become summer time and daylight is much longer these days. Perhaps waiting until end of summer for something like that is the way to go? Maybe my logic is flawed.

It kind of is a bit too late, as the deal has been signed off on, just waiting to pick it up Monday (they didn't have a mechanic on site Saturday to inspect it).

Thanks again all. :thumbsup:

The Waxer

Go Kart Champion
Welcome.

Once you shake down the car and are confident it is mechanically sound (all cars can have issues) I think stage 1 is a great option. The car really should come that way, in my opinion. However, keep in mind that VWOA is now tracking cars with tunes, so you could have a claim denied if you are tuned. That's why I suggest not running right out on the first day and getting the tune.

I put 20k miles on my 2011 GTI after going APR stage 2 at 9k miles and never had an issue with the tune, but that is not a lot of miles in the grand scheme for some people. At 30k miles it was still great and when I went to stage 1 before selling it I was still happy. Running in stock mode really makes you appreciate the tune. :)

The Waxer

Go Kart Champion
welcome and congrats.

I've had a bimmer before as well, and nothing like the GTI under $30K will get you a similar interior than what you're used to. Sounds like you definitely went very base, if not too late, try to get a model with the bi-xenon headlights.. they are incredible and on par with BMW's.

+1

I really wanted the Xenons. I'm so used to them in my X5. Do the VW ones also turn horizontally when you turn the wheel? And auto-adjust vertically depending on vehicle pitch?

Yes, they do.

idriveastick

Ready to race!
Welcome.

Once you shake down the car and are confident it is mechanically sound (all cars can have issues) I think stage 1 is a great option. The car really should come that way, in my opinion. However, keep in mind that VWOA is now tracking cars with tunes, so you could have a claim denied if you are tuned. That's why I suggest not running right out on the first day and getting the tune.

I put 20k miles on my 2011 GTI after going APR stage 2 at 9k miles and never had an issue with the tune, but that is not a lot of miles in the grand scheme for some people. At 30k miles it was still great and when I went to stage 1 before selling it I was still happy. Running in stock mode really makes you appreciate the tune. :)
Well it's weird. The salesman (of course he just wants $) mentioned that the dealership does chipping all the time. Due to that comment, and my research over the last 24 hours, it seems that APR tunes are sanctioned by VW and thus don't violate any warranty terms?

I've also noticed a big "dealer has to prove the tune busted something" mentality around all of the GTI/VW forums so far. This is the exact opposite of the BMW world. Interesting, none the less.

Now, to go with APR is the other question. I've heard it's great and makes a big difference, but also heard that other tunes are more aggressive and less expensive. I'll have to research that a bit more. That was kind of part of the reason I mentioned a year time frame up top. I want to appreciate the car for what it is and how it was designed first. Then once I get bored and need more, I have the option to upgrade. I would hate to "get used" to the vehicle at Stage 1 from the get-go. Doesn't leave a lot to look forward to (from a work to value ratio; just swipe the credit card vs actual bolt ons, etc).

Now, don't let my last comment make it seem as though I don't want to do work. I do. I've owned three E36s, after all. One of which was a race M3. I love working on my vehicles. I suppose I just want to appreciate it for what it is off the showroom floor. Who knows, maybe I'll change my mind.

;)

ETA: Thanks for the insight on the Xenons. I'll be looking around for some replacements and DIYs.

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
Yeah, that was the goal. No reason, really. I'm just ready to be done with all of the gizmos and do-dads that were in my X5. Not saying I am shunning them or won't ever have another X5 again. Just ready for a change right now.

Still the top of line which is autobahn what i have, its still much more simpler to use than my moms f10 535i way less complicated to just to go on radio etc etc, one thing its the keyless entry. But then you saved a boatload of money for something just as fun, im a bmw fan myself but i personally like older ones like the e30 e36 e34 m's and the e39. Enjoy your new toy! :thumbsup:

The Waxer

Go Kart Champion
Well it's weird. The salesman (of course he just wants $) mentioned that the dealership does chipping all the time. Due to that comment, and my research over the last 24 hours, it seems that APR tunes are sanctioned by VW and thus don't violate any warranty terms?

Now, to go with APR is the other question. I've heard it's great and makes a big difference, but also heard that other tunes are more aggressive and less expensive. I'll have to research that a bit more. That was kind of part of the reason I mentioned a year time frame up top. I want to appreciate the car for what it is and how it was designed first. Then once I get bored and need more, I have the option to upgrade. I would hate to "get used" to the vehicle at Stage 1 from the get-go. Doesn't leave a lot to look forward to (from a work to value ratio; just swipe the credit card vs actual bolt ons, etc).

Now, don't let my last comment make it seem as though I don't want to do work. I do. I've owned three E36s, after all. One of which was a race M3. I love working on my vehicles. I suppose I just want to appreciate it for what it is off the showroom floor. Who knows, maybe I'll change my mind.

;)

ETA: Thanks for the insight on the Xenons. I'll be looking around for some replacements and DIYs.

As for the tuning, yeah, there were dealers here selling new cars and financing in the APR upgrades, claiming VW was fine with it and they would cover it. Then, things changed rather quickly one day.

VW has since started flagging ECMs that are tuned in their database when the cars come in for service. Now, everyone has opinions on this and searching will let you read them all. I don't want to start another thread of speculation and FUD.

Also, on the Xenons... I don't believe there are any replacement/aftermarket options with AFS (adaptive) motion. I may be wrong now though, but when I looked in 2011 there was nothing so I bought a car with Sunroof/Nav and HIDs.

idriveastick

Ready to race!
Still the top of line which is autobahn what i have, its still much more simpler to use than my moms f10 535i way less complicated to just to go on radio etc etc, one thing its the keyless entry. But then you saved a boatload of money for something just as fun, im a bmw fan myself but i personally like older ones like the e30 e36 e34 m's and the e39. Enjoy your new toy! :thumbsup:

That's the other thing I need to get used to. I had Comfort Access on my X5. That's basically the whole, "leave the key in your pocket to unlock/lock and start the engine," concept. While certainly a luxury, it will just be a matter of time before my brain remembers that I can't just walk up to the GTI and unlock the door by touching the door handle.

I'll actually have to hit a button and then put the key in and THEN turn it! Oh man. This is going to be tough. :thumbup:

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
KESSY with the autobahn package gives you comfort access style, pretty much.

If your dealer is an APR dealer then I'd definitely work with them and just confirm, "warranty applies, as long as what is broken is not caused by the tune/mods", then you're good to go. Every area and dealer can be different.

idriveastick

Ready to race!
KESSY with the autobahn package gives you comfort access style, pretty much.

If your dealer is an APR dealer then I'd definitely work with them and just confirm, "warranty applies, as long as what is broken is not caused by the tune/mods", then you're good to go. Every area and dealer can be different.

Yeah, I read about the keyless thing. Doesn't interest me, anymore. Not knocking it, as I understand the luxury of having it. But as I said before, back-to-basics.

bmw2vw

Ready to race!
I have owned several bmws' myself (E36 M3, E36 328i, E30 325i, and an E28 533i). And I have owned my 12 GTi base for over a year now, and absolutely love it. I have put almost 17000 miles on it, and with Stage 1 it is an absolute joy to drive. And best part is I average 29 mpg while doing it.

Enjoy your stay, and let the mods begin.