GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

LEDs and VAGCOM

zorq

Ready to race!
Hi I keep seeing people on the forums (both here and vwvortex) mentioning that after you VAG your car to make the Golf R LED tails work, all other LEDs (city light and side markers) that normally throw bulb out code will no longer throw bulb out code after the VAG. Is that true? The reason I ask is because I just installed the Golf R LEDs and have VAGd my car so they work without bulb out code, but if I attempt to replace my side markers with LEDs, they'll still throw bulb out. Anyone could chime in on this? Thanks in advance!

GDOGGTI

Go Kart Champion
Hi I keep seeing people on the forums (both here and vwvortex) mentioning that after you VAG your car to make the Golf R LED tails work, all other LEDs (city light and side markers) that normally throw bulb out code will no longer throw bulb out code after the VAG. Is that true? The reason I ask is because I just installed the Golf R LEDs and have VAGd my car so they work without bulb out code, but if I attempt to replace my side markers with LEDs, they'll still throw bulb out. Anyone could chime in on this? Thanks in advance!

VAG will delete the Bulb out code, but if the bulb is not fixed and the error is still there it will keep throwing the code. when you vag the car for the LED tails you are configuring those only, not the whole car. To my understanding what you can do is disable the sensors so it wont read whats happening, but VAG wont bypass an error for ever. Im no expert thou.

Question. why do you want to put LEDs on your side markers??

zee

Go Kart Champion
There are several codings for the LED taillights. Some codes enable the use of LED bulbs in the parking light, city light and license plate locations.

GDOGGTI

Go Kart Champion
There are several codings for the LED taillights. Some codes enable the use of LED bulbs in the parking light, city light and license plate locations.

Do you have any more info on this? I keep buying LED bulbs for my license plate and keep getting codes. If there is a way to VAG the car in order to run them without codes that would be awsome

zee

Go Kart Champion
Do you have any more info on this? I keep buying LED bulbs for my license plate and keep getting codes. If there is a way to VAG the car in order to run them without codes that would be awsome

You must have the LED taillights before you attempt the coding change or your factory taillights will them throw bulb-out codes. There isn't a "one code for all vehicles" as it depends on software version, halogen or xenon, with or without rear fogs. USA cars have a TSB for updated software but Canadian early build cars do not.

On Xenon with rear fog:
Byte 18 coded to "04". All lights functional, bumper marker and city lights are at low brightness. (no error with LED city light and bumper lights)

On halogen without rear fog:
Byte 18 coded to "21". All lights functional, bumper marker are at low brightness and city lights are at high brightness

I think Xenon without rear fog is coded to '20' but I am not sure. You'll have to read through all 400 posts in the thread below to find out what worked and did not.
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4898893-LED-tail-Install-with-or-without-Rear-Fog.

GDOGGTI

Go Kart Champion
You must have the LED taillights before you attempt the coding change or your factory taillights will them throw bulb-out codes. There isn't a "one code for all vehicles" as it depends on software version, halogen or xenon, with or without rear fogs. USA cars have a TSB for updated software but Canadian early build cars do not.

On Xenon with rear fog:
Byte 18 coded to "04". All lights functional, bumper marker and city lights are at low brightness. (no error with LED city light and bumper lights)

On halogen without rear fog:
Byte 18 coded to "21". All lights functional, bumper marker are at low brightness and city lights are at high brightness

I think Xenon without rear fog is coded to '20' but I am not sure. You'll have to read through all 400 posts in the thread below to find out what worked and did not.
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4898893-LED-tail-Install-with-or-without-Rear-Fog.

That is for the LED tails however right? I was asking about the License Plate Bulbs :confused: Or is it not possible to permanently get rid of the code through VAG?

xGaspy

Go Kart Champion
That is for the LED tails however right? I was asking about the License Plate Bulbs :confused: Or is it not possible to permanently get rid of the code through VAG?

have you tired the psyspeed racing dash LED plate bulbs? i think i linked you in another thread, they're guaranteed not to throw a code or you get your money back! i'm waiting for mine to get here and i can report further about 'em, but that guarantee is tight!

GDOGGTI

Go Kart Champion
have you tired the psyspeed racing dash LED plate bulbs? i think i linked you in another thread, they're guaranteed not to throw a code or you get your money back! i'm waiting for mine to get here and i can report further about 'em, but that guarantee is tight!

yea im just waiting to see what you say about them hahah Ive tried so many that its just annoying that it wont work

xGaspy

Go Kart Champion
yea im just waiting to see what you say about them hahah Ive tried so many that its just annoying that it wont work

i'll let you know asap. :thumbup:

xGaspy

Go Kart Champion
Lol cool deal. I just tried putting my LED city lights in the license plate spot and I still get a damn code -_-

i just tried to go outside...oh wait no i didn't because it's F^%CKIN SNOWING. :mad0259:

zee

Go Kart Champion

When you change to OEM LED taillights and use the right coding, then you can also change the license plate bulbs to cheapo leds without throwing codes.

GDOGGTI

Go Kart Champion
When you change to OEM LED taillights and use the right coding, then you can also change the license plate bulbs to cheapo leds without throwing codes.

Oh thats perfect then :D Ill have a look into this. Thanks bubuski