GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Left Rear Brake Light

Coogie

Ready to race!
The left rear brake light, the one that is on the quarter-panel, not lift gate, is out. Both bulbs when out at the same time but appear in perfect shape. I do not believe the bulbs are burnt out. This is a 2012 GTI.

If a fuse was out, would both sides of the car be out? Any ideas what could be wrong?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438527056.707419.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438527116.488080.jpg

Sent from my iPhone

cbenjes

Go Kart Newbie
Actually, there is only 1 lamp per side when it comes to brake lights. From the outside, it looks like 2 because there is a mirror on the floor of the brake light housing.

Go get two 921 lamps at a local auto parts store, peel back the carpet on each side, disconnect the electrical connector, unscrew the tail light holder and remove the tail light. The lamps are under a plastic cover held in by 6 clips. 10 minute job....

Do both at the same time. If one lamp is burned out, then the other is ready to go, too.

Test the brake light before you re-assemble. You may have to flip the lamp around if it doesn't light up the first time.

If this doesn't work, now you have to check for voltage with a voltmeter. No voltage, check the fuses....

GTI Geo

Passed Driver's Ed
Every time I get a message on the display, I feel like Dave in 2001: A Space Odyssey. "HAL: I've just picked up a fault in the AE35 unit. It's going to go 100% failure in 72 hours." Any way, I have replaced the one bulb in the right brake light assembly twice now. As a point of reference, my 2011 GTI has about 45k miles on it.

turr520

So what happened? Did replacing bulbs work? Did you have a blown fuse?

BKK Jack

My left brake light went out the other day, curiously enough, I plugged in a new one and tested it. It worked. Then I reassembled and it didn't. Went through the exact same exercise again and it worked fine.

By the way, I'm very happy the display told me to check the left rear brake light, otherwise I might have been looking for front or side brake lights. ;)

reedsposer22

Ready to race!
The left rear brake light, the one that is on the quarter-panel, not lift gate, is out. Both bulbs when out at the same time but appear in perfect shape. I do not believe the bulbs are burnt out. This is a 2012 GTI.

If a fuse was out, would both sides of the car be out? Any ideas what could be wrong?

View attachment 49894

View attachment 49895

Sent from my iPhone

Funny, I always though there are two bulbs as well. Very tricky!