Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Platinum VW

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Sunrise VW

Votes: 1 7.7%

• Total voters

Frosty631

Ready to race!
So I am looking to get some info from everyone on what dealership on long island they feel has the everything package. Reason im looking to gather some info like this is not only for you guys to find out great info on the dealerships but im in the works of something and looking for a vw dealership that has it all.

The basic things I would like to know about your experience or even just knowledge of the dealership is:

How Knowledgeable the staff is- you would be surprised I have blown one of the sales guys mind when i told him that i was able to use my key fob for putting the windows up and down by simply turning it on through vcds. Made me rethink even servicing my car there until i found out there is a vw enthusiast who works in the service dpt who i request.

How Friendly and welcoming the dealership is- basically want to know how you felt just walking in and if they accommodated you. I know there are places out there who don't take everyone serious especially the younger crowd like myself because they feel like we are gonna waste there time and cant afford the car and stuff like that. Some just are miserable and dont want to be bothered.

Service Department- Everyone knows how this goes its one thing for an avg joe to bring in their vw and service it but most people on here really care about their car and who is working on it and if they actually know how to service the car. I have a friend who works at a dealership not vw and I wont say where but i would not trust him working on my car lol even if it was a car from that manufacturer.

Are they Enthusiasts or at least interested to learn or as now a days people say are they #boutthatlife- plain and simple are they about that vw/euro life or any type of car but past the basic knowledge of cars. Also are half the people working there driving Honda and Chevy or what. I'm gonna use Linden VW in jersey or Lash in White plains as an example, they are #boutthatlife and if you know of linden or lash vw you know what I'm referring to by asking this question

Mod Friendly- yes most are becoming more friendly to mods and stuff like that but I'm looking for the one who doesnt say well your water pump went sorry we dont warranty that because you have aftermarket headlights. You have to pay to play and I understand that but to void a warranty because something that has zero effect on what needs to be fixed I dont understand. Besides that are they mod friendly just to the parts on your car as well because some dealerships wont even touch your car if it has an aftermarket exhaust or something.

I think this is covering the things I'm looking to find out. I really hope to have honest answers and opinions and not have fake reviews from someone who works there just to make the dealership look good if you work there be honest if your sales floor is friendly and your service dept sucks say it, honesty goes a long way. Also I am not looking to turn this into a competition on whose dealership is better and people start going back and forth. This is basically for research purposes for future and present owners/buyers and something that I am working on that I will hopefully find the right dealer for and make something awesome for everyone out here on Long Island.

Below this is the main sections that I was looking to have answered if you want to copy and paste this into your response and just fill in the parts. :thumbsup: Hope to get a bunch of reviews and stuff and maybe even we can stickie this.

Dealership Name & Location:

How Knowledgeable the staff is-

How Friendly and welcoming the dealership is-

Service Department-

Are they Enthusiasts or at least interested to learn or as now a days people say are they #boutthatlife-

Mod Friendly-

Anything else you might want to add-

Frosty631

Ready to race!
Ok so ill kick this bad boy off with my experience.

Dealership Name & Location: Smithtown VW

How Knowledgeable the staff is- The GM at Smithtown VW seemed very knowledgeable as I would hope from a GM. He is the one who put together my sale/deal and who I mainly worked with as far as negotiating picking my car and things like that. After everything was all good to go he gave me to a sales guy who pretty much just submitted the info and stuff like that and received the comission for the sale (although it wasnt much due to the price i got the car for ;)) The guy was very nice but I did not feel he knew a thing about vw at least to the degree I was hoping my point is If i go to NASA to visit I expect them to know more about rocket ships then myself. What really made me a bit weary of the knowledge was when I went back in about 2 weeks later I had done some vagcom tweaks and put yellow fog overlays on my car. When I got there the sales guy who sealed the deal greeted me asked me how the car is and goes wow that looks good with yellow fogs are they aftermarket. I said yes and then he asked if i had anything else done and I told him about a few of the vagcom tweaks and his mind was blown could not believe half of them and asked the secretary at the front desk if she has every heard of it being able to do that and she was like no thats cool i wish i had it. Needless to say it made me a wee bit worried as to the knowledge of the staff

How Friendly and welcoming the dealership is- The dealership overall was very welcoming and friendly and not once was I treated like I could not afford the car (I'm 21) I have been to the dealership probably 6 to 8 times counting when i was doing the paperwork and stuff like that and those 6 to 8 times over the course of almost 4 months and they know me on a first name basis and greet me every time i walk in and eager to find out how the car is and whats going on now.

Service Department- Ive delt with the Service Department 3 times so far. Once for the 30 day check up, Second time was a week after i got my car I noticed scratches on my passenger window from what looked like someone using a dirty rag to wipe them down, and the third time was to replace a bubble I had in my tire from the crappy winter. When I went in with the window scratches issue they looked at the window confirmed yea it looks like something from wiping down since they were in a circular motion and considering the car was only a week old. The GM who helped me from the start saw my waiting in the showroom while i was waiting for them to pull up the part number and all that stuff, he came over and asked me whats up hows the car why im there and I told him and he said go back there tell them I approved the replacement no questions asked or money. I was beyond happy so they changed the window at zero charge to me (the car was also delivered from another dealership so im not blaming them for the cause of the scratches idk how it happened). When I went in not to long ago for the new tire I spoke with the same service dept guy who is very nice and the other 3 in the service dept seem very cool as well. Anyways usual convo with him hows the car how do you like it and so on. What made my day that trip to the dealership was when he goes to me (leaning kind of in towards me) "off the books did you chip it yet".. I lol literally and said no not yet and he goes oh ok a lot of people do and boy are those cars rockets when then do.

Are they Enthusiasts or at least interested to learn or as now a days people say are they #boutthatlife- After that conversation with the service dept guy about if i had chipped it yet or not he continued to tell me how there is a mechanic in the service department who is really into vw and an enthusiast and my response was really? Id like it to be noted on my account that only he works on my car lol. By no means do i think the other people there dont know what they are doing and stuff like that but I just have a little better piece of mind knowing someone who knows more then what they train you is working on the car and just not settling for the easy answers as to why the water pump isnt working and void it because I have led interior lights because they dont feel like doing it or whatever the reason be. Other then that there does seem to be some enthusiasts who work in the service department at least.

Mod Friendly- From what I have heard and believe they are about as mod friendly as a dealership can be. I dont have experience with it yet since I havent had any major issues or yearly service and checks that would lead them to see mods. The only thing I had when I went in for the Tire was my stage 2 intake and not a word was mentioned about it.

Also i dont believe they are an APR dealer unless it just happened recently, also im not sure how they are if lets say you buy h&r coils and would like them to install them and things to that nature.

mustache rash

Go Kart Champion
I have purchased 2 VWs from Smithtown. I live 2 minutes from Donaldson and still went to Smithtown. Very welcoming and went out of there way to make me happy. Their parking lot SUCKS though....

Donaldsons suck at selling cars. Won't even greet you or ask you if you need help. I will NEVER purchase a car from them. Thier service dept managed to put 30 miles on my car for a routine oil change and alignment. That didn't go over well with me

Frosty631

Ready to race!
I have purchased 2 VWs from Smithtown. I live 2 minutes from Donaldson and still went to Smithtown. Very welcoming and went out of there way to make me happy. Their parking lot SUCKS though....

Donaldsons suck at selling cars. Won't even greet you or ask you if you need help. I will NEVER purchase a car from them. Thier service dept managed to put 30 miles on my car for a routine oil change and alignment. That didn't go over well with me

I agree 100% with smithtowns parking lot haha it is the worst and I can relate to not being greeted and left standing at donaldsons before its hit or miss with getting help or greeted

Djmikeyd

Go Kart Champion
I have a couple things to say. First off, the dealer on Sunrise in west islip/bayshore is a pretty good place to get serviced. Didnt have a problem with them so far, but when I went there to buy a car, they wanted to sell me a used Gti, the same one as I have now with 10k miles + ripped off door handle and a bunch of shit messed up for 29,995. Got a better price on a brand new gti in Huntington. They also have an "enthusiast" guy working there, but not in service.

Platinum seems like a good place to buy a brand new car, reasonable at least.

Legend is probably going to be the new place for me to go since a friend works there, he did my exhaust and a bunch of stuff on my friends R. They are now apparently a Revo/stasis dealer, so agian, mod friendly. Just ask for Rocco.

Frosty631

Ready to race!
The one in islip/bayshore I believe is Atlantic Its super nice cause its new also and more modern

The Yetti

Ready to race!
I went to Sunrise. Javon was my guy. Pretty simple, got a good deal on my '13.

Frosty631

Ready to race!
Great stuff so far..thank you keep em coming

Frosty631

Ready to race!
Bumpy

illDub6

Ready to race!
LEGEND +1 x10000 . REPEAT DO NOT BRING YOUR CAR TO SUNRISE VW IN LYNBROOK , they will destroy your car and have you pay for it , they r crooks over there , my service rep even told me

kbuddha

Ready to race!
REPEAT DO NOT BRING YOUR CAR TO SUNRISE VW IN LYNBROOK , they will destroy your car and have you pay for it , they r crooks over there , my service rep even told me

Nick is correct. When I was looking into buying my GTi initially, these guys were 5 to 10k more expensive for the cars, they even had pre owned cars priced more expensive than my brandnew (at the time) 2012 GTi.

Honestly, Smithtown VW is my spot on the Eastern / Central end of suffolk county. My man Moose knows his shit and always does a kick ass job!

luv my dub76

Ready to race!
The one in islip/bayshore I believe is Atlantic Its super nice cause its new also and more modern
They are very nice .

luv my dub76

Ready to race!
Fuck platinum , bought a 09 from them . Went back to them to buy a 13 . All they had in stock where four doors in stock . Didn't even bother looking for a 2 door for me even though I was a repeat customer. Told me that there weren't any around. Even told them that Atlantic had the car. Salesman tells me that car isn't even at Atlantic . It's just on their site to bring people in . Went to Atlantic where I was treated very nicely and the 2 door manual autobahn was there in the lot as advertised on their site.
Once again FUCK PLATINUM VW