GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Linear springs on koni coilovers

Buffgli

Ready to race!
Just out of curiosity, how do you differentiate v1 vs v2? Is it just the P# on the springs?

Aphix

Go Kart Champion
sub'd. Guys, awesome work. this is one of the most interesting and impressive threads that I've read.

I wanted something a little more robust than my DG springs and OEM dampers, along with a ride height of ~25ftg. DG+B8's was not the answer since the height would be much higher. I'm going to seriously look into this as my next project.

Aphix

Go Kart Champion
I set the rear sway (H&R 22mm) on stiff tonight. The car is so balanced now. Its really nice. With the spring rates I have (280 front and rear) this together with H&R 26 mm front sway on soft works really well.

how is this set up working for you?

I want to go back to linear springs and get more control (willing to sacrifice comfort) and at first was considering Eibach Multipro R1's simply because the springs are linear, at a spring rate I considered usable and very easy compression/rebound adjustment.

Their spring rate is 280F/300R, and was thinking with my H&R 24mm rear sway bar(S), that may be too tail happy. Have you tried similar settings?

Pmanpop

Go Kart Champion
how is this set up working for you?

I want to go back to linear springs and get more control (willing to sacrifice comfort) and at first was considering Eibach Multipro R1's simply because the springs are linear, at a spring rate I considered usable and very easy compression/rebound adjustment.

Their spring rate is 280F/300R, and was thinking with my H&R 24mm rear sway bar(S), that may be too tail happy. Have you tried similar settings?

I personally don't think it'll be tail happy at all as long as you don't lift off mid corner with all assists off in the rain lol. Yes it'll rotate but nothing sketchy. Some will say yes but my car right now has 350 all around, Unibrace xb and 24mm rear bar on full stiff and its perfect. Of course that's user dependent

You could calculate your wheel rates (amount of spring rate that actually goes to the wheels) and go from there.

Aphix

Go Kart Champion
I personally don't think it'll be tail happy at all as long as you don't lift off mid corner with all assists off in the rain lol. Yes it'll rotate but nothing sketchy. Some will say yes but my car right now has 350 all around, Unibrace xb and 24mm rear bar on full stiff and its perfect. Of course that's user dependent

You could calculate your wheel rates (amount of spring rate that actually goes to the wheels) and go from there.

oh man, I have no idea what you are talking about! I get the idea of the physics, but.. Ill have to do a little looking.

My logic was pretty simple, I loved the DG spring rate (~240) but wanted a bit firmer so figured Id get something closer to 300. With firmer shocks, I think it would be a beast. Ill prob have to look at this and then hit you up with some questions. Also, would be killer to get a ride in your car to see what that spring rate feels like. :D

and thank you for feedback!

Pmanpop

Go Kart Champion
oh man, I have no idea what you are talking about! I get the idea of the physics, but.. Ill have to do a little looking.

My logic was pretty simple, I loved the DG spring rate (~240) but wanted a bit firmer so figured Id get something closer to 300. With firmer shocks, I think it would be a beast. Ill prob have to look at this and then hit you up with some questions. Also, would be killer to get a ride in your car to see what that spring rate feels like. :D

and thank you for feedback!

Did you ever think of DG springs with bilstein struts? that seems like it would be perfect! But if you want height adjustability then speedsters set up would be great. You'd have to get camber plates (which get noisey) or adapter for the linear springs to fit to the top mount.

Next canyon run I'll let you ride along. It's plenty firm but nothing bone jarring.

Aphix

Go Kart Champion
ha, I was soooo close to picking up B8's and doing that. But I was really not happy with the ride height (visually) and I am pretty certain I would go up more by adding B8's, especially in the rear and I already had some good rake.

I just cant believe there aren't more linear spring options.. but I need to call Ground Control and see if they have something for MK6 applications. I didnt see it offered online though. Eibach R1's seem perfect on paper for me though.. prob overkill, but wow, impressive.

yeah, I'd love to get a ride that would be awesome, and thank you.

Pmanpop

Go Kart Champion
Ahh I get it now. Eibach might be a good solution since they are linear and the rates are 300ish. Not many options lol. And no problem. Wish I could help more

Last edited:

Aphix

Go Kart Champion
talked with Ground Control today, man, the guy I spoke to gave me a lot of his time and lots of information. really impressed.

the short, they do make applications for the MK6, and they can give me what ever spring rate and length that I want. I also think he said they would adjust the koni yellows to match the spring rate.. need to confirm that part but that makes sense to me. I was told not to go lower than 350lbs for spring rate to avoid bottoming out.

these seem pretty great, but I dont love the "infinite" rebound adj on the yellows, and like even less the idea of how the rears adjust.

this would be cheaper than going into the Eibach R1's.. but Id lose easy R adjust on shock, and only have rebound adj (compression set on Yellows), and I wouldnt have a monotube shock.

this is kinda fun stuff.. and I cant wait to get back on linear springs.

gti_kev

Go Kart Champion
I can't wait to try his suspension. if pman kills me at the track, it's the first thing I'm doing. fuck better tires and wheels for now. lol

Pman: are you DSG or MT??

Pmanpop

Go Kart Champion
I can't wait to try his suspension. if pman kills me at the track, it's the first thing I'm doing. fuck better tires and wheels for now. lol

Pman: are you DSG or MT??

I'd say the best set up is the entire package. Superpro Control arms, ground control camber plates, and the unibrace xb all tied up with the coilover kit. It makes the car a complete animal. Super toss able and zero surprises.

Kev, I'm MT!

krookymonster

Ready to race!
Been checking out this thread for a while now, I will be putting linear springs on my wife's MK2 Beetle very soon. I actually made some top hat adapters at work to utilize the stock top mount and run a 2.5" ID spring. If anyone wants any of these adapters I can run them in my mill whenever. Just contact me at erich@42draftdesigns.com

Last edited:

rpc07

Ready to race!
Been checking out this thread for a while now, I will be putting linear springs on my wife's MK2 Beetle very soon. I actually made some top hat adapters at work to utilize the stock top mount and run a 2.5" ID spring. If anyone wants any of these adapters I can run them in my mill whenever. Just contact me at erich@42draftdesigns.com

What would a set of these cost?