GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

little electric shock when touching door after HID fog install

donjuandl

Passed Driver's Ed
hi, i just installed mu USP motorsport HID fog light kit.

http://uspmotorsports.com/product_info.php?cPath=26_357_455_711_549&products_id=655

Super easy installation. Nice look.

i just noticed that i get a small electric shock when i turn off the car and get out the car when touching the door. I'm definitively grounding the car. I dont remember having this issue before the installation.

i did not ground the can-bus since Gregg@ USPmotorsport told me not to do so.

is it normal or am I going crazy? ! :lol:

xHeartcoreboyx

IceCream GTI
Very normal, it has always been there :p

PS how the heck would you ground the canbus?!

Doesn't it just plug between the ballast and car harness?

donjuandl

Passed Driver's Ed
Very normal, it has always been there :p

PS how the heck would you ground the canbus?!

Doesn't it just plug between the ballast and car harness?

a ground cable comes with the canbus in the box. I was just wondering if it was supposed to be installed.

thanks for the quick answer!

allset

Go Kart Champion
some ballasts need to be grounded to the frame, should be an eye with a screw on the metal ballast casing run a wire to the frame (unpainted part)

U could also be getting shocked ofr a completly different reason. Its normal once in a while. It actually can cause exposions if it happens in the wrong spot while gassing up.

donjuandl

Passed Driver's Ed
some ballasts need to be grounded to the frame, should be an eye with a screw on the metal ballast casing run a wire to the frame (unpainted part)

U could also be getting shocked ofr a completly different reason. Its normal once in a while. It actually can cause exposions if it happens in the wrong spot while gassing up.

There is an eye with a screw on the ballast. Should I ground it?

gfox33

Go Kart Champion
I dont see why you wouldn't ground it. If it came with it, it should probably be used.