GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

LSD important or not ?

viator092

I believe on the Nuremberg the VAQ lapped a whole 6 secs quicker than a non VAQ. That's a huge difference !

Six seconds on the 20.8km Nordsliefe or the GP? Six seconds over 20.8km is not much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI
The PP car is much more tidy (neutral) when applying power mid-turn, with the non-PP car I could feel push/understeer.
This is even more true when you set the diff to "increased traction". It feels like the diff is working most of the time with this setting. I also like the way it made the steering feel a bit heavier, similar to my MKV.

Last edited:

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
Six seconds on the 20.8km Nordsliefe or the GP? Six seconds over 20.8km is not much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It's actually a lot for two cars with the same power..... but it's cool, not everyone cares about Motorsports. Even a second difference is a "mile" in racing.

SendyMk7

This is even more true when you set the diff to "increased traction". It feels like the diff is working most of the time with this setting. I also like the way it made the steering feel a bit heavier, similar to my MKV.

How do you set the diff to “increased traction”? 2017 Autobahn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
I'd say if you don't really need to track or autoX or something its not a necessity. GTI is a comfortable, fast-ish commuter car that is better than your average econobox even in the base trim. If that is your expectation you are pretty ok without VAQ.

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI
How do you set the diff to “increased traction”? 2017 Autobahn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These are the only instructions I could find on it.

https://drivetribe.com/p/performance-vcds-tweaks-Dky7b-PTQpqIwVFrasMoeA?iid=TAn4OdTwQluxFzmPC6uFpg
The instructions are for VCDS but should be the same for OBD11.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I'd say if you don't really need to track or autoX or something its not a necessity. GTI is a comfortable, fast-ish commuter car that is better than your average econobox even in the base trim. If that is your expectation you are pretty ok without VAQ.

Bro, it's okay, you don't have to pity them. Everyone knows it's 100 times cooler to have the VAQ than to not have it :D

Square1

Go Kart Champion
Drive a car with a Wavetrac and you'll forget all about VAQ.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

gti211

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks for all the responses. Depending on what type of deal I get I will be leaning towards the SE but if the deal sucks I will just go for the S model. One of the first mods I will getting will be some sticky tires probally in the 245r range, dogbone insert, Apr stage 1 and lowering springs. Too bad they stop making the dark gray on the new mk7.5 loved that color. Don’t know why they decided they needed two blues with that hidious green teal. Might go for the white silver or black

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
Drive a car with a Wavetrac and you'll forget all about VAQ.

Drive a car with the VAQ and a Wavetrac and you'll forget... stuff. Your wallet won't like you for having spent more than the PP costs to just install an LSD though.

Square1

Go Kart Champion
Drive a car with the VAQ and a Wavetrac and you'll forget... stuff. Your wallet won't like you for having spent more than the PP costs to just install an LSD though.
I like the idea of both. You win.
I did the Wavetrac and it's tough to compare the VAQ system in an apples to apples comparison.

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
I didn't buy the car to mod, I did to specifically to run for the class I am in for SCCA Solo so I optioned the way I did for that reason.

If you don't track or anything you honestly don't need LSD. Plenty of people who buys GTI do not do that...

gti211

Passed Driver's Ed
I totally agree ^^^ Does not having a LSD effect the amount of power that can be put down from a modded car or does it primarily effect cornering out of turns with lack of traction ? How about straight line power and launching ? Does the stabilty of the car drop ?

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
LSD will help putting down power. Works better in corner because in the act of cornering you are affecting grip between left and right wheel. But that can still happen in a straight line. Its effect in these cars is really only under throttle input.

Moonray

Passed Driver's Ed
[...] I do plan on at the very least doing a stage 1 apr tune with a down pipe and intake [...]

Then I'd say SE. You'll want all the grip (and brakes) you can get. I don't do hard launches, but the VAQ does come to the rescue when the car begins to push. It's sorta like a safety feature for an average driver like myself.

8" infotainment is another upgrade.