GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Manual Driving

circulator

Passed Driver's Ed
Yes, standing start. Not take off quickly as in the case of drag racing, just aiming for a standing start speed similar to my A3.

TSC? How do I turn that off?

It just takes practice I guess....the A3 is a fair comparison power/motor wise but the AWD will make a big difference in how the car takes off.

There is a small button just in front of the shifter in the MK6. Although it might be labeled ESB..... either way traction control of any kind off.

OverTimer1

Go Kart Champion
Yes, standing start. Not take off quickly as in the case of drag racing, just aiming for a standing start speed similar to my A3.

TSC? How do I turn that off?

If your talking about just taking off from a light the easiest way is to skip from 1st to 3rd on a flat/slight uphill grade or from a downhill grade starting in 2nd.
Having traction control of isn't going to do you any good unless your trying to launch your car.

this is a good thread. My advice: with a/c on, you better shift quick and you must not let the tach drop more than a 750-900 rpm or so by the time you let off to engage 2nd. Come to think of it.... whenever you shift, you want to ONLY let the tach drop around 750-900rpms for smooth shifting.

For EX: start off in 1st, shift at 3000rpm, make sure you engage 2nd by 2250 rpm or so. Shift at 3000 again, on to 3rd gear, make sure to release clutch by 2300 rpm. etc etc etc....

Each car is different... with the GTI, we have a ton of torque...so for city driving, we need only shift near 2500-2700 rpm... (for conservative driving of course)

In this car, it is imperative that you start depressing the throttle ever so slightly before even letting off the clutch. (1st to 2nd) Do not let the whole clutch release and NOT give it throttle.... YOU WILL BOG and you will get that clutch saving "delay" lag whatever...

Peachaz

Ready to race!
also just a TIP for manuals: when when you slow down for a stop sign/light/turn. leave it in gear and let off the clutch until you reach around 1k RPM or when the appropriate gear needed for a turn.

the reason being, is that when in gear while slowing down, you dont use any gas to do so. over the span of a tank this will save you on gas. its small mounts, but it adds up.

while stopped at light, leave it in first gear, unless the wait is long.

just a few friendly tips.

I disagree with this. This will not save gas but instead saves brakes. When downshifting, with the accelerator pedal off, the car is given idle fuel and air. If you use pure brakes to stop, fuel consumption is at idle levels. If you engaged the transmission to stop without depressing the accelerator (downshift), the engine friction is used to slow the car rather than the friction from the brakes. You'll likely have to supplement the downshift with brakes, but won't wear the pads out as much. I usually don't downshift into first because of the large ratio between 1st and 2nd. All other gears are good to go for downshifting.

Shinster

Ready to race!
reviving an old thread but how's everybody doing with their driving?
It's been a year for me and driving stick is almost second nature. It's been a while since I smelled that horrible stench of burned clutch unless I've been having some fun :cool:

I'm still not great at 'spirited driving' but I'm hoping to autocross sometime this year. Anybody have any pointers or helpful hints?

Macgyver1

If you can find a very experienced driver to spend a half an hour with you, you will learn more than you will by yourself in a few years. The key is to match rev's up shifting and down shifting. Never slip a clutch any more than absolutely required. I have 230.000 miles on my 98 M3, all on the original clutch. Driving fast does not wear out a clutch, improper shifting does. Most experienced drivers would be more than happy to teach you the finer points of shifting. I would.

Last edited:

Shinster

Ready to race!
With a username like 'Macgyver', I'll believe everything you tell me. Too bad you live across the country...Thanks

Saleen731

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey also good tip for all manual drivers NEVER use your clutch pedal as a foot rest lol I lost two throwout bearings on my Saleen before I figured out what I was doing wrong. I know its easy to forget but make a mental note to take your foot off every shift.

xxmagnusxx

Ready to race!
Not true for fuel-injected engines. Engine braking saves both gas and brakes.

See for example http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/how-to/4230705

Your engine is made to make the car go. Your brakes are made to slow down the car. "Engine braking" is putting unnecessary wear on your engine parts. I don't know about your, but replacing brake pads is a lot cheaper than getting an engine rebuild.

As for driving a manual, it's already been stated that at a stop, you need to give it a little bit of gas before completely taking your foot off the clutch.

More tips: Do not ride the clutch when stopped or coming to a stop or taking a corner. You always want to be in control.

Axleman

Ready to race!
Your engine is made to make the car go. Your brakes are made to slow down the car. "Engine braking" is putting unnecessary wear on your engine parts. I don't know about your, but replacing brake pads is a lot cheaper than getting an engine rebuild.

How exactly does engine braking cause unnecessary wear? Do you have examples of engine failures caused by engine braking?