GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

manual shifter in a dsg

mk6gti!

Passed Driver's Ed
ok i know this is weird but the 6sp shifter is so much cleaner and better looking than the dsg one. is it possible to buy a 6sp shifter and attache it to a dsg car? i just like the cleaner look of the 6sp and im the only one that drives it so i know its a dsg and not a 6sp. plus only 2 pedals

Peachaz

Ready to race!
ok i know this is weird but the 6sp shifter is so much cleaner and better looking than the dsg one. is it possible to buy a 6sp shifter and attache it to a dsg car? i just like the cleaner look of the 6sp and im the only one that drives it so i know its a dsg and not a 6sp. plus only 2 pedals

Chucktaylor19?

CFG9000

Ready to race!
Uhhh...you might be able to screw a manual knob on the end, but you'd still have the DSG's base with the gear indicators and whatnot. Unless you custom-installed a bigger leather boot.

D Griff

Go Kart Champion
I'm guessing you couldchange out the center console, boot and knob. In most cars the boot is clipped/zip tied to the opening in the console and then secured at the top to the know, so the manual boot is going to fit with the manual knob and console opening. Maybe you could cut the whole larger in your car, but that doesn't sound like a road I would head down. Does the DSG knob screw off like a normal shift knob?

path

Ready to race!
To answer your literal question, no, you cannot put a manual shifter in a DSG car.

Could you potentially camouflage a DSG shifter as a manual one...probably, anything can be done with adequate resources.

hippiesrock03

Go Kart Champion

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Actually you could, but you must modify the shift knob to actuate the mechanical lever.

hippiesrock03

Go Kart Champion
Seems possible. But would it allow you to go far enough down to S mode and far enough up to Park? And what about M mode? 5th and 6th gear? Haha

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Seems possible. But would it allow you to go far enough down to S mode and far enough up to Park? And what about M mode? 5th and 6th gear? Haha

You wouldnt change the actual mechanical actuation of the gears. You would pop off the garnish, replace the knob, and have the lever unchanged.

hippiesrock03

Go Kart Champion
You wouldnt change the actual mechanical actuation of the gears. You would pop off the garnish, replace the knob, and have the lever unchanged.

Ah...gotcha! :thumbsup:

mk6gti! go for it haha.

ROOSTER1050

Go Kart Champion
welll....you could get the "cleanest looking" one anyway.....

only $369 :eek:

Saabstory

.:R32 OG Member # 002
Yes; can totally be done; there is an autobox actuator that changes the DSG pushbutton to a lift-to-shift, and then you can put any shift knob you want on it. Once that part is good, you just have to mod the base of the manual leather boot to fit and it'll pop right in...

I'll post you a link in a few (just gotta find it again)

EDIT: Here is the shifter mechanism mod: http://www.supremepowerparts.com/products/prod_details.aspx?prod_id=5198

And here are various instructions depending on what you want to do:

http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142940&highlight=Tip+Mod

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4176712

Last edited:

hippiesrock03

Go Kart Champion
I think the 2012 DSG shifter knob looks perfect! Much better than the 10 and 11!

This one? If so, I believe the late 2011 models have it, I do :)