GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MASTER CLUTCH APPLICATION GUIDE - WHAT DO WE REALLY NEED?

JT641

Banned
I look forward to that, but most vids don't have high enough sound quality for me to really hear the clutches.....because, well, you said it, these cars sound like diesels.....

Maybe it's much ado about nothing, but I know that if I hear something that I can readily identify as something not quite right with the clutch it will drive me bonkers after shelling out ~$1500

I didn't pay $1500 for mine, Talk to Mike He'll hook you up, A friend of mine with a MK6 Golf R just recently got the same set up installed & he likes it. Everyone's noise tolerance is different (I've got bionic hearing so some noises really bother while others don't) and some cars will quieter than others with the exact same clutch set up.

What are you running and how much gain do you estimate from the smfw?

Checkout my build thread. It's all there http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46439

privman

Ready to race!
My clutch chatter isn't that bad at all. I mean if you have a full exhaust I don't see why you couldn't handle the chatter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Irishbri

Go Kart Champion

Irishbri

Go Kart Champion
My clutch chatter isn't that bad at all. I mean if you have a full exhaust I don't see why you couldn't handle the chatter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Alas, I don't have a full exhaust....Res Delete is it until I go Stage 2 and then prob just enough downpipe to get the job done.....I have the mod bug but pretty much want to do it on the (reasonably) cheap....

TLDR: I guess I need to hear to proverbial "chatter" first hand to where my tolerance lies.....

Irishbri

Go Kart Champion
Thanks alot man....I actually happened on your video on You Tube a while ago.....I barely can figure out all the various sounds my car makes under the hood in person....so even your video (as well done and straight forward as it is) doesn't really give me a full sound "picture".....

Irishbri

Go Kart Champion
Last edited:
I spoke to you via email today Mike....Definitely considering your Stage 3....Would it be pretty much plug and play except for the TOB?

Yes, it will bolt right up to the dual mass flywheel. You just use your stock TOB or buy a new OEM one. What to make sure you start off with a fresh surface on the flywheel.

mattttt

Go Kart Champion
Quick question: If K04 ends up being the biggest turbo I ever put on this car, should I go with a Stage 2 Daily or Endurance (South Bend)?

I do daily the car in LA traffic but don't mind a little effort or noise.

IndyTom

Ready to race!
Quick question: If K04 ends up being the biggest turbo I ever put on this car, should I go with a Stage 2 Daily or Endurance (South Bend)?

Personally I would go HSTuning RSR Clutch. Plenty of clamping force for a K04 application and complete drivability in every day traffic situations. Been happy with it for the last year and a half. Still going strong.
But if you want to go South Bend I would go with their daily option not only for better drivability but for more durability in a daily driver. Some of these so called "Performance" clutches are not meant to be driven in stop and go traffic. Friend of mine got a stage 4 which wore out in less than 3 months and they pretty much told him that the clutch wasn't meant to be durable in daily driving situations. So he was pretty much screwed. Bigger isn't always better ;)

mustache rash

Go Kart Champion

My southbend stage 2 daily is slipping with a k04. Go RSR

mattttt

Go Kart Champion
Personally I would go HSTuning RSR Clutch. Plenty of clamping force for a K04 application and complete drivability in every day traffic situations. Been happy with it for the last year and a half. Still going strong.
But if you want to go South Bend I would go with their daily option not only for better drivability but for more durability in a daily driver. Some of these so called "Performance" clutches are not meant to be driven in stop and go traffic. Friend of mine got a stage 4 which wore out in less than 3 months and they pretty much told him that the clutch wasn't meant to be durable in daily driving situations. So he was pretty much screwed. Bigger isn't always better ;)

That's my biggest nightmare, especially since I might end up going stage 3 instead of K04 and I know I've heard of some stage 3 R's running the RSR without any slipping.

My southbend stage 2 daily is slipping with a k04. Go RSR

Aaaaand I think this just sealed the deal. Aphix let me try his out and it was only slightly stiffer than the stock feel, I really liked it. I think I'll be ordering the RSR today, thanks guys!

JT641

Banned
Disgusted!!!!!!!!!
Everyone wants to blame the equipment as being the issue: It's either to noisy or it doesn't last. Even "Some" Race Car Drivers Do this to cause They're Not Man Enough to Admit They Screwed Up. Well after driving my car for over 50K I've come to the conclusion that "Some" of the ones that are Wearing Out Fast are Because of Improper Clutch Operation. A lot of people have it there head that you have to press down the clutch all the way each time you shift to change gears, Couple that with people getting on the gas before the clutch has started to re-engage and you have recipe for Burning Out Your Clutch Fast!!!!!!!!. I Now Have Over 34K On My SB Stage 2 Endurance and I'm VERY PLEASED With it's Overall Performance and If it was to go out next month I Would Buy The Same Thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I daily drive my GTI & Sometimes in Some Really BAD TRAFFIC, Yet it is Still Going Strong. I learned early on when I First Bought My GTI that I didn't have to press down on the clutch pedal much to dis-engage the clutch to shift gears & I still drive it the same way.

A friend of mine with a Nissan Twin Turbo 300ZX with over 500HP at the rear wheels only got 20K out of his Racing Style Puck Clutch and Yet he was very happy with it's performance and he also Daily Drove it for the past 3 years, Now he has a Honda Civic for a Daily Driver.

If you plan on modding your car a lot But don't want to put up with noisy clutches & changing clutches Get An Automatic!!!!!! Or another car with an Automatic for a Daily Driver.