GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Merkle's Truck Talk & other Musings.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
I drove Merkle's Dodge. It's slower than my C5.

Merkle

Banned
Epic trip cliff notes:

-Thought I was leaving at 6am, nope, bought tickets for 6pm, so I had to make arrangements with my contact in Baltimore.

-9:45pm, we had to land due to bad weather, wait for Charlotte airport to open up and wait for fuel, so I sat in a little commuter jet for two and a half hours waiting, lame.

-12:02, Land at CLT airport, have to catch connecting flight to Baltimore which leaves at 12:18, and CLT is a HUGE fucking airport. I was a fat man running through a sea of nerved travelers.

-2:05 Land at Baltimore, head to my friend's house, get to sleep by 3:00

-Sat Morning: Met up with Rockchops, gay sex, drove the Saturn Sky, got some E30 parts, and at 8:00 I was at Griff's door for more gay sex.

I'll post my C5 opinions in the C5 circle jerk thread.

Sun: Got up, drove to Auburn AL, met up with Jessi and we drove back. Only real incident was a Civic that caught on fire.

Saw a lot of cool things on my trip, NE is really pretty in the fall, even with rain. Much color, so leaves, wow.

In other news:

Brad dropped off my minibike frame, so I'll start putting that together this week ;)

Merkle

Banned
A friend of mine does, stars aligned on this deal. Buddy needs E30 parts, Baltimore has a shop that strips E30's and sells for parts.

Merkle

Banned
Truck update:

Friday cleaned her up, and decided to replace the O2 sensors. Well they're seized in the Y-pipe, after stripping the threads off of one, and stripping the threads off of another I decided to replace the whole thing. Also the p/s puked all over the garage floor, and the compressor clutch is on it's way out, so the truck is sitting in my garage right now waiting on parts.

I have the headliner out to replace it as well, and it will be getting a new stereo.

Merkle

Banned

My love of cleaning knows no bounds. :lol:

I also took the seats out and vacuumed about 20 lbs worth of dog hair and other nasties from the inside, and cleaned up the cabin.

mk6medic

Go Kart Champion
You need to come over and detail my Cobra engine bay. I have never been good at doing that. I am also in need of getting around the injectors clean so I can see what color they are - which tells me how many lbs they are.

BRB checking on flights from BR to Roseville. Or BR to SAC. Either way.

Merkle

Banned
Go for the cleaning, stay for the NEEK. I'm in.

It's getting all messed up with all the work I'm doing to it, but NFG, I want my truck back, I haven't driven it in a week. :(
I need to install the LSD in the Miata, but I don't want to take one car apart without another reliable one to replace it.

BillyBob

is afraid of the dyno...
Whoever designed the oil cap to be there should be beaten. It's under like 5 different hoses/ wires.

Truck update:

Friday cleaned her up, and decided to replace the O2 sensors. Well they're seized in the Y-pipe, after stripping the threads off of one, and stripping the threads off of another I decided to replace the whole thing.

Sounds like zoomies are in your future! :thumbsup:

Merkle

Banned
So, how'd you clean the engine bay so well? Products, method, etc?
Spray it down with water, then some simple green and scrub the big stuff with a wheel brush and the small areas with a parts brush. Pretty simple, do that a couple of times for a dirty bay and it cleans off most of the dirt. Remove engine covers and wash them separately.

Dry off with a leaf blower, dirt collects in little puddles of water, all the plastic ribs and small things, they make it look dirty again.

I use Armor All to make all the hoses and plastics black again. This takes the most time, but the results are well worth it.

I'm on my phone, but Chemical Guys has a great video on engine bay cleaning, they use fancy stuff, but they demonstrate on an E46 M3, fanciness. The techniques are the same, fuck the expensive chemicals for a regular vehicle

D Griff

Go Kart Champion
When I clean engine bays I just spray it down with a bunch of simple green then spray it off with the hose. Gets it 80% clean in 15 minutes. Anything beyond that isn't worth the work to me.