GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk6 2.0 TSI engine hesitation and stuttering - what next to try?

Pagoda

No idea, but I’m in 08872 central NJ with VCDS. You’re always welcome to come by for a scan if needed.
Thanks for the offer - very kind. I'm going to order the new plugs and check them after a few thousand miles and go from there. May take you up on it if the car continues to eat plugs.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Is there ANY chance you didn't gap them correctly at install by accident? Not sure how the gap would change that much in that time frame. The wear could be a defect in the plug but to get 4 defective plugs is a bit odd.

Pagoda

Is there ANY chance you didn't gap them correctly at install by accident? Not sure how the gap would change that much in that time frame. The wear could be a defect in the plug but to get 4 defective plugs is a bit odd.

I *think* I gapped them properly. I'm pretty fastidious about thing like that and don't trust gapping from the factory, but I can't be 100% certain. I think the gap - which was considerable when I checked them - has become so large because the electrode has been eroded. It's also possible that I gapped them incorrectly I suppose (my plug gap feelers are in mm and I was converting from inches - ended up with .8MM I think).

I'll see how I get on with the new plugs. Thanks again.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
It's also possible that I gapped them incorrectly I suppose (my plug gap feelers are in mm and I was converting from inches - ended up with .8MM I think).

It happens man. I once pumped like 65psi of air into the tires on the Treg because my digital guage was set to KPa and was showing 414 but LOOKED like 41.4. lol Luckily the Touareg has real TPMS so I didn't get far before realizing the error.

Pagoda

It certain does happen. When I replaced the outlet manifold on this vehicle I diligently removed the 4 metal 'blades' (whatever they're called) that sit in the chambers, and put them in a plastic container filled with top engine cleaner to save me some time as I got stuck into the carbon that was stuck to the valves. A neighbour turned up halfway through (her car was losing coolant so she popped over to ask for some help finding it). I lost track of where I was on the GTI and after cleaning the valves and chambers, put the new manifold on, fully reconnected EVERYTHING, then saw the small container holding the 4 blades. On the plus side, stripping and reassembling the manifold was a damn sight quicker second time around.

Crooked Golf R

Thanks, Thumper. My confusion. I recall the crap I had to clean from the valves and ports when I changed the outlet manifold. Not pretty.

To update and ask a question: my new coil pack came, but following the advice above I thought I'd re-torque the plugs to 30NM and check their condition whilst I was at it. Noting these plugs NGK PFR7SEG) have done maybe 8K miles, I was pretty surprised to see that the electrodes looked pretty worn. I checked the gap to .8MM (.032") and it was also way off (wider). So I suppose the electrodes have worn considerably in a very short period. I've re-gapped and lo, the car now runs perfectly.

Question 1: Although I've worked a lot on older cars 60s-90s I've never seen that kind of wear on a plug in that timeframe. What could cause it? Anything else I need to check?

Question 2: I'd like to change from these plugs to another type. I saw a couple of folks on the forum using these:
NGK 2667 BKR7EIX Iridium IX

My car is stock and babied; used as a run-around and not raced, so looking for something long lasting and ideally not too expensive.

Grateful for any advice.
Hi Pagoda,

I have been having the same issue. I have a 2013 Mk6 Golf R, 65k miles, that had a heavy engine stutter on a high acceleration or load of throttle and a blinking CEL after consistent throttle load. I couldn't get the car past 2k RPM. Just replaced the coil packs and spark plugs. The car drives remotely better but still does the same thing around 3k-4500 rpm and 75% throttle. I did 18ftlbs for torque on plugs.

What spacing and torque did you set for your car to be running smooth? I've also heard about potential new injectors, but do not want to drop 600 dollars to gamble that it would be injectors.

Thought about also taking the car to a local shop for an inspection since I already did an OBDeleven scan and had the same cylinder 4 misfire and all cylinder misfire codes come up. Interestingly enough the CEL never came on after the coil and plug replacement.

Clarity would surely be appreciated!

NewGuy1

Go Kart Champion
Hi Pagoda,

I have been having the same issue. I have a 2013 Mk6 Golf R, 65k miles, that had a heavy engine stutter on a high acceleration or load of throttle and a blinking CEL after consistent throttle load. I couldn't get the car past 2k RPM. Just replaced the coil packs and spark plugs. The car drives remotely better but still does the same thing around 3k-4500 rpm and 75% throttle. I did 18ftlbs for torque on plugs.

What spacing and torque did you set for your car to be running smooth? I've also heard about potential new injectors, but do not want to drop 600 dollars to gamble that it would be injectors.

Thought about also taking the car to a local shop for an inspection since I already did an OBDeleven scan and had the same cylinder 4 misfire and all cylinder misfire codes come up. Interestingly enough the CEL never came on after the coil and plug replacement.

Clarity would surely be appreciated!
Doubt youll get a reply from him since he hasnt logged in in two years

So are you getting a CEL or not? Youve said both... And if it went away after a spark and coil swap what is the remaining issue?

Sparks should be torqued to 18ft lbs and a good gap is 0.032 (this partially depends on types of spark used and type of tune if any)
Highly unlikely unless your sparks are completely wrong that it would be from spacing and torque... sounds more like an injector issue which should throw some sort of code.

Also its pretty heavily advised to not drive it during those times with blinking CEL.