GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 TDI GSW eating ac compressors?

DangerDane2008

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GSW TDI DSG
Yesterday I had AC. Today I don’t. This has been an on going problem I’ve had to deal with on this car every year that I’ve had it. If it’s the compressor… This will be the 4th one that it’s needed. Theres clearly and underlying issue that’s causing my car to eat compressors and I’m not sure where to start.

OEM unit got replaced for being “weak” only worked well while driving.

Nessins units put in 2021 and 2022.

DangerDane2008

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GSW TDI DSG
IMG_9807.jpeg
Coolant reservoir is a little low. I’ll start with that. I’m also parked on an upward incline so it might not be as low as it looks

beardedGTI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport 6mt
Engine coolant in your photo doesn’t have anything to do with the AC.

When compressors fail, they can fail spectacularly sending metal shrapnel through the coolant lines. This is why people often times replace the whole system when they experience a problem: compressor, condenser, evap, and expansion valve. Then flush or replace the lines before everything is reinstalled. This is to make sure the sh*t is completely purged from what is otherwise a close loop system.

Your symptoms sound almost exactly like what happens when you don’t do that - shrapnel introduced into system, only one piece replaced (compressor), metal chunks continue to circulate through the system, gets lodged in the compressor again, compressor dies, replace just the compressor, metal chunks continue to circulate… rinse and repeat. Replace the whole system If you want it fixed.

DangerDane2008

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GSW TDI DSG
T
Engine coolant in your photo doesn’t have anything to do with the AC.

When compressors fail, they can fail spectacularly sending metal shrapnel through the coolant lines. This is why people often times replace the whole system when they experience a problem: compressor, condenser, evap, and expansion valve. Then flush or replace the lines before everything is reinstalled. This is to make sure the sh*t is completely purged from what is otherwise a close loop system.

Your symptoms sound almost exactly like what happens when you don’t do that - shrapnel introduced into system, only one piece replaced (compressor), metal chunks continue to circulate through the system, gets lodged in the compressor again, compressor dies, replace just the compressor, metal chunks continue to circulate… rinse and repeat. Replace the whole system If you want it fixed.
Sounds like this is gonna SUCK

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
Have you noticed any nasty smells outside the car on hot days when running the ac?

DangerDane2008

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GSW TDI DSG
Outside? Not that I’ve noticed. The air coming out of my vents usually stinks for some reason.

Went to the dealership after hours to see a friend of mine. Put it on a machine and evacuated and refilled the system yesterday and my friend put it on his snap on computer. ECU shows the compressor is working while hooked the computer but it’s obviously not. He seems to think the control valve isn’t working.