GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mods you're wasting money on...

JacobAllison

Ready to race!
Great original post. There could even be a worthwhile mods post like it.

Funny you should mention;

Best Bang for the Buck Mods

Including different options depending on which way you want to go. Not as much explanation as here- I wanted to make it nice and simple and stupidly didn't reserve myself a second post.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
If you wrapped a turd in carbon fiber, a lot of people here would find a place to attach it to their car.

JacobAllison

Ready to race!
Then why not just crap off the side?

A couple of reasons:

1. Can't discharge any waste within 12NM of shore
  2. Can't discharge untreated waste within 50nm of shore
  3. The big races can be months long and noone wants 14 people crapping over the side for that long when camera boats are following.
  4. It sucks enough being on one of these boats..
And the big one:

Nope.

Noper.

Nopest!

On deck is not a safe place. :)

Back on topic- I though the main reasons not to bother with catch cans is that they literally don't catch anything in our engines?

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
Catch cans may slow deposits on intake valves, but deposits are still going to get there. So, if you're keeping the car for, say, 200,000 miles, maybe you'll only have to get walnut blasted once instead of two or three times?

TheGreekFreak

Go Kart Champion
In the end of the day, every mod is essentially a waste of money. Hell, any car with a purpose outside of being a bulletproof cheap econobox is a waste of money. Really, everything outside of food, water, shelter, and investing in the future is a waste of money.

Still, if even a stupid mod brings you daily enjoyment and isn't gonna break a budget you made based on your own finances, its worth it in my book. Sometimes entertainment comes at a price which is why so many of us went with a GTI or R over, say, a stripped down compact toyota [insert name].

Now to those who brag about performance gains from catbacks or intakes or silly spoilers....yes, you are foolishly wasting your money and missing the point. Stop!

jb99875

Ready to race!
In the end of the day, every mod is essentially a waste of money. Hell, any car with a purpose outside of being a bulletproof cheap econobox is a waste of money. Really, everything outside of food, water, shelter, and investing in the future is a waste of money.

Still, if even a stupid mod brings you daily enjoyment and isn't gonna break a budget you made based on your own finances, its worth it in my book. Sometimes entertainment comes at a price which is why so many of us went with a GTI or R over, say, a stripped down compact toyota [insert name].

Now to those who brag about performance gains from catbacks or intakes or silly spoilers....yes, you are foolishly wasting your money and missing the point. Stop!

Best post on this thread

Jovian

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI
I used to do a lot more to my cars when I was younger. Today its just Tires, software and very little else. Even stock suspension are amazing now today. Unless you like the lowered look or track your car there really isnt much of a reason to change it.

Now that being said if I ever blow up my IS20 I will probably go for a IS38 but not unless the IS20 grenades itself.

Having owned 2 generations of the GTI (MKV, MK6), and modding both to Stage 2+, I have to agree with most of the list. The older cars diverters were crap though, and replacing them with something like the Forge was just needed at higher boost levels. The MK6 and what I hear of the 7 shows that VW finally made one worth a damn. Cat backs were never for power, and intakes were only useful in the slightest with a tune that was designed to take advantage of it. Sounds like not much has changed in a few generations.

-Dutch-

Drag Race Newbie

Nicely said. I have a few performance mods planned, but when I saw a BOV pop up on here for a good price, I jumped on it. Do I expect it to do anything besides make noise? Nope. Do I think it'll make me grin? Yup.

Maybe I'll get sick of it after a week, maybe not. All I know is I've wanted one for 15 years, and I'm throwing it on this weekend.