GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

More apparent drone after installing motor mounts?

NewGuy1

Go Kart Champion
Hey Guys,

I recently switched out my worn stock mounts (engine and trans) with cts street mounts which are essentially identical to 034 street mounts.
(60 duro and same exact specs and looks)

After the install it seems that I now have additional exhaust sounds between 2000-3000 rpm cruising range.

I know changing mounts will increase NVH but will it make exhaust drone more apparent?
Furthermore my exhaust is stock which most people say doesn't have any drone.

I do have a cts turbo muffler delete installed if perhaps that is adding to it.
Anyone else experience this type of situation?

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Hey Guys,

I recently switched out my worn stock mounts (engine and trans) with cts street mounts which are essentially identical to 034 street mounts.
(60 duro and same exact specs and looks)

After the install it seems that I now have additional exhaust sounds between 2000-3000 rpm cruising range.

I know changing mounts will increase NVH but will it make exhaust drone more apparent?
Furthermore my exhaust is stock which most people say doesn't have any drone.

I do have a cts turbo muffler delete installed if perhaps that is adding to it.
Anyone else experience this type of situation?

Id say its normal. Just expect increased noise all around with mounts. Might just be a certain resonance of the engine transferring noise to the chassis or exhaust from the stiff mounts at that rpm which is causing perceived drone

NewGuy1

Go Kart Champion
Id say its normal. Just expect increased noise all around with mounts. Might just be a certain resonance of the engine transferring noise to the chassis or exhaust from the stiff mounts at that rpm which is causing perceived drone

Yea I just find it odd that no ones experienced it before.
I cant be the only one running street mounts with stock exhaust aha.

Although even those these CTS mounts look and are spec'd identically to 034 mounts I did have a fitment issue. Which I've never seen anyone mention with 034 mounts.

It was minor just needed to widen bolt hole to hold wiper fluid res opening.

I made sure to verify that it was seated properly, but still sat about 1/8" too tall.

clownish

just clowning around
I can’t add substantively to your issues beyond what jay mentioned - I’d agree with him.

But I would add that you’re saying on paper that CTS is specced exactly the same as 034 - but in my experience, CTS hardware generally doesn’t fit properly on the first try whereas a tier1 aftermarket company like IE,034 or APR generally will. Your experience in needing to modify something to make it fit further proves that out. I’ve seen this happen many many times during exhaust installs, turbo installs, etc... even simple things like intakes. Things are just slightly off. Even the packaging fit and finish is just less nice. Yes, it doesn’t really matter in the grand scheme of things, and yes the parts are slightly cheaper, but it does all add up. Keep it in mind when comparing aftermarket parts and brands and price points.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
I feel like my exhaust tone changed slightly after motor mounts. It didn't drone more, but the sound had definitely changed, and for the better IMO.

NewGuy1

Go Kart Champion
I can’t add substantively to your issues beyond what jay mentioned - I’d agree with him.

But I would add that you’re saying on paper that CTS is specced exactly the same as 034 - but in my experience, CTS hardware generally doesn’t fit properly on the first try whereas a tier1 aftermarket company like IE,034 or APR generally will. Your experience in needing to modify something to make it fit further proves that out. I’ve seen this happen many many times during exhaust installs, turbo installs, etc... even simple things like intakes. Things are just slightly off. Even the packaging fit and finish is just less nice. Yes, it doesn’t really matter in the grand scheme of things, and yes the parts are slightly cheaper, but it does all add up. Keep it in mind when comparing aftermarket parts and brands and price points.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea I think this'll be last time I buy from them.
Products are still good but its the little things that matter.

I bought their turbo muffler delete kit with relocation bracket as well
and while the turbo muffler delete part fit perfectly, the experience with relocation bracket for the n75 that was paired with the kit was bad.

They sent incorrect sized screws and the replacement tubing was cheap and too small compared to stock. Meaning the OEM clamps that hold onto the tube didn't hold well. Just ended up modifying stock one and tossing their supplied one.