GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MPG sorcery?

What is this sorcery that everyone is getting, 30MPG? 35MPG???
I've read many threads about MPG and none of them seem to apply to me.
On a good day, I would be getting 9.2L/100KM (25.5 MPG [US]) on a bad day, I am getting 11L/100KM (21 MPG [US]). And as I go down the tuning road, the fuel consumption goes down.. Lowest/highest i've got on the GTI on highway crusing was 5.8L/100KM (40.5 MPG [US]) when it was completely stock. Unless you guys are calculating in MPG (UK) [I have no idea what the difference is, but it gives you more...] I am way off than average.. My GTI is new, less than 6000Kms. Air filter is clean, injectors are fine, sensors are working. Can anyone explain this? I thought MPG = Miles per Galon, how come there is a difference between MPG US and MPG UK?

Yea i read that too.. but why? Its like saying 1 hour in US is longer than 1 hour in UK... and i assume we are all using UK MPG here.. and nobody uses US MPG?

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Yea i read that too.. but why? Its like saying 1 hour in US is longer than 1 hour in UK... and i assume we are all using UK MPG here.. and nobody uses US MPG?

We're all using US gallons with the exception of maybe 2 ppl.
The empirical system is retarded. Why are 12 inches in a foot ? Makes no sense on many levels. Also US ton = 2000lbs and metric ton is 2200lbs.

how come people are gettin 30MPG US?? that is a lot more than 25....

littleazn248

Go Kart Champion
I ask the same question while my mpg is better than my last car my mpg sucks on this car. I average about 300-350miles per tank. I very often hear people claiming they are getting 400 miles to a tank. Even during a cruise someone claimed they were averaging 30mpg while I was only doing 25mpg and we were driving the same speed. In fact he was in front of me too. Only difference is he has stage 2.

I have stage 2.. MPG got worst... Which is not a big deal for the HP/TQ gain, but how come people are getting better MPG and much higher than mine.....

StigsFatAmericanCousin

Ready to race!
I'll only get like 330 miles on a tank. Maybe the ones in California are more efficient to meets the stringent laws?

I agree with the wacky empirical system. Pound (mass) and pound (force)... Who thought of that?

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
I have stage 2.. MPG got worst... Which is not a big deal for the HP/TQ gain, but how come people are getting better MPG and much higher than mine.....

Dude there are many variables.

You will have someone that gets 20 and you will get someone that gets 30.

http://www.fuelly.com/car/volkswagen/gti

Avg MPG

Cars

Fuel-Ups

Miles Tracked

Check this website for real numbers.

Not what one guy tells you at one time on the message board forum.

According to some I should be getting 50MPG with my TDI. I average 37-39

rawbdog

Go Kart Champion
Dude there are many variables.

You will have someone that gets 20 and you will get someone that gets 30.

http://www.fuelly.com/car/volkswagen/gti

Avg MPG

Cars

Fuel-Ups

Miles Tracked

Check this website for real numbers.

Not what one guy tells you at one time on the message board forum.

According to some I should be getting 50MPG with my TDI. I average 37-39

i used to average 40 on my TDI. then i chopped off the muffler ( it sounds the same so no worries just saved like 20 lbs.) and now im averaging 45+ . but i do mostly freeway driving so that helps.

electricalBear

Are you manual or DSG? I'm Stage 1, and for the last 1.5 years I'm averaging 8.4 L/100km (mostly city). To achieve this, I've gotten into a habit of going into 5th whenever I'm crusing at 70km/h or more, this will make a huge difference. That being said, if most of your driving is stop and go, you won't get much better than what you've already seen.

dbizzle22

Go Kart Champion
Its all about what kind of drive the people are going on.

If I cruise the entire tank with 90% freeway or country side roads at 60-70mph, sure I'll hit 30 mpg or more. If I'm driving around a major city, hopping on a freeway for 20 miles, then back to city driving it'll be the average of 25 or worse.

Manual GTI. 70km/hr in 5th? 70km/hr I am in 6th! Me trying my best to increase MPG meaning I drive extremely conservative. I even reset the counter on the highway so i dont get the low MPG due to warming up the car. The best I can get it up to is 8.9L/100Km (on the highway). I am getting like 10.5-12 L/100Km on city road...