GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MQB Downpipe Install...Not as difficult as you think!

zcspec

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MQB S3
It's been a while since I installed a DP on the MQB chassis, but had the chance to revert back a client's car today. Unfortunately, I was too lazy to make a DIY video and add it to my YT page. My thouhts are clear so I'd like to share with you guys some tips:

- performed on a QuickJack with no issues, jackstands will be tough due to the length of the OEM DP, but, it's doable
- DIY-ers forget about the 2-13mm bolts which hold the DP to the block
- the 2 bolts which hold the heat shield on the right axle, it is best to access it with the right wheel off
- 3 bolts which secure the driveshaft, use an impact wrench to quickly torque it off
- once the v-band clamp is off and you start to remove the OEM DP, take your time and rotate it counterclockwise/back/forth while you're pulling it down
- make sure to push the driveshaft over to the left as much as you can
- some non-negotiable tools (12pt socket, triple square, assortment of socket extension, ball end allens, O2 removal socket)
- I may be missing other tips, but this should set you in the right direction

You can do this yourself, but take your time. Expect to spend about 3-4 hours, the worst is removing the OEM DP from underneath.

Attachments

• 20191207_160113.jpg
    20191207_160113.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 287
  • 20191207_160050.jpg
    20191207_160050.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 280

DaRock1459

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 VW Golf R
Thanks for the notes. I plan to install one in a few weeks. How much vertical clearance does the quickjack give you?

zcspec

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MQB S3
The QuickJack will give you about 22" of clearance. Unless your 6'5: 350lbs, that's plenty of space underneath.