GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My 4d CW 6Spd build

skotcoop

Ready to race!
I thought I'd make this post to help myself keep track of my upgrades. I bought the car on 04/18/15 from University VW in Seattle WA with just under 9000 miles on it. It was a CPO so I was a little reluctant to do anything major to it. But since I test drove a modded Golf R and many BMW's prior to buying this I knew I wanted to make it faster. Listed below are my upgrades that I hope to keep adding to. In order of purchase.

Updated
Window tint all around installed shortly after purchase by dealer
Smoked side markers 06/04/15 $50 (ECS tuning)
P3Cars Red and white vent gauge 06/08/15 $476 (ECS tuning) SOLD
APR stage I carbonio intake 06/23/15 $345 (APtuning.com)SOLD
APR stage I tune w/4 modes 06/30/15 $655 (Achtuning Redmond, WA)
APR stage 2 tune and Downpipe (Achtuning)
Neuspeed discharge and charge pipe (moddedeuros.com) Gold wrapped
New windshield 07/15/15 $390 (safelite) Has gray shade at the top.
Unitronic CAI Gold wrapped
Heated blue tint blind spot mirrors 08/20/15 (ECS tuning)
Mirror caps 08/20/15 (ECS tuning) never ordering again.
GFB DV+ 08/20/15 (amazon.com) $125 Fixed the whine under boost
Rear gloss black VW badge 09/02/15 $40 (okixtreme.com)
42 DD 10mm & 15mm wheel spacers 10/16/15 $190 w/bolts(42DD website)RE-installed
Candy white rear badge inlay 10/20/15 $10 (kliimotorwerkes.com)
PolarFIS installed 07/2016
Grille including GTI and VW emblem, and mirror caps painted gloss black
Lower grille surround painted candy white

I added the price for reference in case you find a better deal. The car now has 17500 miles on it. The only issue I've had is the water pump needing replacing as it was leaking. Other small issues the dealer took care of at no charge was a repair/repaint of the front bumper caused by previous owner scraping a curb or something. Rear vent adjustment tabs were broken off and fixed after the tint people somehow broke them.

UPDATE 12/30/15

Recently installed:
BFI stage 3 clutch kit installed by Achtuning
Tyrolsport front/rear(rear not installed yet) deadset kit and shift bracket bushings.
034 engine and subframe mounts(only 1 puck) street density
H&R Front sway bar 26mm
Wavetrac LSD
Diesel geeks short shift http://www.dieselgeek.com/6_Speed_VW_Short_Shifter_p/ss-sigma6.htm
Front LCA rear bushings
RACESENG Slammer shift knob
Fluidampr Crank pulley

Update 6/1/16

Installed all new front end bulbs:
H15's and amber LED turn signals from DeAutoKey.
http://deautokey.com/product/group-...free-fits-mk6-7-gti-golf-mk6-jetta-sportwagen
http://deautokey.com/product/golf-gti-mk6-turn-signals-error-free-osram-h16
Sylvania silverstar ultra H7 https://www.ecstuning.com/ES2221185/
W5W blue wedge bulb city/driving lights https://www.ecstuning.com/ES466718/
Hoen 9006 55w http://www.hoen-usa.com/fog.htm

Pros: Much better looking than stock all the way around on and off. Fogs are much brighter and whiter. LED turn signals are obviously much brighter. Low beams are brighter and more concentrated. DRL's look cooler as do the driving/city lights wedge bulb but these are subtle.

Cons: The H15 high beams are terrible in terms of brightness. Almost useless probably because they're quite blue. And the sylvania h7's are a little bit more yellow than I was hoping.

However, up next is probably:
Intercooler
Stage 2 with APR dp
Coilovers or springs. Haven't decided yet.

Dreams for the future:
19" wheels
K04
Brake upgrades
Rear sway bar
Sway bar end links
Catback

Pictures to come. :yikes:

Last edited:

ibra8

Ready to race!
Waiting pictures. Nice build man. I bought my downpipe from Seattle when I bought my car. The prices are more expensive here in Oregon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skotcoop

Ready to race!
Just left the dealership

Taken today. 10/20/15

Last edited:

ibra8

Ready to race!
No approval needed. Try uploading them from your phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skotcoop

Ready to race!
42DD 15mm & 10mm spacers installed. These things are gorgeous

Rear 15mm

Front.

I used 40mm bolts for the front and 45mm for the rear.

skotcoop

Ready to race!
Doing more work on the grille. This time cleaner and hopefully comes out looking better.
The painful process
After. Still waiting to purchase another GTI badge since mine was broken. I think they're like $50 bucks though and I will more than likely also paint black.

skotcoop

Ready to race!
Heres a few pictures of my install of tyrolsport shift bracket bushings and CTS intake. I'm really bad at capturing the whole process because I just like to get it done..
Here's where the new bushings replace the factory squish. The bolts are lose. Not too bad to get to especially when replacing the intake like I was. Much easier when the batter and battery tray are removed.

New bushings. Nice solid pieces.

I noticed a slight increase in rigidity when moving the shifter around but I think this install is worth it to do yourself just for the experience.

And heres the finished intake.

I'm fairly disappointed in the fit with this intake but it was sort of expected given the price. And the sound wasn't what I thought it was going to be. Its quieter than my APR surprisingly.
Complaints:

Notice at the top, the rubber sleeve starts to bend around the left side of the tube. I believe this intake was built larger than it should be and I think the rubber sleeves are a bit long. I would have trimmed 1/4" on each side of every one of them if I had the means. Also the secondary tube comes up out of the turbo so high that its nearly touching the firewall. That could also probably be fixed by cutting the rubber sleeve. I'm a little worried about leaks considering how all this went together. It was getting dark or I would have taken better pictures. I'll do some more adjusting and take more later on. I also installed the ECS secondary breather filter bracket. That was kinda cool and not bad for $21. Much better than a ziptie. I'll get pictures of that too. If you buy one and find yourself kicking your cat trying to get the rubber grommet in the bracket try a little left over engine oil from inside the intake you just removed and insert the larger side first.

skotcoop

Ready to race!
So for the last two days, yesterday and the day before, my car has been under the knife so to speak. After learning several months ago that I needed a new clutch not long after having stage 1 tune, intake and turbo outlet pipe, it was time to do some research. My first stop was the shop that did my APR stage 1 tune to get a ballpark figure for parts and labor. After talking to Kelly at Achtuning in Redmond, WA, he recommended doing additional important upgrades that can easily be done during a clutch install. Such as engine/subframe mounts, FSB, subframe lock, LSD, and a short shift kit. To the internet I went. For the following 3 months I spent my days scouring the internet for reviews and sales. I ended up with a list of parts from many different websites which include: 034 motorsport street density engine and subframe mounts, diesel geeks short shift kit, BFI stage 3 clutch (competition clutch), fluidampr crank pulley in order to help with expected clutch chatter, tyrolsport front and rear deadset subframe kit(rear to be installed later), tyrolsport shift bracket bushings, LCA bushings, H&R 26mm FSB, and Wavetracs LSD. The FSB, LSD and LCA bushings were purchased at the shop during the install so those were a no brainer.
Needless to say having all these parts installed at the same time will take some getting used to.
Initial thoughts after 30 miles:
-Clutch pedal feels nearly stock surprisingly. However the chatter is quite noisy at the moment and I'm hoping it subsides a little after the break in.
-Shifting feels amazing. So tight and clean and solid. Dieselgeeks is highly recommended. :thumbup:
-NVH isn't too bad, however I think it'll improve as things settle. Its hard to tell what is making the majority of the noise right now. The vibes are very liveable right now and will only get better from what I've heard.
-Handling feels great. I'm still running stock suspension and wheels and tires and I haven't been able to get on the throttle just yet due to clutch break in but the car feels stiffer, more planted and more eager to dive into corners it gets chucked into. There is virtually no longer any creak in the cabin when going over any uneven surface like a driveway or speed bump which is very nice.

Subframe torn apart with new FSB.

Subframe mount that needed some shaving in order to fit. I ended up only going with the lower one for now as recommended.

This work of art wavetrac makes here in the USA. Can't wait to see this thing in action after I break in the clutch.

And the new stage 3 clutch from BFI installed.

I'm really kicking myself for not doing a better job and taking pictures of all my parts before having them installed. I'll upload more after I get a chance now that they are on the car.

TIPS:
-Wait for sales. I easily saved several $100 during the black friday/cyber monday sales.
-If you aren't doing the work yourself because you're limited on time and tools, take it to a good shop that knows what they're doing. I was happy to listen to recommendations from Kelly at Achtuning who drives the same car as I do and has had the same or similar parts installed. Good workmanship goes a long way.
-Do research. I don't know how many of HYDE's threads I've subscribed to but his reviews are very helpful and I will continue to use his and others' reviews.
-Have fun and help others. I've been very grateful for the this community since joining in May after buying my first and certainly not my last VW. There's a lot of knowledge and respect here. Thanks to those people who make it what it is because these cars are a blast to drive. :thumbup:

AdamDrives

Looks good man, wondering if the spacers make visual difference when looking at the side profile. They looked good from the picks you put up tho.

Gino

Ready to race!
After I have seen you post about the bundle of mods you did while doing your clutch I have since wondered what I should do to my car. I pieced together the entire RSR clutch kit. My mods are BB TBE, APR Intake, Uni Stage 2, and soon this RSR Clutch. IDK WHY! But the mod that sticks out the most is the Wavetrac LSD. I can't help but think I may benefit from it when I literally have not focused on any other aspects of my car that don't pertain to power. Oh yea and I have recently installed AS3's. How are you liking your car since the big jump?

skotcoop

Ready to race!
After I have seen you post about the bundle of mods you did while doing your clutch I have since wondered what I should do to my car. I pieced together the entire RSR clutch kit. My mods are BB TBE, APR Intake, Uni Stage 2, and soon this RSR Clutch. IDK WHY! But the mod that sticks out the most is the Wavetrac LSD. I can't help but think I may benefit from it when I literally have not focused on any other aspects of my car that don't pertain to power. Oh yea and I have recently installed AS3's. How are you liking your car since the big jump?

I wrote an update last week. :)

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100017