GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My first ever GTI. New to VW cars.

Agent_G_Zero

Whats up everyone. I am a proud new owner of a 2013 GTI. I almost didn't buy this car, but after a few weeks I'm glad I did. The car was repossessed and I purchased it once the lean got removed, so I know very little about the car. I had to get new keys programmed for the car since it only came with the "valet key". The car has an ECS cold air intake and the guy I purchased it from said it had an aftermarket turbo and down-pipe. How should I go about verify these mods, I want to learn as much as I can about the car. I think it also has coilovers as well. One of the biggest reasons I purchased the car was the interior it was so clean for a 2013 and it has the plaid seats which look so dope!

I need some advice on 2 mods I want to do. The 1st mod I want is a front mount intercooler partially because I live in Texas and its 2000 degrees here, but mostly for the really cool look an intercooler gives me! The 2nd mod I'd like is a blowoff value to give me that beautiful turbo sound. This is my first turbo car and I want that sound!

Any advice you experts can give a new VW owner would be much appreciated. I'm very excited to get more invloved and learn about the MK6 culture.

I have included some photos of the car when I got it

Front.JPGBack.JPGInterior.JPGEngine.JPG

tdream1

Autocross Newbie
Get it up on a lift and see if you're able to check the turbo make/model. It's most likely some iteration of a K04, which is a very popular upgrade that doesn't break the bank.

Stay away from a blowoff valve (BOV). These cars use a recirculating diverter valve (DV). Some people try spacers for more noise, but the car usually runs like shit and will throw related codes. The ECS intake alone should allow you to hear some of the 'cool' turbo noises. If you want louder, you can always change out the intake for an open intake that will certainly make things louder.

Enjoy the car and welcome to the club!

Agent_G_Zero

So I took off the carbon fiber top on the CAI to expose the filter and that has made a huge difference in sound. I can hear the turbo a lot more now! I will get under the car this weekend and see what I can find.

tdream1

Autocross Newbie
Theres a high probability that it has an aftermarket IC if it has an upgraded turbski... looks good
That is a possibility to have an upgraded one in the stock location. I think the OP likes the look of a true FMIC.

tdream1

Autocross Newbie
Yeah I like the look of a FMIC. Is there a cheap option out there for a FMIC?
They certainly look cool (no pun intended). I've never been one to put anything 'cheap' on my cars. I would rather spend money up front and not deal with fitment and build quality issues. I've never looked into an FMIC as I prefer a stealthier build. If I were to do a FMIC, I'd go with something like this. I know it's on the more expensive side, but they make quality products.

https://neuspeed.com/products/neuspeed-front-mount-intercooler481095

Agent_G_Zero

That's a good looking IC. 🤑 I'm going to look on the used parts market and see if I can find a FMIC for a good price. I've read somewhere that the Audi A3 IF would fit?

tdream1

Autocross Newbie
That's a good looking IC. 🤑 I'm going to look on the used parts market and see if I can find a FMIC for a good price. I've read somewhere that the Audi A3 IF would fit?
I think the A3 IC is around the same exact size as the one used in the MK6 GTI. Some people grab a used Audi S3 intercooler as it’s a little larger. However, the ones used in both those cars are in the same location behind the radiator. The link I provided is a true FMIC.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Welcome car looks great. Yes check to see what the car already has. Call or email tuners to see if your VIN is in their system (APR, Unitronic, IE, Revo).

If your gonna go through the trouble of upgrading the IC you might as well put in one that has a more significant upgrade over stock then an A3 one.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
I think most peoples advice is to stay away from BOVs on these engines with oem turbos. They use a DV(diverter valve) which redirects air between shifts /lift off back into the turbo instead of venting it to decrease turbo lag. They are designed to run like this. You should get plenty of cool turbo noises with the intake and the DV anyway. Also DO NOT put one of those DV spacers in.

Agent_G_Zero

Thanks for all the advice. We recently have gotten some cooler weather here in Texas, so I have been able to roll down the windows and turn the AC off. I can definitely hear the turbo now! I love it! I just drive around with the radio off and listen to the whistle and sneeze! :love:

Great advice on calling the tuners @BudgetPhoenix