GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My New Golf is Infested with Spiders!

tardman91

Ready to race!
Here's a new one for you, as it was for the dealership too. I bought my car a little over a week ago, and one day I took it to the self car wash just to rinse it off because it was dusty. I noticed the water glistening on the something near the rear tire. It was a spider web. I didn't think much of it.
Over the next few days I noticed some more, so I took a look under the rear wheels and saw a lot of webs/dirt. I figured, ok, the car sat for a while at another dealership before I took delivery of it, and naturally some bugs hung out under there, so I hosed it all off and sprayed some bug killer in the wheel wells and thought I was done. Nope.
A couple days later I came out to the garage and saw a whole bunch of webs, from the wheels to the floor, to my workbench, etc. I killed 3 pretty big, red, orange, and brown spiders. I looked under the car and it was COVERED with webs. The rear suspension, muffler, springs, exhaust, everything.
So I called up the dealership and, and after their initial puzzlement, and a call back to me a little later, they said bring it in.
So they put it up on the lift, took the wheels off, sent one of the guys to go get spider killer, sprayed the shit out of the undercarriage, let it sit for a few hours, and then pressure washed the whole thing.
They assume the spiders set up shop there while it was at a dealership about 60 miles away. It was a dealer transfer when I bought it.
It's been 2 days since I got it back and I haven't seen a web yet, so hopefully it's taken care of. I just wanted to share this odd story with you guys, and say that I was extremely happy with the dealership's response to such an odd issue.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
This actually happened not too long ago to another member. He said he practically bug bomb the shit of of his vehicle and never had a problem since.

Personally, I would burn the vehicle, claim insurance and buy a new one! Spiders arent my thing. :thumbsup:

tardman91

Ready to race!
I'm not really the squeamish type, but I sure am glad that they didn't get inside. I would have totally flipped out if that happened. I thought it was odd how they were just concentrated around the rear end of the car, mainly the rear suspension and muffler. Nothing at all up towards the front.

tardman91

Ready to race!
If you have a garage it might not be a bad idea to actually bug bomb the thing in the garage.....

I thought about that, but my AC unit is in the garage, and that could make the whole house stinky. My wife is really sensitive to that stuff. I'm keeping an eye on things, and so far I haven't noticed any additional spider activity in the garage.

Krazy_Z

Go Kart Champion
Damn I have heard of one living in the door mirror but never a family living in the back half of a car this is nuts. glad you got it taken care of dude.

FinalOne

Ready to race!
i noticed (killed) some spiders in mine too. I didnt notices any big spider webs in my car, even though i believe i can find some if i search for them.
i was wondering about this too, what is it with the spiders and the GTI's?
is there something attracting them in our cars?

and to take it a step further... if the spiders are getting attracted by GTI's, then why did i get so strongly attracted by this car?
im i some sort of spiderman? :)

tardman91

Ready to race!
I don't know what it is with spiders. I do remember maybe a few months back seeing a news story about something to do with spiders and infestations that had something to do with the fuel systems of some Mazda 6's. I think there might have even been a recall about it. Everyone I tell about it is like "WTF?"

Randum

Go Kart Champion
This thread is hilarious because the first week I had mine - no joke, (I have a picture somewhere I have to find) this GIANT furry spider made a web across my back passenger seat and driver seat. I assumed it was because my garage was beneath a garden.

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
I do notice spider web sometimes run from mirror to windows or just across the wind screen on the outside, never that many though. I do live somewhat in a wooded area and in my apartment there are quite a bit of spiders...

Last week when I did the pad swap I also notice some small spider web in the ribbing of the front upright/knuckle.

TurtleJames

Go Kart Champion
The one and only time I ever had a problem with my last car (Acura TL) there were spiderwebs clogging my EVAP valve. Tech said it was a common issue.

Can you imagine a horde of spiders coming through the vents as you drive?

GTA_MK6

Ready to race!
I had this problem last summer right when i got it... Do you park under a tree at night? Apparently that was the issue so when I parked on the otherside of the driveway the infestation went away lol

johnny_p

Go Kart Champion
lol at this