GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

n00b question: sub/amp recommendations

lakefront

Getting back into the VW world with a 2010 GTi. Previous owner had an aftermarket system installed, but took the sub with him. So, now I have:
  • Aftermarket head unit: Alpine iLX-207
  • 5 channel amp: JVC DRVN 1000W
  • Aftermarket speakers: Alpine Type S 6.5 components (front), Alpine Type S 6.5 coax (rear)

Since I have to replace the sub anyways, figured I'd address all of my system goals. I have two very rambunctious pups. With the amp mounted to the rear seat back, I'm sure they'll end up destroying it. So I'd like to relocate the amp and find a home for a sub in a very stealthy way. Enter Uber Stealth Audio for a custom under floor sub box/amp rack.

My question is, what 5 amp would you recommend? If my current amp isn't sufficient. Second, what shallow mount 8" sub would you recommend?

Some context on me. I've never had a custom system in my vehicles. I've always been fine with the OEM systems, preferring to concentrate on performance and not take the weight penalty. Since I've inherited this system, I thought I'd finish it. But I have little priority on SQ, clearly. I'm just trying to put something together with decent quality that doesn't break the bank.

Side note, in lieu of a 5 channel amp, I've read I could get a 3 (or 4) channel amp to power the front speaker and sub. While using the head unit to power the rear speakers. Is that a viable/reasonable option?

Last edited:

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
question i have is this... With your current set-up what do you find is lacking? Is the bass what you're after? Reason i ask is if there is concern about the dogs wouldn't that additional noise mess with their already sensitive ears?

I'm still rockin OEM head/stock speakers albeit with the DynAudio powered.... i have had my bazooza tube/Alpine mono amp / L2i sitting there for years now and haven't felt i needed the additional bass because I'd rather hear the stock exhaust and engine noise. Not to mention when i'm really driving it i turn off the music any way.

I listen to a variety of music ( no metal or punk sorry) and i can always find the right settins on OEM dials to satisfy the need. But that's me.

wish i could offer some suggestions to help you out.

I did have the stealth set up... Pioneer shallow mount speaker.. but to me it was too heavy so I sold it.

gijoewoz

Go Kart Champion
That amp is perfectly acceptable, and will fit nicely under either front seat. Regarding the sub, do you have a budget? Custom fiberglass works well in the rear wheel wells, but can get expensive. I don't have direct experience with the Uber stealth box, but if it's affordable, it could save a ton of effort. Personally, I won't sacrifice my spare tire, despite the high level of audio builds I do, but if you want to ditch the spare tire you can fit a decent sized enclosure under the floor, and probably port it, if you are clever, or hire a good installer.

I don't see the need to run multiple amps, a good 5 channel will be plenty, take up less space, and be easier to wire. I don't run rear speakers (they ruin staging), but you can either run the rears off of the amp, or head unit. They don't need to be very loud compared to the front, so they don't need much power. I would probably run the 5 channel, bridged to the front speakers, and run the rears off of the head unit.