GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New Clutch Option: KMD Tuning FSI/TSI Clutch Kit

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
I can't believe I'm saying this but there is a slight chance I may be removing my brand new, freshly installed custom clutch (Audi TT-RS PP/Sachs DMFW/TDI clutch disc) and consider a new option after some more feedback. The new Sachs DMFW I got direct from Audi has a rotational vibration at 1,500 rpm whether in neutral or in gear. At this point I have to pay for another clutch install for another DMFW (will warranty the original one through Audi) but I’m also considering a new kit designed to address the mismatched sizing (or height) of the friction material on the TDI clutch disc vs. the sizing (or height) of the Audi TT-RS pressure plate surface in addition to the thinner TDI clutch disc material possibly leading to a shorter overall lifespan of the clutch. I’m still in the air on what to do but it would be cool to do a direct comparison.

Being that this new clutch option was just finalized this week, I was able to squeeze this out of KMD Tuning after a few emails and stopping by their shop in person. I’ve summarized the specs for the “KMD Tuning FSI/TSI Clutch Kit” below. As of now they are not listed on their website yet but the kits are effectively available for sale.

Preliminary KMD Tuning FSI/TSI Clutch Kit Details:
-Custom full ceramic clutch disc maintains the OEM factory thickness which is thicker (potentially longer life) than the TDI clutch disc used in some of the current clutch kits options
-Custom full ceramic clutch disc has 8 pads on each side and has the proper friction material height to match the height of the Audi TT-RS pressure plate surface so there is no overhang like the TDI clutch disc used in some of the current clutch kits options (TDI clutch disc diameter is slightly larger than the Audi TT-RS pressure plate diameter)
-Audi TT-RS pressure plate modified to work with the OEM factory thickness of the custom full ceramic clutch disc as standard aftermarket drop in discs will not work with the OEM thickness of the Audi TT-RS pressure plate
-Includes single piece throw out bearing (except for MK7 which uses different version) / slave cylinder with TOB and PP bolts
-Optional Dual Mass Flywheel available = $585.99
-Optional Clutch Install Kit available (2 axle bolts, 6 transmission mount bolts, 3 torque arm bolts, 6 ball joint/control arm bolts) = $49.99

Application Guide:
MK5 FSI / TSI
MK6 TSI
Beetle TSI
CC TSI
MK6 Golf R TFSI
MK7 TSI Gen 3

As we know, the custom clutch kit some people have been piecing together uses the Audi TT-RS pressure plate with the OEM factory thickness which requires a thinner TDI clutch disc. The concern may be the life of this thinner TDI clutch disc. With the “KMD Tuning FSI/TSI Clutch Kit” they maintain the OEM factory thickness with their full ceramic clutch disc and the Audi TT-RS pressure plate is modified to accept the OEM factory thickness of the full ceramic clutch disc. To understand the mismatched sizing (or height) of the friction material on the TDI clutch disc vs. the sizing (or height) of the Audi TT-RS pressure plate surface, I was able to get measurements of the various components and provide some photos.

Represents OEM TDI/GTI/Golf R Clutch Disc Friction Material Size (or height):

Audi TT-RS Pressure Plate Surface:

Custom Full Ceramic Clutch Disc Friction Material Size (or height):

KMD Tuning FSI/TSI Clutch Kit: $1,149.99

Last edited:

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
ah I missed that my apologies. Good luck and keep us updated!

Ha, no problem, sucks, I have to look at the flywheel for the rotational vibration.... just had this put in and now I have to pay for another clutch job. That's why I did my due diligence on this KMD kit just like I did for the other kit.

mrhappy

Passed Driver's Ed
And where is that kit offered? On the web i mean, I dont see it on their website...

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
Being that this new clutch option was just finalized this week, I was able to squeeze this out of KMD Tuning after a few emails and stopping by their shop in person. I’ve summarized the specs for the “KMD Tuning FSI/TSI Clutch Kit” below. As of now they are not listed on their website yet but the kits are effectively available for sale.

Quoting my first post.

SHOMI

Ready to race!
Sub'd. Thanks Ryan!

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
We have not yet posted this to the site as of yet.
updates are soon to come!

STAY TUNED!

Looking forward to more updates!

Sub'd. Thanks Ryan!

You're welcome, I just summarized my findings after talking with KMD about the custom clutch kit and a possible better solution. Thanks to KMD for putting this together!

Project2010GTI

Ready to race!
Any idea as to what amount of tq this will handle?

K04 - APR IC & INTAKE - GSP DP - NEUSPEED TOP - DG SIGMA 6 - H&R SS - UB and XB - 325whp

rupertpupkin

Ready to race!
Wouldn't VW/audi cover the unbalanced part under warranty if you bought it new and it is clearly faulty?

I have the HSTuning RSR kit they put together and it has been amazing. No issues whatsoever.

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
Any idea as to what amount of tq this will handle?

K04 - APR IC & INTAKE - GSP DP - NEUSPEED TOP - DG SIGMA 6 - H&R SS - UB and XB - 325whp

I've been told 550TQ

Wouldn't VW cover the unbalanced part under warranty if you bought it new and it is clearly faulty?

I have the HSTuning RSR kit they put together and it has been amazing. No issues whatsoever.

Quoting my first post.

At this point I have to pay for another clutch install for another DMFW (will warranty the original one through Audi)

I sourced the DMFW directly from a contact at Audi, I will work with him to process the warranty for a new DMFW.

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
Okay so VW/Audi will reimburse for the part cost but not the labor. I get it.

Correct, I'll most likely have to buy a new one, pay to install and and return the defective DMFW for a reimbursement. I can try to go after labor but I doubt it. Sucks. Pay to play.