GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New comer

Shini

Go Kart Champion
Hey all, looking at purchasing a '12 here in the near future (hopefully this weekend). Got my eyes set on a Candy white one at a local dealer. Just wanted to stop by and ask if there is a FAQ on the forum I can read over, or just some general things a new owner should know about the vehicle, things to look out for, etc..

It's an auto, and like my current car (RX-8) is looks like you can go into a manumatic type mode. I haven't done a whole lot of searching on the net about the transmission, but with how fast it went through gears I'm assuming its an A6 yeah?

One thing I don't know a lot about (and the salesman didn't either /facepalm) was DSG, after lurking here a few days I found out it means Direct Shift Gearbox, is that a manual tranny thing or auto aswell?

Should I hold out and wait for a manual, or is the auto fairly similar to the manual? Should be more similar than M6 to A4 is, but I'm just curious. The are I live in is pretty small and based on google searches/auto trader, the closest other dealer is 300+ miles away, and they don't have any Manuals on the lot :(

Anyway, feel free to call me a retard and to search if you need to, I tried a little bit but not as extensive as I normally do..D'oh! Otherwise, thanks in advanced for all the help!

emk6

Ready to race!
Can't go wrong with either trans. Have you test driven both? If not I suggest you do just so you can get a better feel for the DSG.

Ultimately it's up to you and whatever we say on the board is personnel preference.

I personally own a DSG and I love it.

To get a better understanding of DSG, I would suggest reading this post from vwvortex.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?3289959

LightningRhod

Go Kart Champion
DSG is an automated-manual, dual-clutch transmission. One clutch is used to engage the gear your in, and the second clutch is ready for the next gear change. It's essentially a manual gear box where the computer controls the clutch and gear engagement. Since gear changes are lightning quick, you don't get any boost loss in between shifts. Completely different from your normal CVT auto transmissions.

Personally, I was set on getting manual, bet test drove the DSG and was amazed at how it felt. Feels like somebody is driving stick shift for you, but does it smooth and perfect every time.

I advise you test drive both and see which one you prefer.

NTT5418

Ready to race!
Like everyone else said, drive both and get the one YOU like. A lot of people come here to have someone tell them what to get. Wait for the manual to show up, and make your decision.
I personally loved the DSG for its perfect shifts, but I wanted the interaction of the manual.

Shini

Go Kart Champion
Ahhh I see...This is something I believe on saw 5 years ago or so on a Top Gear episode. That link says "It delivers more power and better control than a traditional automatic transmission and faster performance than a manual transmission." which is something Jeremy was skeptical about and as usual complained there wasn't a manual available! :D

Well now that all makes sense. Looks like DSG is the way I have to go, no local dealer has a manual GTI available, and I'm not willing to drive 300+ miles away just to test drive a manual! My driving history with cars have all been sports cars and all A4 auto's. I've learned to live with it. I do know how to drive manual, but as far as perfering controling the gears over not, I'm not accustomed to doing it, so I don't think I'd long to have a manual, since I really don't know what I'm missing out on because my daily driver has never been manual.

The one I'm looking at is a "50-State with Convience and Sunroof", is 26,900 a good deal for that? Whats really weird is 26,900 is the listed price on the website, when I went in and tried to haggle some they wouldn't even budge, apparently the "savings" they've listed on the website is the best they can offer. I've seen a similar tactic in electronic stores where they make the MSRP whatever they want, discount off that price to give you the illusion of a good deal. Long story short, the 47" LED TV in my living room was $20 at best buy and I bought it from a "going out of business sale" from a local place. So I'm a little skeptical of not that actually being a "deal".

Here's a link to it on stealer...er I mean dealer site: http://www.genemesservw.com/details...nvience and Sunroof+WVWFV7AJ4CW254629+Lubbock

Edit: Thanks for the quick replies and good advice by the way! This community seems to be a very good one based off what I've read, looks like it will be an easy transition from rx8club to this!

Last edited:

Shini

Go Kart Champion
Yep, welcome to the forums. Good community here :).

The deal they're offering you doesn't sound too bad since a fully loaded GTI (Autobahn) will cost you around $31k-$32k MSRP. I cross referenced the Edmunds website and TrueCar.com to zero in on what price would be decent.

Thanks for the info! Guess they're not as cut-throat as I thought they were. I'll keep you guys posted on how things go! :D

Now all lets left is to determine if I should finance or lease...to mod or not to mod...:23:

emk6

Ready to race!
finance: you own at the end of the finance term.
drive as many miles as you want.

lease: you return the car at the end of the lease term.
limited to how many miles you can drive.

emk6

Ready to race!
^ I'm still bone stock! I visit the forum almost daily. Hard to fight the temptation though.

hpowders

Ready to race!
I got my base 2012 GTI with DSG, fresh off the boat 16 days ago (who's counting?) for $3000 under MSRP.

gfox33

Go Kart Champion
Personally, I was set on getting manual, bet test drove the DSG and was amazed at how it felt. Feels like somebody is driving stick shift for you, but does it smooth and perfect every time.

I advise you test drive both and see which one you prefer.

I had the same experience. I completely disregarded all DSG cars when I was looking around but eventually decided to test drive one just for the hell of it. It can get a little boring but then I jump on some back road twisties and shift with the paddles and I remember why I like my DSG so much.