GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

new recall and a BMW 328i

07CARRERA

Ready to race!
I took my GTI in today for the "rear wiper washer fix" and they told me there is a recall on my car requiring a software update. He asked me if I had APR installed since it would wipe it out when doing the update. Not sure what the update is for but I will find out and pass it along on this thread once I get my car back tomorrow.

They gave me a BMW 328i to drive in the meantime and my initial impressions are that it is a solid well handling car and can see why it almost always wins all comparison tests. Minuses are the steering is much heavier than the GTI and the black interior is very spartan for a $36,000 car. Not horrible but not even in the GTI's league. Interior noise is a little more than in the GTI at highway speeds as well. Guess you have to spend another $10,000 to get nicer interior touches but even then they still look a little drab. Meanwhile, I will just load up on miles in the Bimmer. LOL!!

MSchott

Go Kart Newbie
I drive a 328i and you are right about the interior. It's functional and well designed but boring. I disagree with you on the steering. You get used to the steering on the BMW and the feedback though the wheel from the chassis is worth the effort. When I test drove a 2010 GTI I was surprised by the light steering.

Diego Armando

Go Kart Champion
Paging all the fanboys. Attention: Paging all BMW nut hangers.

07CARRERA

Ready to race!
I drive a 328i and you are right about the interior. It's functional and well designed but boring. I disagree with you on the steering. You get used to the steering on the BMW and the feedback though the wheel from the chassis is worth the effort. When I test drove a 2010 GTI I was surprised by the light steering.

After a few hours now I am getting used to the steering. Kinda like driving a truck all month then all of a sudden jumpin in a car. The 328i is a good riding car. I think if maybe the lighter wood was in the black interior as opposed to what's in there now that it would look a little nicer.

roastpuff

Go Kart Champion

If you think the GTI has light steering you should try the Audi A4... that thing was insanely light! :laugh:

MattTheCarNut

Ready to race!
I'm used to driving a variety of German autos at one time or another. For the first time since relinquishing the Boxster S and getting the GTI (three weeks old), I drove my friend's E90 328i. While I disliked the E90's interior even more since getting used to my GTI, I really noticed the superiority of the BMW's steering and throttle.

Yes, the BMW's steering is a lot heavier - most noticeable at low speeds - it's also quicker and more direct. I really, really like BMW's steering - well next to Porsche's. The throttle response in the E90 was also more direct. To not become overly annoyed with the GTI's throttle, I must use "S" mode or manual. "D" mode makes me want to scream. I'll be looking at mods to improve the throttle resposne, for sure. <---- Hello Tiguan pipe!

I'm not bashing or disappointed in the GTI as its price point is well below the 3er.

Cheers!

munkey

Ready to race!
I agree that I would rather have a BMW's steering heft and throttle response. If the GTI had those, and RWD, it would be the perfect car :)

MattTheCarNut

Ready to race!
I agree that I would rather have a BMW's steering heft and throttle response. If the GTI had those, and RWD, it would be the perfect car :)

So you want a 135i? LOL

Way more expensive, I know, I know....And the interior is nasty cheap.

jmblur1

Go Kart Champion
If you think the GTI has light steering you should try the Audi A4... that thing was insanely light! :laugh:

My b5 A4 was heavy - and it wasn't just a worn out steering rack, because I replaced that ($$$) and it was still heavy! At least as heavy as the GTI's, moreso when going slow.

My fiancee's old Acura TL had the lightest steering I've EVER seen in a car. You could maneuver, even at low speeds, with a pinky finger lightly resting on the outside of the wheel. It was scary how easy it was to turn the wheel, felt absolutely TERRIBLE - had no feedback at all.

snofrandy

Ready to race!
If you're talking about light steering, try driving the 2010+ Corollas. If u want lighter, try driving most American cars! Lack of steering response and very light steering. I remember testing a 335i early this year and it was heavier than the GTI, but still really nice. Ride is nice too stiff, but still comfortable even for Sport Package. Spartan interior. Can't afford one though and it doesn't feel "luxurious enough," but indeed Sporty. The GTI gave me the "luxury feel" with "Sporty." Good compromise.

If I really wanted Sport, i would have gone S2000. If I wanted luxury, I would have gone IS350 (AC Seats and Reverse Camera). GTI strikes a good balance.

Personal opinion.

roastpuff

Go Kart Champion
My b5 A4 was heavy - and it wasn't just a worn out steering rack, because I replaced that ($$$) and it was still heavy! At least as heavy as the GTI's, moreso when going slow.

My fiancee's old Acura TL had the lightest steering I've EVER seen in a car. You could maneuver, even at low speeds, with a pinky finger lightly resting on the outside of the wheel. It was scary how easy it was to turn the wheel, felt absolutely TERRIBLE - had no feedback at all.

The one I tried was a 2010 B8 A4. Almost domestic-car light! I don't remember the older Audis being that light of steering.

Yeah, the Honda/Toyota steering is mostly quite light as well.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
I would much rather have a GTI over a 328i - no question about it price wise, performance wise, etc..

Blindeye_03

Go Kart Newbie
I miss my 92 miata - now that was a nice steering car :). More like a go kart though because of the quick ratio and power steering.

My 03 civic si is another nice steering car, although the electric power steering is known to suck but thats usually only when you slam the car.

I agree on taking the GTI over the the 328, there really is nothing about the car that appeals to me.