GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

NEW today....2010 GTI.....my first German engineered car.

s2kguy

Ready to race!
My GTI has RUINED my driving pleasure in the wife's '09 Acura TSX. Curses! I used to enjoy driving her car for the comfort, solid feel, decent handling and steering feel it offered (as a respite from the S2000 I drove). But when I get in it now, the ride feels harsh, the steering is twitchy and loose off neutral, and it's noisier than the GTI. At least the stereo is still impressive. Won't be getting another Acura- the GTI provides so much better driving experience AND comfort. Maybe the new mid-size car being built in Tennessee will make a nice replacement for the TSX. Almost forgot how sensitive the throttle is on the TSX. Throttle tip in makes it very hard to make smooth launches.

JackReacher

Passed Driver's Ed
I have always had the opinion that the Japs steal from the Germans primarily, some from the Scandinavians. They make good copies. Notice how MBZ, BMW, VW, and Audi come out with something cool, then you see it next year on the Jap cars.

That is a blanket generalization that definitely doesn't hold true for all Japanese companies (plus the word Jap is offensive IMO). Honda was always one of the most innovative companies around in both road cars and racing. That innovation started to wane when Fukui took over in 2003-2204 which is why you see me here on my way to VW ownership.

JackReacher

Passed Driver's Ed
Was the technology cheaper and more adaptable because they stole it, and massed produced uber cheap due to no research dollars spent as well as time spent because of theft and reverese engineering the product, doesn't take as much brains to do that and it can be done quickly.

:thumbdown:

Ridiculous post, it is obvious you are extremely biased against the Asian manufacturers but you don't need to bring that xenophobic garbage here.

LittleJohny

Go Kart Champion
lol that's a little harsh. I thought it was a reasonable rebuttal.

Basil_Fawlty

Ready to race!
That is a blanket generalization that definitely doesn't hold true for all Japanese companies (plus the word Jap is offensive IMO). Honda was always one of the most innovative companies around in both road cars and racing. That innovation started to wane when Fukui took over in 2003-2204 which is why you see me here on my way to VW ownership.

I did not mean to use the word Jap to be offensive, I was wanting to type less. So now, watch it, post something that I can be thinned skinned about, and I'll be right there! :fighting0030:

Yes its blanket and general, I thought thats how I was presenting it. :iono:

Basil_Fawlty

Ready to race!
:thumbdown:

Ridiculous post, it is obvious you are extremely biased against the Asian manufacturers but you don't need to bring that xenophobic garbage here.

I bought and owned a '94 Honda Accord, two '98 Mazdas 323's, 2 Toyota Camry's ('98 and '02) and a '79 Datsun PU and an '89 Nissan PU??

So, please, humor me, carefully explain how I'm biased against Asian Automobiles.

:wosschilder980:

JackReacher

Passed Driver's Ed
I bought and owned a '94 Honda Accord, two '98 Mazdas 323's, 2 Toyota Camry's ('98 and '02) and a '79 Datsun PU and an '89 Nissan PU??

So, please, humor me, carefully explain how I'm biased against Asian Automobiles.

:wosschilder980:

Jap comment aside re-read this:

Was the technology cheaper and more adaptable because they stole it, and massed produced uber cheap due to no research dollars spent as well as time spent because of theft and reverese engineering the product, doesn't take as much brains to do that and it can be done quickly.

You drive a friggin' Volkswagen, not some exotic with cutting edge technology. Almost every "technology" on the GTI had already been used by a different manufacturer before it made it to VW, drop the elitist attitude. Dubbers have a bad reputation because of posts like this.

Hell, it is only recently that VW has begun to produce cars that are even remotely reliable (they are still far below average as a brand) and most of the European manufacturers are no better. What good is cutting edge technology if you can't make it work reliably?

Basil_Fawlty

Ready to race!
Jap comment aside re-read this:

You drive a friggin' Volkswagen, not some exotic with cutting edge technology. Almost every "technology" on the GTI had already been used by a different manufacturer before it made it to VW, drop the elitist attitude. Dubbers have a bad reputation because of posts like this.

Hell, it is only recently that VW has begun to produce cars that are even remotely reliable (they are still far below average as a brand) and most of the European manufacturers are no better. What good is cutting edge technology if you can't make it work reliably?

Just like a black person does not like the 'N' word, if they don't like it, and then stop using it so it won't keep getting spread around. And you, you are offended by the word Jap (which I used to type less), and here you are, again, using the word you claim to hate by mentioning is again.

Yes, I now drive a VW, and it does happen to be using some cutting edge technology. Is it a Lamborghini, Ferrari, Maserati, no. Do I feel like it is one and am proud of it, you bet. Now yes, the tech on my GTI came from other cars first, like Audi and Porsche I'm quite sure, um, owned, by... VW! (I forget the other car companies VW owns that don’t export to NA).

Now you call me an elitist. If I wanted to be an elitist, I'd change my name to Barak Hussein Obama. I'm no Elitist by a long shot. Not with cars, not with computers. I hear that crap all day at work. Mac vs PC, Teradata vs. DB2 or Netezza, Oracle vs MS-SQL Server, Mainframe vs Unix/Linux, Unix vs Linux, etc.... I like, love and use them all. Each one has a useful and purposely slots to fill; I don't choose sides or camps, so I guess that makes me homogeneous (Hey, I heard that!).

You have bad mouthed VW now (“...friggin' Volkswagen”), claiming they have mostly made crap. Then why are they the #1 auto maker in Europe? Is it because Europeans love crap? They have a good assortment to choose from there besides a "Friggin' Volkswagen". As I've stated in some other post, all the German car makers have highs and lows with quality, it’s the same for all car makers. Take for example, the latest disaster of Toyota. Volvo has had their bad days too, some say they still do. All car makers fall from grace from time to time.

I still stand by my original post that you have quoted; the JAPANESE have stolen heavily from a lot of other auto makers, most especially when they were in their start up years. Just because they can build a good car doesn't make it ok. Other car maker’s swipe ideas from others too and that is no secret, it has been my observation that the JAPAENESE do it more than anyone else. In fact, they even make their cars to look like high end German luxury cars, say a MBZ or BMW while car makers from S. Korea make theirs to look like JAPANESE cars, like a Hondas.

When I say stolen, I'm not saying borrow technology (or share within various divisions) and perhaps even pay a royalty for its use or design like VW, Audi and Porsche do among themselves, just as one branch in TI has to pay another branch in IT to use their patented process if they use it.

One thing the JAPANANSE do better than most others is the fact that they have their finger on the pulse of the American taste better than anyone else, even American car makers (by far), and that is one reason they have done so well at selling a lot of cars, plus their build quality.

scottw86

Passed Driver's Ed
This thread used to be about a guy and his new car :).

Anyways, I thought it was funny that your location was Rochester, but then I saw that this was going to be a summer car for you. After having spent a few years up there, I definitely would stick to the SUV in the winter. :lol: