GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

NEW WHEELS for my mk6 please help

Barreto91

I guys, I’m looking but new wheels 18” for my baby so my question is

18x8.5 offset 43mm it’s good? or

What offset do you recommend so that it does not stick or come out of the dust guard. Thanks

clownish

just clowning around
That sizing is totally normal and you should end up flush or may need a little camber in your alignment. Perfect offset depends on your car height.... Your tire choice will affect fitment also

Are you stock?
Are you going to be lowered?
What tires are you planning on running?
What is your intended function?

Barreto91

Thanks, I plan to lower it from 1 to 1.5 inch, I would like to use a 225/45/18 rubber is what I plan ... I would not want to have to adjust the alignment ...

zrickety

The Fixer
Any lowering will change the alignment. I would like 235 tires myself, but you should be fine with the 225.

drval85

Go Kart Newbie
235 will probably rub without rolled fenders, or will require front camber plates depending on height. 225 should be fine. You can search for VMR wheel images on a GTI. They’re usually 18x8.5 et45, so you’d stick out 2mm more than what you find. Some are et35 though, so make sure you’re comparing the right ones.

Mk6Autobahn

Autocross Champion
OP, Here’s some food for thought: I’m on oem suspension and just got an oem alignment after some suspension work.

18x8 ET35, Front tires stick out about half an inch from my fenders, rears are flush. I just barely rub on hard high speed dips.

Tires are 225/40zr18 Michelin PS A/S 3+. The cushier Falkens I have on the back look wider for a 225 tire, haven’t measured them.

If you lower you’ll need an alignment and most likely more camber. Check out the fender screw mod too, if you end up rubbing.

Plug this into an online wheel offset calculator to compare.

clownish

just clowning around
So obviously its a bit of a puzzle. If you're lowered, highly recommend running some negative camber or you'll most likely end up hitting your fenders. I've run anywhere from -0.5 to -2.5 with pretty average offsets. I have had several suspension set ups - DG springs on OEM struts and a few different coiler set ups set at different heights. My fenders were completely rolled out - there is no lip on the inside and the mounting tabs are all shaved. We kept the OEM body line and it looks almost OEM but its definitely pulled and rolled + repainted over the years.

I got curious myself so I rolled through some of my own wheel set ups. Image dumps ahead.

OEM wheels with snow tires - so 18x7.5 et51 with 15/20mm spaces front/rear. Which brings the offset down to ET36/31. Snow tires were OEM sized - 225/40/18 but ran narrow. These were on DG springs/oem struts. I had to do the fender screw and lightly roll fenders front at this point.
IMG_3035.jpeg

IMG_3036.jpeg

19x8.5 ET35 on bilstien pss coilovers w/ 235/35/19 tires that ran pretty average sized. Coils were set on the bottom 1/3rd of adjustability. Required shaved fender liners front and rear, pulled/rolled front fenders and -2.5 camber to run these without rubbing. When I say that, I am referring to driving in anger at full lock and compression without getting any touching components. It took a lot of trial and error to figure that out... you can see it on the tires.

IMG_4141.jpeg

IMG_4128.jpeg

IMG_4332.jpeg

IMG_3603.jpeg

Current is 18x8.5 et41 on 225/40/18 - my tires run a bit large. I'm flush, but with brand new tires I'll definitely hit for the first few hundred miles until it gets shaved down a tiny bit. I could run slightly more camber to fix this and also probably fit a larger tire, but I'm also lowered pretty aggressively for what I want to do.
IMG_1256.jpeg

IMG_1348.jpeg

IMG_1208.jpeg

IMG_1265.jpeg

Last edited:

clownish

just clowning around
19x8.5 et45 on 235/35/19 tires that run wider.Was using a 5mm/7mm spacer to clearance calipers front/rear as well so that lowers the offset to ET40/38. bilstien pss10s set lower than previous set so camber is -2.0 all the way around.

IMG_0786.jpeg

IMG_1206.jpeg

OEM 18x7.5 et51 wheels with 15/20mm spacers front rear lowering offset to ET36/31 on 235/40/18 tires. these were pretty average sized but some people will say they're wider - they definitely have a square sidewall. These have VWR springs on bilstien b8 struts so a moderate lowering, with no fender screw and front fenders rolled lightly. Camber was probably around -1 all the way around. As an example, the gold BBS wheels I had rubbed like crazy with the same suspension set up, due to that minor offset variance of ET35, plus the larger tires of 235/35/19. It was enough that I would have had to run more camber than was reasonable and I think I only used them on this car for about a week before I got annoyed.
IMG_1542.jpeg

IMG_1606.jpeg

Not my car - or me. But this was my buddy's mk6 gti. et40 18x9 wheels with -1.5 camber all the way around on 225/40/18 (stock) sized so a bit stretched. Frame notch, etc. aired out it had much more camber, obviously but driving height it was pretty neutral.
IMG_4699.jpeg

IMG_0331.jpeg