GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Newbie: Looking at 2011 GTI

-=Jeff=-

Hi all,

I am looking at a 2011 GTI for my son.. Really nice car, quick and looks like a ton of fun.. BUT my son wants tech and says the GTI is Archaic. I believe the one we saw was a Base GTI

Here is what he wants:
-Apple Car Play ( I saw the thread(s) on the RCD330plus units)

-LED Bulbs everywhere, interior and exterior, where feasible. Seem certainly doable.

-HID or Projector Headlights.. IS this an option or possibility (I know the HIDs need projectors)

-Auto headlight switch. I think I saw it could be added..

he said he could not figure out how to adjust the recline on the seat, is it the Knob on the side of the seat?

The particular car is quite clean, 2-door (he wants 4 door) but could manage with 2.

To be honest, he likes the Chevy Cruze too, that would be a newer car (2016) but his budget does not allow for a reasonable mileage car. This GTI fits his budget and if I were him I would buy the GTI. but I like fun cars.. my daily is a 2016 Charger and I also have a 1990 Corvette ZR-1

Crusader10143

Passed Driver's Ed
Not sure if the GTI comes stock with interior LED's. Mine were regular bulbs but I converted all of them to LED, cheap and easy to do. Which ever year GTI you look at be on the lookout for maintenance records depending on the year. Anything up to 2012 check for updated timing chain tensioner being done or the water pump being replaced.

-=Jeff=-

1 owner car.. 65k miles.

High maintenance in what regard?

The GTI has a timing chain? Not a belt? Is there still a replacement interval for the chain?

How would I find out about the upgraded tensioner?

Crusader10143

Passed Driver's Ed
Yes these cars are definitely high maintenance. At that mileage I would surely check into if the chain has been replaced and if the updated tensioner was installed. I believe you can pop the timing chain cover off and check the tensioner. Also at that mileage your likely going to be looking at doing a carbon cleaning soon depending on if that was done or not.

-=Jeff=-

Does the chain have an interval for replacement? I know on my Chevys in the past I never needed to replace the chain.. even my lotus designed LT5 does not need Chain replacement.

I can understand the tensioner, but is the chain required as well? Interesting info on the carbon clean. What else makes these high maintenance?

Saw info on the PCV, do these motors eat oil? what causes the PCV to fail? how often should that part be replaced?

aj_law

Go Kart Champion
How old is your son?

Anybody that would take a Cruze over a GTI obviously hasn't driven them. VW is...more finicky...than a Chevy and will require more steadfast maintenance. However, the Cruze will feel like a tin can compared to the GTI.

Tech can always be improved. Bump up from the base if the halogen headlights are a turn off.

-=Jeff=-

Son is 15.. gets his license in Sept.. he is not into cars like me, I would be doing maintenance, He drove the GTI, put a smile on his face.. He has not driven the Cruze yet, I told him tech can be added too..

DASVDUB

Drag Racing Champion
Son is 15.. gets his license in Sept.. he is not into cars like me, I would be doing maintenance, He drove the GTI, put a smile on his face.. He has not driven the Cruze yet, I told him tech can be added too..

lol, hell of a first car. to each their own. I got into enough trouble with a 130hp mazda 3

alpha3

Go Kart Champion
I can understand the tensioner, but is the chain required as well? Interesting info on the carbon clean. What else makes these high maintenance?
Saw info on the PCV, do these motors eat oil? what causes the PCV to fail? how often should that part be replaced?

Some TSI's, I hear, eat oil. Mine doesn't, and I run the hell out of the car, although it's highway miles. I usually change the oil at about 7k miles and never have to add in between. Personally......I don't think the GTI is high maintenance....but if you NEGLECT maintenance, the car most certainly will get even with you for doing that. It's not like some other cars that will tolerate some benign neglect. I do the maintenance, and have had very few issues with mine and I'm now at 84k miles.

Regarding the timing chain, it's not so much the timing chain, as it is the tensioner in earlier model years. Failed tensioners usually result in ruined engines. There's a new tensioner that came out so the 2013's/ 14's have the improved tensioner.

As for PCV's, the diaphragm ruptures or they get carbon clogged, which when they go bad causes the rear main seal to leak at the tranny. PCV relatively cheap to fix, and easy DIY. Big expensive job to fix the RMS.

Crusader10143

Passed Driver's Ed
Does the chain have an interval for replacement? I know on my Chevys in the past I never needed to replace the chain.. even my lotus designed LT5 does not need Chain replacement.

I've seen some people go 100k+ on the original chain, its tough to say for different people. I would just listen for chain rattle on start up and if you do the tensioner just check the chains for slack. Mine barely eats any oil but I also keep up on maintenance. I would recommend an oil catch on these cars to save from carbon build up and oil decrease. I'm not sure what causes the PCV to fail, I just know its known problem in some GTI's. It might be worth just replacing it to be safe and not have to worry about it in the future. Some other things to watch for are the DV's. They can tear and cause boost leaks. There is also a revised DV for them you can get.

-=Jeff=-

you have to maintain these cars. it's not just put oil in it and go like on that cruze.

Yes I get that.. There is more to it than oil changes/filters and gas

Some TSI's, I hear, eat oil. Mine doesn't, and I run the hell out of the car, although it's highway miles. I usually change the oil at about 7k miles and never have to add in between. Personally......I don't think the GTI is high maintenance....but if you NEGLECT maintenance, the car most certainly will get even with you for doing that. It's not like some other cars that will tolerate some benign neglect. I do the maintenance, and have had very few issues with mine and I'm now at 84k miles.

Regarding the timing chain, it's not so much the timing chain, as it is the tensioner in earlier model years. Failed tensioners usually result in ruined engines. There's a new tensioner that came out so the 2013's/ 14's have the improved tensioner.

As for PCV's, the diaphragm ruptures or they get carbon clogged, which when they go bad causes the rear main seal to leak at the tranny. PCV relatively cheap to fix, and easy DIY. Big expensive job to fix the RMS.

Thanks for the Details, exactly what I was looking for.. also if I understand the tensioner is fairly easy to get to? meaning there is an upper cover to access it and replace it ( or check it at least). I know it is an interference motor like most.

The other interesting maintenance item is Carbon cleaning. I know it can build up, but why doe sit sound excessive on these cars?

THANKS

DASVDUB

Drag Racing Champion
Changing the tensioner is no small task. In your Chicago area contact Jay745 for a hookup on getting that installed. They do it for a FRACTION of what shops charge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk