GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

No 89 octane tunes?

BigCanoe

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Hey all! Where I live (NC) we have 87/89/93 gas choices. I was wondering why there are no mild off the shelf tunes for 89? Just not worth it when 93 isn't that much more (currently)? Would performance gains be nill?

Related question, if you have a 93 tune and have to run 87, will it adjust automatically to the lower octane?

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
Look for an 87 octane tune to use with 89, going the opposite way is not a chance I would take.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
I don't think the 91 tune was made for mid level octane in states with 93 gas. The 91 tunes are for california people etc which gets 91 the best they can get. As stated before, get the 87 tune and run 89, or get a 93 tune and run 93.

Or get the 87 tune and run 93 or 89 in it.

Hey all! Where I live (NC) we have 87/89/93 gas choices. I was wondering why there are no mild off the shelf tunes for 89? Just not worth it when 93 isn't that much more (currently)? Would performance gains be nill?

Related question, if you have a 93 tune and have to run 87, will it adjust automatically to the lower octane?

BigCanoe

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Yea, I would never intentionally run less octane than need, I was just wondering what happens, if the tune can adapt. Thank you! I didn't know there was an 87 tune as well, that is good to know.

I have an automatic SE, and want to do some safe upgrades just for commuting.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
If you live where this is 93 (everywhere has it here in VA) get a 93 tune, it is set up to give you the proper ignition advance to take advantage of it. Running 93 on a 91 tune doesn't automatically give you a 93 tune's power. I have researched your question on running lower octane than your tune requires and based on it, I see it will work just fine but drops the power as the timing adjusts (retards) to deal with the detonation i.e. running 91 on a 93 tune. This was from tuning company reps posting on the boards answering the same question. For me, I'll just run the required octane of the tune.

BigCanoe

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
So Stage 1 is 91 and Stage 1+ is 93? No difference other than more octane in the gas? And more power out of course.

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
Octane in and of itself doesn't generate more power. What it allows is a more aggressive timing map before pre-detonation sets in. Lower octane will pre-detonate earlier so the timing maps, etc can't be as aggressive, ie, usually lowering power output.

Of course there are all kinds of other variables at play but this is the "simple" explanation as to why higher octane can be beneficial........too a point. The ECU only has so much room to adapt. And external conditions play a role as well, like load, altitude, temperature and many others.......

JCAT

To quote myself from a different thread.

... run a 91 tune but fill up with 93. I like having the extra error margin in case of a bad tank of gas or something and I also want to be able to take the car out of state without having to worry about finding 93 wherever I go. To me, the marginal increase in power from a 91 to 93 octane tune isn't worth the piece of mind and versatility I get from the 91 tune...

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
If you live where this is 93 (everywhere has it here in VA) get a 93 tune, it is set up to give you the proper ignition advance to take advantage of it. Running 93 on a 91 tune doesn't automatically give you a 93 tune's power. I have researched your question on running lower octane than your tune requires and based on it, I see it will work just fine but drops the power as the timing adjusts (retards) to deal with the detonation i.e. running 91 on a 93 tune. This was from tuning company reps posting on the boards answering the same question. For me, I'll just run the required octane of the tune.

No, running 93 on a 91 tune doesn’t give you 93 tune power. But what it does give you is something called headroom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Tune calibrates timing for 93 so no...not the same tune.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk