GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Noob question: 2010 GTI tensioner update?

nitrousaddict

Hey guys, first post and just got a 2010 GTI about a month ago. I'm going through the list of things I need to replace/upgrade to go along with my Stage 1 tune. This tensioner that can break on pre-2012 GTI's looks like it causes a ton of damage. From what I can tell, mine is fine. THe updated tensioner is like 56$.

Long story short, is this just a case of a 50$ repair to a possible huge problem? I can replace it myself I think, I just want to make sure I need just the tensioner and not other parts, as well as making sure this is actually needed in the first place.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
It's a little more than that. 9 times out of 10 you end up damaging the cover while removing it. Also being a 2010 the cover is likely to be in bad shape. There are some folks on here that swear you can do it without damaging the cover but in my experience having done 7 of these for local people, I'd just replace the cover along with it.

You also need a crank counter hold tool in order to get the crank pulley off which is about $100.

https://shopdap.com/store/tsi-timing-chain-tensioner-service-kit.html

Dans GTI

Ready to race!
The tensioner is the least of your worries. You need specialty tools and know-how. My opinion is, if your not 100% confident in doing it, then have someone else do it.

It's about $350 for specialty tools, and parts. You'll definitely need a new timing cover, it was impossible to take my cover off without bending it. The sealant they use is like super glue, and the cover its self feels like its paper thin.

nitrousaddict

It's a little more than that. 9 times out of 10 you end up damaging the cover while removing it. Also being a 2010 the cover is likely to be in bad shape. There are some folks on here that swear you can do it without damaging the cover but in my experience having done 7 of these for local people, I'd just replace the cover along with it.

You also need a crank counter hold tool in order to get the crank pulley off which is about $100.

https://shopdap.com/store/tsi-timing-chain-tensioner-service-kit.html

well that's no fun :( If I took it to a shop any idea what they would charge? I was hoping it wasn't a common issue so I could either postpone it or not do it at all (i change my oil every 5k and put my emergency brake on every time the car is in park), I know it's not based on mileage but it only has 85k.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
well that's no fun :( If I took it to a shop any idea what they would charge? I was hoping it wasn't a common issue so I could either postpone it or not do it at all (i change my oil every 5k and put my emergency brake on every time the car is in park), I know it's not based on mileage but it only has 85k.

I charge a flat $1000 for this, dealers are more expensive at least here in chicago charging about $1500. I've seen other indy shops charging anywhere from 750-1200.

At 85k I would definitely consider doing it sooner than later.

tkelly0727

Ready to race!

theres two ways of approaching the timing chain tensioner. the first one would be just the tensioner and i got qouted 500 for the job. the second option is updated the tensioner, chain, guide i got quotes 900 for that one. im in the same boat as you i have a 10' gti with 96k. and im getting mine done soon.

Pooley

Ready to race!
theres two ways of approaching the timing chain tensioner. the first one would be just the tensioner and i got qouted 500 for the job. the second option is updated the tensioner, chain, guide i got quotes 900 for that one. im in the same boat as you i have a 10' gti with 96k. and im getting mine done soon.

If you can get the chains, guides, and tensioner replaced for $900 all-in parts and labor then run to them tomorrow and book it. I did that job myself a month or so ago and parts alone cost almost $800 (including a new lower timing cover and oil) buying online for VW parts and that's with already owning the specialty tools needed. A dealer would charge near double that quote. The shop would be doing many hours of work plus accepting the liability of potentially ruining your engine if not done properly for almost nothing. Never seen/heard anywhere near that price for a timing chain+tensioner job for this engine.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

nitrousaddict

If I just update the tensioner itself it should be be ok and cost around 500? i'm not TOO keen on spending 500-1000 on a car i just bought.

BlueE30

Ready to race!
If I just update the tensioner itself it should be be ok and cost around 500? i'm not TOO keen on spending 500-1000 on a car i just bought.

Depends. Some shops quote 3 hours to do the job plus about $250 in parts... $550 is lowest you'll get... think typically it's a $1,000 job from most places. Totally up to you, if it craps out you will probably need an entire new engine which will run you thousands.

nitrousaddict

red_stapler

Ready to race!
You might want to check and make sure the previous owner didn't already do this work.