GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

NYT Wheels Blog: Driving the Volkswagen Golf GTD

NYCSuits

Go Kart Champion
I saw it this past Friday around 6:30pm on New York Thruway 87 heading north near exit 14...I was going in the opposite direction and I spotted him about a mile out with that paint job

Sandwich_Dan

Ready to race!
Shame they don't sell it in that colour, I could have been tempted if it was available.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
What's the difference between tdi and gtd?

+30hp,
slightly different turbo
slightly different injectors
GTI interior/exterior bits

Sandwich_Dan

Ready to race!
What's the difference between tdi and gtd?

I'll probably miss a few things, but here goes....

Engine: 170hp and 258lbft and instead of 140hp and 236lbft. It's actually a slightly older spec engine, but apparently can take a bit more tuning if you're that way inclined.
Suspension: Not quite the GTI setup but the dropped by 15mm all around (GTI is 22mm at the front) and stiffened compared to a standard UK spec Golf (not sure about the US TDI).
Brakes: Bigger (don't have the sizes to hand). Also the GTD gets XDS like the GTI rather than the standard EDL that the TDI gets.
Bodykit: Same as the GTI except the red strips on the grille are chrome.
Exhaust: Twin chromed exhaust pipes on one side.
Interior: Same as the GTI, the only differences are that the red stitching is light grey and the badge on the wheel says GTD. UK spec now gets leather as standard (same as Autobahn spec GTI) but before that the plaid didn't have any red in it.
Wheels: 17" Seattle Shadow as standard (not available in the US), 18" Charleston as an option (I think they're the same as the Autobahn wheels on US spec GTIs).
Toys: Country specific but the UK cars get 2Zone automatic climate control, digital radio, MDI (ipod), bluetooth, auto lights and wipers, oil temp display in the MFD, LED rear lights (even if you don't spec xenon headlights).

..and, even in a country with loads of standard looking Golfs the GTD gets as many, if not more, second glances from the general public than any car I've owned except for my old RX-8.

Sandwich_Dan

Ready to race!
I almost forgot, the GTD also gets the fake engine sound generator from the GTI. With the windows closed it actually sounds pretty good in a gruff, getting things done kind of way. Coming from a 335i (sounds better than just about any 6-pot BMW at low revs, M-cars included) and the RX-8 before that (9000+rpm in a tunnel is fun) I'm very glad to have it fitted.

nuc

Ready to race!
“That’s the diesel, right?” the driver asked. I offered a nod and a grin. “I want it,” he said. “God, do I want it.”

Yep. My sentiments exactly. I'd love to see VW reasoning as to why it's not here already.
Today in Montreal we hit 1.50$/L (5.00+/USD/Gal) for 87, more and more people are looking at diesels.