GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ODBII Y cable to run APR Mobile and P3 gauge

tdream1

Autocross Newbie
I purchased a flat ribbon ODBII splitter Y cable from Amazon a few months ago. I have been unsuccessful in getting APR Mobile to work with it. The P3 works fine with both devices plugged in. I would love to find a cable that would allow them to work simultaneously.

Anyone have a similar dilemma? I've read a bunch of reviews on other cables, but none have specifically mentioned APR Mobile. If you have found something that works, please let me know. Thanks!

Moderators, please move to Electronics section.

Last edited:

tdream1

Autocross Newbie
^^ Bummer. Thanks for the info!

A3SBQ

Ready to race!
None should work, OBDII doesn't have enough juice to run both at the same time.

APR should make a dongle that supports a display output. That way we get both :happyanim:

tdream1

Autocross Newbie
^ Or have made the dongle a pass thru from the get go.

reshwitz

Ready to race!
I don't know anything about the APR dongle but I believe there are issues with OBD devices trying to access the same data/systems of the car at the same time rather than a power issue.

It may be the case that when the P3 is powered up and reading data it will prevent the APR Mobile dongle from accessing those same data.

Doesnt the P3 gauge have a boost limit anyways -- per the computer output? unless you log and pull lamda. Prob be cheaper to install an analog boost gauge, and more accurate when running higher boost?

just my initial thought -- not that im correct

sean@apr

Ready to race!
According to P3, this works. I haven't tested it.

There's plenty of power on the OBD port, the issue is what they talk to. If they try to talk to same things we are, the dongle will stop talking.

That's done as a safety measure so the car can be flashed with a dongle installed or work correctly with one of those insurance company logging devices.

corrado917

Go Kart Champion
I have one at home, never use it - Will test it this weekend!

yardfog

Ready to race!
I spoke with P3 a couple of months back about this and they told me they were coming out with a splitter soon for this purpose.

tdream1

Autocross Newbie
I spoke with P3 a couple of months back about this and they told me they were coming out with a splitter soon for this purpose.

SWEET

greasyginzo

Go Kart Champion
P3 cars has their own OBD 2 splitter. I have one sitting in my glove box I just have to hook it up and try it but according to P3 it works fine and even displays "APR" on the P3 gauge when logging.

Edit: its not on their website but email Tim@p3cars.com they are $30

tdream1

Autocross Newbie
^ Thanks for the info!