GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Official USA 2011 GTI Changes

McSwine

Ready to race!
Just read thru the long thread on Vortex. Just to be sure I understand, to get the Dynaudio upgrade, you have to get leather? I sure hope not.

moltenlava

Looks like the changes made on 2011 were done in order to keep the cost down further and lower the base price. The common sense says the upgrades will still be available to each trim options. You should be able to get Dynaudio or Xenon lights as a separate option on the lower trim levels. If not, VW is making a huge mistake doing this. The head units (with or w/o NAV) with smaller LCD display is a disappointment. Maybe larger LCD will be available only as upgrade, in conjunction with Dynaudio, with increased upgrade cost. Keep in mind that GTI is a 25000 EURO car. With the unfavorable EURO to Dollar ratio GTI suddenly becomes $31k which is the segment GTI cannot compete in. VW had to cut A LOT of options in order to keep the price within $25K in the US market. It looks like VW is continuing to cut the options and costs. 2011 model is likely to cost more than comparably equipped 2010 model.

LittleJohny

Go Kart Champion
Looks like the changes made on 2011 were done in order to keep the cost down further and lower the base price. The common sense says the upgrades will still be available to each trim options. You should be able to get Dynaudio or Xenon lights as a separate option on the lower trim levels. If not, VW is making a huge mistake doing this. The head units (with or w/o NAV) with smaller LCD display is a disappointment. Maybe larger LCD will be available only as upgrade, in conjunction with Dynaudio, with increased upgrade cost. Keep in mind that GTI is a 25000 EURO car. With the unfavorable EURO to Dollar ratio GTI suddenly becomes $31k which is the segment GTI cannot compete in. VW had to cut A LOT of options in order to keep the price within $25K in the US market. It looks like VW is continuing to cut the options and costs. 2011 model is likely to cost more than comparably equipped 2010 model.

lol your first sentence said this was done to keep the costs down. And your closing sentence says the cost will likely be more.

And regarding individual options. As said earlier in this thread:
The GTI no longer has factory options. Only the packages I posted.

moltenlava

lol your first sentence said this was done to keep the costs down. And your closing sentence says the cost will likely be more.

Little Johnny, if you are having trouble reading let me spell it out for you. VW is cutting down on the standard equipments to keep the cost down in the US. The base model costs less in the US, but they are also less well equipped. It looks like VW is continuing that practice, as evidenced by the inferior standard radio in 2011 year model. If 2011 model costs exactly the same as 2010 model, because of inferior standard radio and who knows what else, you are getting less for the same money. And comparably equipped 2011 model is likely to cost more than 2010. That shouldn't be a surprise to you as the price usually goes up each year, but rarely down.

And regarding individual options. As said earlier in this thread: The GTI no longer has factory options. Only the packages I posted.

Understood. I said doing that defies common sense, as there is no reason to force the customers to buy NAV just to get Xenon lights. We'll know more when we hear the official announcement from VW.

LittleJohny

Go Kart Champion
I assure you I have little trouble reading your post. The general consensus seems to be that only packages are being offered in order to bring down the cost of those options (ie. economy of scale).

And if YOU are having trouble reading, let me spell it out for you. It's LittleJohny: J-O-H-N-Y, ie. with one N only ;)

daihard

Ready to race!

And regarding individual options. As said earlier in this thread:

Is it possible that some of the current factory options may be offered as dealer options for the 2011 models? I'd think options like Dynaudio and NAV can be installed by the dealership - at least technically speaking.

moltenlava

The general consensus seems to be that only packages are being offered in order to bring down the cost of those options (ie. economy of scale).

The entire thread is based on single report on vwvortex.com. It's probably mostly accurate, but it's probably not entirely accurate. It's up to you how much you want to believe in the rumor.

And if YOU are having trouble reading, let me spell it out for you. It's LittleJohny: J-O-H-N-Y, ie. with one N only ;)

lol. Your nickname has a typo. ;)

LittleJohny

Go Kart Champion
Is it possible that some of the current factory options may be offered as dealer options for the 2011 models? I'd think options like Dynaudio and NAV can be installed by the dealership - at least technically speaking.
According to what's been said, there will be no options... just those packages.

I agree there's a bit of he-said-she-said going on.... but I think this information came from what VW has given to its dealerships. So I guess it's "official", just not "publically available" yet?

and rawr, my nickname is perfect :p lol!

VWVic

Passed Driver's Ed
If anyone is having a hard time believing that VWoA is going to limit buyers with these predetermined option packages just go to the VW website and try to spec out a CC the way you'd like it. The only non-accessory (wheels, mats, iPod hookup) option on a base model CC is the transmission. That's it. Bump up to the luxury model and the only option is the Xenon/Wheel package. But no more manual transmission. Ridiculous. Audi has been going this package route with their US offerings as well. It's really a shame as it really limits personalization. At least you can still choose doors and transmission at any trim level...

-V

nyte3k

Ready to race!
Seems like Edmunds.com had posted the 2011 pricing for the GTI.

Click here.

Seems cheaper actually... with the 2010 model built the same (Sunroof, Nav, Xenon, Bluetooth, 18" wheels, 6mt) the MSRP is $28,614

The 2011 GTI with w/ Sunroof and Nav came out to $27,645 . Both prices with destination.

I'm guessing the invoice to MSRP pricing difference will be about the same, which was about $2,000 on a similarly equipped 2010. The 2010 model I was initially considering wouldn't have had nav, and woudl have been about hte same price as a 2011 model WITH nav.

Seems like a winner to me.

krische

vdubber in training
Seems cheaper actually... with the 2010 model built the same (Sunroof, Nav, Xenon, Bluetooth, 18" wheels, 6mt) the MSRP is $28,614

The 2011 GTI with w/ Sunroof and Nav came out to $27,645 . Both prices with destination.

I'm guessing the invoice to MSRP pricing difference will be about the same, which was about $2,000 on a similarly equipped 2010. The 2010 model I was initially considering wouldn't have had nav, and woudl have been about hte same price as a 2011 model WITH nav.

Seems like a winner to me.

I guess the cost saving measure of doing packages is true then.