GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Oil for my girl's '97 Chevy/Geo Prizm

zwalk

Drag Race Newbie
Hey guys I figured this is about as off topic as it gets since this isn't VW related, but my girlfriend has a '97 Prizm (basically a corolla, same motor and all)

I was curious about what oil you guys would recommend she use. Manual says 5w30, but seeing as it is a 150k mile vehicle I have had 10w30 suggested to me numerous times as well as 10w40.

It's also running non synthetic.

I'm planning on doing the change today before she makes a drive that's 2 hours out f the way to see family.

Any input?

Thanks again everyone. Love this forum and all the helpful people that are a part of it.

My Flickr!

Merkle

Banned
Valvoline MaxLife Synthetic blend, or Mobil 1 High Mileage full synthetic, better additive pack than the eco energy blend.

zwalk

Drag Race Newbie
So you guys think I should switch her over to synthetic? I had heard there's not much difference in a car that old but I'm up for it

My Flickr!

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Cheapest oil per mile is what i'd use. Which is mobil 1 5w30 or 10w30 and change every 7500 to 10k.

I am doing this on my crown vic and I am now at 342k miles.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
So nonsynthetic Mobil 1 5w30

My Flickr!

If you use synthetic you can change it 2x less frequent so in the end it comes out cheaper. And you waste less time changing oil etc.

zwalk

Drag Race Newbie
Yeah she would likely wait 7-10k to change that shit. Very true. Less sludge too.

My Flickr!

Brinkmen

VW NUT!
I'd say buy her a GTI. It comes with oil so good deal IMHO. ;) Then she wouldn't have to drive a crap car.

zwalk

Drag Race Newbie
It's not really a crap car. It gets good gas mileage and it's one of the more reliable high mileage cars you can buy.

She's been on her own since 15 so it works for her and I'm proud of her for making it work. She will sell it when she no longer needs a in town commuter and starts her career next year. Then we'll shop. I'm thinking something Deisel.

My Flickr!

Merkle

Banned
It's essentially a Corolla, reliable to the end. The only reason I wouldn't' switch to synthetic is if you are having issues with oil leaking.

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
Cheapest oil per mile is what i'd use. Which is mobil 1 5w30 or 10w30 and change every 7500 to 10k.

I am doing this on my crown vic and I am now at 342k miles.

holy shit, those cars pretty much never die, i watched top gear america where they did $500 car challenge, and one of them bought a '92 crown vic about 500,000 miles? it drove from LA to SF, while the ol mercedes and festiva died :laugh:

zwalk

Drag Race Newbie
Ended up using a 'High mileage' synthetic blend to operate within her budget....Unfortunately two days later her 20 year old oil cap blew off...Spent a little quality time with the power washer after that -_-'

Running great now, just needed a new cap and a top off ^_^ thank you guys again

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Weird... oil caps rarely "blow off" everything else ok with the car?