GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Opinion: What's the Best Aftermarket OBD2 Scanner?

PghDan

Ready to race!
Since I don't have a laptop, and can't afford to buy one + a VAG cable + the VCDS/VAGCOM software, I'm curious what aftermarket OBD2 scanners everyone here has used and likes.

Has anyone used the Xtool VAG401? I've read that it actually functions very much like VAGCOM scan tool and gives you access to the same "blocks" as the VAGCOM software does.

How about the Ancel VD500? Or maybe one of the Harbor Freight OBD2 scanners such as the Zurich ZR4?

What did you like? What did you not like?

GeorgiaBII

Drag Race Newbie
For 95% of what I do the torque app and a cheap 20 Buick bluetooth dongle is all I need. For the other 5% I use vagcom

GolNat

Autocross Champion
If not vagcom then I would do OBD11.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
OBD 11 just came out with a new revision. As above post stated, it's supposed to be VCDs in mobile form and a bit more user friendly interface. I own one but wouldn't know. I haven't actually used it yet...

GolNat

Autocross Champion
OBD11 is pretty cool and I find that it translates from VCDS pretty well (as far as blocks and parameters go). You can data log jsut like VCDS it's just more cumbersome to get it converted to a spreadsheet you can use.

Boost log using OBD11 just for fun.

PghDan

Ready to race!
The funny thing is that I never heard of OBDEleven until last week, and when I heard it in a YouTube video I immediately assumed the person that said it made a dumb mistake and thought that the "OBD II" port on his car was OBD Eleven, rather then OBD 2. The joke's on me now haha.

OBDEleven Pro seems interesting, but I've also seen a fair amount of posts or comments where people downvote it because you have to use in-app credits to use certain functions of the app. Is that true? Is there a limit to how much you can use without acquiring more credits?

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
I was an early adopter and unless somethings changed you only need to use credits if you want to do the quick coding functions (apps) which I literally never use. I've messed around with them but have like 600 credits I literally never use, you get one daily. You can still code everything manually just like in VCDS without ever needing to touch the apps if you do your research. You have full access to all the measuring blocks, basic settings, adaptations, logging etc. The only knock I have on it is logging is more tedious to set up than VCDS but it works. Also the devs are constantly updating the app to this day and its gotten WAY better since it first came out.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Budgetphoenix covered it all. I just recently bought it and it still works just like he described it. Logging is tedious but can be done. There is a forum that you can go to for help but I have been able to find everything I have needed. They do update the app which is nice. If you have a serious problem I do believe it could be solved on OBD11 just like on VCDS it would just take longer and be more tedious because it's on a phone rather then a laptop. I actually bought a cheap android phone just for OB11 since I only have an iPhone. They now have a iOS system available but it might still be in beta, not sure.

If you are constantly turning something on and off and don't want to have to dive into the settings then you can purchase an "app" style button that will do it in one touch. IMO it's more for shops that might be needing to reset or change things often on multiple cars.

Last edited:

PghDan

Ready to race!
Just to bring this thread to a close, I ended up buying an OBDEleven Pro from ECS Tuning. While I can clear codes with a cheap $20 bluetooth scan tool, and pair that with Torque Pro for another $5 to view live data, the ability of OBDEleven to do coding and enter the value blocks much like VCDS was too much to pass up.

Thank you all for the feedback and suggestions!