GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Parking in 1st gear Bad or okay?

m0j0jojo

Passed Driver's Ed
I have a manual GTI, and my drive way is a bit, steep enough to make the car roll back without the handbrakes and leaving it in neutral. So my question is will my car get ruined if I park my car in 1st gear with handbrake on?

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
You're suppose to park in gear if you're on an incline...I never have with any of my manuals and I've never had a problem, but I've never had my handbrake go out on me before either.

What I would do is pull the handbrake while you're still pushing the brake pedal. If you have the car in gear don't let it roll back and then pull the handbrake when it stops. It might not matter at all, but I feel like that extra tension is part of what contributes to a failed timing chain tensioner.

pdan

Ready to race!
I’ve parked every single manual car I’ve ever driven in gear every time. I put the parking brake on first and then put it into 1st or 2nd usually. Habit that I picked up from both my parents and have done it ever since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gijoewoz

Go Kart Champion
You should always be leaving your car in gear when parked, always! Pull the brake first, so that the brake is holding the weight of the car, and not the transmission, but put it into gear. If the brake fails (the cables stretch over time, and most people don't bother to adjust them, so you have to pull harder and harder on the brake to set it properly), then you have the transmission to hold the car.

In case my point wasn't clear, never leave your car in neutral while parked.

I'm going to sound like an old man, but what do they teach to new drivers these days? I understand driver's ed isn't required, but so many basics (and not just etiquette, but actual laws) are completely foreign to most drivers.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
I’ve parked every single manual car I’ve ever driven in gear every time. I put the parking brake on first and then put it into 1st or 2nd usually. Habit that I picked up from both my parents and have done it ever since.

This^

I park as normal by using the parking brake then put it in gear, this way it’s not resting on the gears but has a safety net should it roll back! If it’s a particularly steep hill I’m parking on however I put it in first or reverse depending on direction and take up the slack (as if performing a hill start and at the same time apply the parking brake and turn the car off while leaving it in gear, never ever had an issue doing this in my many years of driving!

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
I've left my car in neutral for the last 11 years, but...I'm in SWFL where everything is flat so I don't really care. I could leave it in neutral with no handbrake and it wouldn't be a problem almost anywhere I parked, but I'm not that confident/stupid.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Just to clarify! If I’m parking on the flat I just use the parking brake.

gijoewoz

Go Kart Champion
Just to clarify! If I’m parking on the flat I just use the parking brake.

Just to clarify, you should still put it in gear. You would be very surprised by how small of a slant it actually takes to get a car rolling. Putting a car in gear needs to be habitual under all circumstance.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Just to clarify, you should still put it in gear. You would be very surprised by how small of a slant it actually takes to get a car rolling. Putting a car in gear needs to be habitual under all circumstance.

Yes I agree, On any sort of incline I do put it in gear.

PhthaloType

Go Kart Champion
"Shift manual transmission into 1st gear (on level ground or if pointed uphill) or reverse (if pointed downhill)" -Owner's Manual

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
Go fig... with my prev Veedubs that's what I always did. With the Saab I had no choice if I wanted my key out.

Wonder why all manufacturers dont do that... annnnyhoow.. with the tensioner issue on these cars Ive avoided that move.

My move is to do what they taught in drivers school.. point wheels towards curb on hill depending if parked uphill or down.

I dont crank on the e-brake.

When i had my 2010 Passat with the dumbass electronic brake I did leave that one in gear due to the rampant failures I read about doe...

To the OP.. do what you feel is right. Lots of great minds answered your Q fully.

aj_law

Go Kart Champion

Korydogg

Ready to race!
I have always known that putting it in gear after you pull the handbrake is good practice...and would agree. However, why does everyone think that the car cant roll if you put it in first? Of course this is really dependent on the degree of grade you're parked on....but doesn't it make more sense to put it in 6th? I mean, the weight of the car should be plenty enough to overcome the gearing of 1st gear and moreover, the compression of a 2 liter engine.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
I have always known that putting it in gear after you pull the handbrake is good practice...and would agree. However, why does everyone think that the car cant roll if you put it in first? Of course this is really dependent on the degree of grade you're parked on....but doesn't it make more sense to put it in 6th? I mean, the weight of the car should be plenty enough to overcome the gearing of 1st gear and moreover, the compression of a 2 liter engine.

If you’re pointing up hill put it in first, if pointing downhill put it in reverse, it won’t go anywhere! Think about it!